• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music Player with best audio quality?

androidmachine

Android Enthusiast
Dec 18, 2015
There are a couple of other threads on music players so I guess I'll add a third and make it a spate. I know it's almost an obscenity to use the word Hi-Fi when talking about mp3s, so I will merely ask the audiophiles among us which music player has the highest quality audio?

I tried out a number of literally dozens in the Play Store researching the other threads, and I can't really discern a difference. I'm wondering if there are some that render music better than others?

Thanks in advance for lending me your ear!

There are a couple of other threads on music players so I guess I'll add a third and make it a spate. I know it's almost an obscenity to use the word Hi-Fi when talking about mp3s, so I will merely ask the audiophiles among us which music player has the highest quality audio?

I tried out a number of literally dozens in the Play Store researching the other threads, and I can't really discern a difference. I'm wondering if there are some that render music better than others?

Thanks in advance for lending me your ear!
hi
i have a very expansive hi-fi and sennheiser headphones
i always used foobar2000 to play music with my laptop and desktop

aimp3 and now aimp4 was always considerate an great player , there is an android version
i will try it
i don't like to use equalize , in the past i love blackplayer

cheers

Reactions: androidmachine
Upvote 0
about Neutron is there a list of compatible device
how i know , the list of the players with codec included
Re Neutron compatibility, there is an evaluation version you can test for free.

I don't have a list of which music players do what for codecs. TBH back in 2010 or 2011 I tried a lot of music players, found that most were using the stock codec, then when I tried PowerAmp I stopped looking at others. A few years later I heard about Neutron and gave it a spin. I now have both installed, and do actually use both (e.g. I am currently 3/4 of the way through a long series on one so use the other for listening to music).

Reactions: androidmachine
Upvote 0
I have tried a bunch of players. Thus far, the best sounding (to my ears) is hands down Stellio Music Player. To me, it sounds even better than PowerAmp. It has a fullness to the sound that most players lack.

I would say that there isn't a hair of a difference among most of the various players I've tried. They all look and sound alike and I think they do all use the stock codec. The only difference is window dressing. Stellio is different. I know that Stellio is not a well-known player, but in my opinion, it should be better known than it is.

But I'm still searching for the perfect player ...

Reactions: Gaia
Upvote 0
I have tried a bunch of players. Thus far, the best sounding (to my ears) is hands down Stellio Music Player. To me, it sounds even better than PowerAmp. It has a fullness to the sound that most players lack.

I would say that there isn't a hair of a difference among most of the various players I've tried. They all look and sound alike and I think they do all use the stock codec. The only difference is window dressing. Stellio is different. I know that Stellio is not a well-known player, but in my opinion, it should be better known than it is.

But I'm still searching for the perfect player ...
hi Stellio music player is not free ,isn't it?
on google player is market free , but there is an unlocker
thanks

Upvote 0
hi Stellio music player is not free ,isn't it?
on google player is market free , but there is an unlocker
thanks
You can use it for free but ad-supported, the unlocker removes the ads.

I've just given it a spin, it seems a nice little player. To my ears a little warmer and little less detailed than Neutron, but as @saltire says it depends on the source file, the equipment (phone, headphones), and also your preferences and your ears (the range of hearing and the ability to distinguish tones varies between people, so we don't all hear the same). So as he says, go with what you like best, because it's you who is listening to it. If I didn't already have 2 players I'd keep this one, and may try it on my tablet later (to see how it works with a different DAC).

Upvote 0
your preferences and your ears (the range of hearing and the ability to distinguish tones varies between people, so we don't all hear the same). .

You can say that part again:
I have had a 30 dB hearing loss for many moons now.
Yesterday, I went to the ENT doctor, and he found my ears totally filled with fluids.
The eustacion tubes are blocked.

He punched a hole in each ear drum, vacuumed out the fluids.
and Wallah! I can hear again....
In the holes, he inserted little tiny tubes with a 1.414 mm inner diameter.
This allows the ears to equalize to atmospheric pressure....

Works great! but, I have lost the "low end bass" response....
the trade off is I now have middle lows to a higher end response and women ( bless 'em ), are now understandable again.

I know, really off topic, but 'on topic' as we all have different hearing responses...
so, my opinion of a good sound music app won't meet with someone else's opinion.

Reactions: Hadron
Upvote 0
Yeah, its the parametric eq I could never get to grips with. I can remember spending hours tweaking it, and still wasn't that happy. Went back to PA, disabled direct control, installed V4A and a good IRS - job done.

Only now have found some updated V4A recovery flashable zips on xda, that include some Sony mods plus a V4A Atmos hybrid that I'm going to have to try now lol.

Reactions: Revenant Ghost
Upvote 0
You can use it for free but ad-supported, the unlocker removes the ads.

I've just given it a spin, it seems a nice little player. To my ears a little warmer and little less detailed than Neutron, but as @saltire says it depends on the source file, the equipment (phone, headphones), and also your preferences and your ears (the range of hearing and the ability to distinguish tones varies between people, so we don't all hear the same). So as he says, go with what you like best, because it's you who is listening to it. If I didn't already have 2 players I'd keep this one, and may try it on my tablet later (to see how it works with a different DAC).
hi
about poweramp is it free too ads?
because i tried to install on a phone ,but after few days ,it doesn't want to play any tracks
thanks

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones