• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music player issues while GPS navigation is running

I have 3 different media players on my phone and I'm not really satisfied with any of them while using using Google Maps navigation. My phone is running Cyanogenmod 10.0, which came with Apollo. I also have Google Play Music and doubleTwist. I find that doubleTwist is the best overall music player, but when I'm using it with nav the music tends to cut in and out while Maps is giving directions. Sometimes the music won't come back on, often when it's interrupted by a notification like a text.

Google Play Music doesn't cut the music out at all when Maps is giving directions, so it's really hard to hear the directions over the music.

Apollo seems to be the best at this, at least when it's working. It will lower the volume of the music so it's quiet in the background while directions are being given and fades back in after. The problem is it only seems to work about half the time - on a lot of songs it doesn't lower the volume at all.

If anyone knows of a music player that works better with this issue I'm all ears. I just installed Poweramp and MixZing and I'll give them a try tomorrow. I'm also wondering if the fact that I'm using Cyanogenmod might have something to do with it. For the record, I'm using Cyanogenmod 10.0 stable for the HTC One S (ville) and Google Maps is updated to the latest version (7.1.0). For what it's worth, I drive a 2012 Ford Focus with the SYNC (not MyFordTouch) system.

One more thing: I've tried using Waze, which a lot of people like but has never played well with my phone, even when I was running stock HTC Sense. It never sent the directions through the bluetooth to the car's speakers.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones