• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Music Randomly Playing

So I just got woken up by my phone at 5 AM because it decided to randomly play music.

This past week, my phone has randomly started restarted playing podcasts. At least, I assumed it was random but maybe it was a weird press while it was in my pocket or I accidentally pressed it in my sleep because it was still in the notifications.

But, this morning, it started playing Dragula. Now, that's a fine song and all, but I literally don't have Dragula on this phone. There was nothing in the notifications / drop down menu that said anything was playing. My podcast wasn't playing, there wasn't Pandora (which I've never set a station that would get me to Dragula) or Spotify (Recently played doesn't show anything related to Dragula). When, in my sleep-dazed confusion I pushed play on my podcast (just in case it was that), it went right to just people talking, so it wasn't a musical break that they were playing the song with.

So I thought it was a virus, at least yesterday before I got up this morning. I had downloaded Kapersky antivirus but it didn't turn up anything (though I've uninstalled it before the Dragula incident because it advertised to me like 4 times in the one day I had it.).

Any thoughts on what the problem is? Or, what to do? (I guess factory reset)

Hmm, that's a good one.

Do you have Tasker, IFTTT, or any other automation apps installed?

Have you installed any new apps in the past week or so?

How did you get Dragula to cease? Any chance it could have been inadvertently set as a ringtone or notification sound?

On obvious test might be to use the phone in Safe Mode for a bit to see if the problem still occurs - though of course that would mean using your phone with limited functionality for an extended period of time. Depending on your needs, a Factory Reset may actually be a quicker way to test.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones