• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music pauses randomly after Oreo upgrade

Hey everyone,

I just got the Android Oreo update and ever since, music will pause without warning with no apparent trigger. This occurs in multiple apps (Play Music and Spotify, at least). Anyone else seen this? Have you figured out a workaround?

Same here, happens with podcast apps as well.
It often happens when I take it out of the pocket. And no, it's not because I press anything. It started after the oreo update. I'm on a nexus 5x and wired earbuds.

Upvote 0
Are you streaming via WiFi when this happens or via mobile data? Does this happen in all locations and situations or does it happen in a certain location?

Just thinking you could possibly be having buffer issues if connection is spotty. In the Play Music app, try downloading an album for offline listening and see if it pauses. If you're not streaming and the music streaming and the music still pauses, that's a bigger problem. If on device music does not pause, it's most likely a connection issue.

Upvote 0
Are you streaming via WiFi when this happens or via mobile data? Does this happen in all locations and situations or does it happen in a certain location?

Just thinking you could possibly be having buffer issues if connection is spotty. In the Play Music app, try downloading an album for offline listening and see if it pauses. If you're not streaming and the music streaming and the music still pauses, that's a bigger problem. If on device music does not pause, it's most likely a connection issue.

I've noticed it only when streaming over mobile data, though I wouldn't totally swear it's never happened on WiFi. It usually happens at the beginning of a session on Play Music, but occasionally has happened later on.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones