1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Music player for S5

Discussion in 'Android Apps & Games' started by km2002, Sep 2, 2016.

1. km2002

km2002 Well-Known Member
    None

Aug 25, 2010
    Hi,

Been looking for a player with the flexibility Winamp used to have on the desktop; specifically, I want to be able to create playlists of unlimited tracks just by pointing to a folder, I want to be able to remove from said playlist anything in a particular folder or two, I want to be able to sort the list by path and filename. I want it to do the usual things as well, such as shuffle and repeat. And I want it all to operate on the S5, no pesky cloud usage, no pesky limits on number of tracks, no pesky accounts to create on someone else's server. Anyone know one?

Thanks, all.

Advertisement

2. RazzMaTazz

RazzMaTazz Android Expert

Jan 28, 2011
    I've tried LOTS of music player apps on Android (including WinAmp for Android) but I can't recall ever seeing one that sorts playlists by path-name since (unlike on PCs) path-name-sorting is not a very useful feature on phones for most people.

On my S5, I use the latest version of the stock Samsung "Music" player (version 16.1.63-15). It can play folders and it can add an entire folder to a playlist. (It can't subtract an entire folder from a playlist but you can remove specific songs.) Of course it does all the normal stuff.

I used to use an app called Playlist Designer, which allowed the easy creation of playlists based on folders, genres, artists, and other metadata.

FYI: I manage my music and playlists on my PC (Windows Media Player, or more recently MediaMonkey) and just export the playlists to my phone. For M3U playlists generated on the PC, the S5 is smart enough to translate the PC path-names to the Android/Linux pathnames, so I just copy my PC's M3U playists to the "Playlist" folder of my phone. I find it much easier to manage playlists on my PC. FYI2: If you use MediaMonkey (free) on your PC, you can sync all or some of your media with your phone (either one-way or bidirectionally). And by the way, MediaMonkey for Android is a very full featured media player app. So is PowerAmp.

mikedt likes this.
  3. vosg

vosg Android Expert

Aug 12, 2010
    Male
    Software Developer (retired)
    Antwerp, BE
    PowerAmp can display and sort using the filenames. It can add entire folders to play lists.

What I like most about PA is that you can set it to never include duplicates in playlists.

There's a free trial version (not crippled in any way) available in the Google play store. Bet you'll love it.

Thom likes this.