1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support Music Starts Playing At Random

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by bobakman, Nov 27, 2011.

1. bobakman

bobakman Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    I have had my Triumph unexpectedly while in my pocket or in one case in my car after turning off the engine (Ford Sync equipped) start playing music at full volume; most cases I have to remove the battery to stop it and in some cases I can pause the playing but the only way to get back to normal is to remove the battery. If I shut down the phone it gets stuck at the "Bye" screen and will eventually deplete the battery. Reading the forums I do see users with different model,MFG phones having similar issues I am asuming that this is an OS issue? Am I correct? Also my phone will randomly restart it's self while in my pocket I will hear the "Virgin Mobile" boot sound which makes all aware that it is happening.
    It's to the point that I can't keep music on the phone since It plays it randomly and I usually cant easily shut it off as described above.

FYI: This is my third Triumph First one did same thing, Second one had a bad camera module failed to focus only had it for a day.Purchased at Target thankfully great return /exchange policy.

Advertisement

2. agentc13

agentc13 Daleks Über Alles
    None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    Is it possible that the screen gets turned on in your pocket and you manage to "pocket dial" your music on? I know mine will get bumped or certain notifications turn the screen on, and I have done something similar before. Although I have never had an issue turning the music back off.

When it was in your car, were you playing music before in your car (over the Bluetooth)? Shutting off the vehicle would sever the Bluetooth connection and your phone would probably continue playing if the music was already on, but maybe not.

Phones will sometimes encounter a problem of some sort and force a reboot which is quite possibly what is happening when you hear the "virgin mobile".

I haven't heard of this sort of issue with the Triumph before, but if other phones have the issue I am sure it is possible.

3. bobakman

bobakman Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    I thought about the accidental screen thing but I keep it in a Saddleback leather pouch which makes it virtually impossible, and after the car incident the phone was just sitting in the cup holder and was not streaming music but it is possible the the severed Ford Sync connection could have caused some sort of issue it may have tried accessing the phone and attempted to and succeeded at streaming music without my knowing.

Thanks, Bob

4. agentc13

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    I have not heard of this before, but I am sure it is possible that something other than what I said above is causing the issues you are having.

If it is in a leather pouch I would also doubt you are accidentally hitting the screen. You could try hitting the sleep/wake button while it is in the case and see if you can press on the outside of the case and make something happen. If you can't, I would definitely say your issue is something else. If you can then I would guess that is probably the issue. I know I get garbled texts from my wife all the time from her pocket, lol, and have had random screens added on my launcher by accident as well. So playing music would be possible.

Can you turn the volume down with the side buttons when this happens? Or is the only way to get it to be quiet a battery pull?

5. ziggy46

ziggy46 Android Expert
    None

Aug 14, 2011
    Being a pain in the a$$! LOL
    Chambersburg, Pa
    do you use a music downloader app? sometimes they play music at random

6. bobakman

bobakman Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    I squeezed the pouch pretty hard more than the kind of random pocket movement and I could not actuate the power button. I was able to pause the music this time but one past episode the volume button had no effect at all, phone was totally locked up and this happened while shopping at a CVS for no apparent reason while the phone was in my pocket.

7. agentc13

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    I am guessing it isn't getting touched in your pocket then. Check what Ziggy posted above, I don't really have much else to help you with off the top of my head.

8. bobakman

bobakman Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    No I do not have a music down loader installed. Is there any way to copy music to my SD card and not have the phone know that it is available to play? At least this way I could have my music on the phone to play only when I want to play it.

Bob

9. agentc13

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    Your phone is all stock? or are you using a different ROM? I am guessing that since you get the VM shutdown sound it is stock. You can always try to factory reset it and see if that works.

10. bobakman

bobakman Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    You are correct it is "stock"

Bob

11. agentc13

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    You can always try a factory reset then, and see if it keeps happening. (If you have not already done this!)

12. bobakman

bobakman Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Yes I have already went that route with no change. Since my first phone did the same thing it's got to be either an Android or Motorola Issue I would think. Trouble is trying to figure out which.

Bob

13. agentc13

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    Yeah, kinda figured you had, but doesn't hurt to make sure!

The funny thing is I don't remember seeing any reports from others about this phone doing that. Which makes me think it is something specific to you (I could be way off there, it's just a guess). I guess keep searching, and let us know if you find anything!

bobakman likes this.
  14. smackguy1950

smackguy1950 Newbie
    None

Mar 26, 2011
    My friend's Lg Optimus V does/did the same thing. One time we were discussing the issue, and his phone was sitting right there on the table, just sitting there, screen off not doing anything, and all of a sudden, it started the music player and was playing music. We were 5 feet away from it and looking right at it when it did it. I suspect Gremlins. :)

15. agentc13

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro
    At first I read gremlins as Germans.... Oops!

Yeah, I am sure there are devices that have a hardware/software bug that you can't do anything to fix, but it's good practice to troubleshoot first to just make sure before jumping to that conclusion.

16. magohn

magohn Android Enthusiast
    None

Dec 15, 2010
    Mine would do this using the "Player Pro" app. I would hit a bump in the road and the last played MP3 would fire up. I think it had something to do with PP being still in memory and PPs ability to "shake to shuffle" or whatever its called.
    HTH.

17. agentc13

None

Aug 31, 2011
    Skaro

It's definitely a good idea to check if it would be an app issue/interaction.
    I think you can put your music in a .nomedia folder to keep your phone from recognizing them. I will try to find a tutorial or something on that for you when I get the time.

18. scooter94

scooter94 Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    Hello... just thought I would share on this matter. I too have the same problem! The only difference is that I can shut my phone down and it is all good until I decide to play some music... and then it Randomly starts playing on its on, WITHOUT any assistance from me in any way. When I am finished with listening to the music, I hit the stop button and go one with my life. Suddenly I will hear music playing, pick up my phone and find it decided to initiate on its own. This happens whether it is in my pocket, in the cup holder in my car or just sitting by itself on my desk or kitchen table. As an experiment, I restarted the phone, opened the music app.. but chose no songs and never hit the play button. I set the phone down on my desk and much to my surprise, 2 hours later I started hearing music. This is NOT something that I am causing and I have no other apps other then the stock apps that came with the phone. It DOES happen and I would find it hard to believe that I am the only person that has experienced this event. :~)

19. scooter94

scooter94 Lurker
    None

Dec 2, 2011
    agentc13, like the profile pic!

20. bobakman

bobakman Member
    None

Sep 6, 2011
    Thanks. I would appreciate that.

Bob

21. agnathan

agnathan Lurker
    None

Jan 1, 2012
    I have the same problem with Google Music starting randomly, even when I'm not touching the phone. I have a stock Motorola Droid 2 / Android 2.3. It happened on 2.2 also. I just did a factory reset and I've installed a couple of apps. The problem usually happens while I'm listening to audio from another application usually Amazon MP3 or Audible. Very annoying.

22. marx2k

marx2k Member
    None

Jul 27, 2011
    This happened to me today. I m running MIUI, installed Skype today. In the middle of my first call with Skype, my SubSonic app kicked in and begins playing music at full blast in the middle of my call. Had to hang up the call, hold down the home button, see Subsonic in my recent apps, go into the app and manually exit the app. Today is Sunday. The last time I touched Subsonic was Friday morning.

23. rothe

rothe Well-Known Member
    None

The only time I had anything like this happen with my Triumph was a few months ago when I was using a Radio Shack Gigaware headset adapter (Gigaware

24. TheBritton

TheBritton Resident Galaxy Cat
    None

Oct 9, 2011
    Male
    Radio DJ & Production Director, NWS Certified Skyw
    Amarillo, TX
    This issue happened to me once.

It happened when I had headphones plugged in and streaming iheartradio. I took out the headset to move my phone and plugged the headset back in and music started playing from the phone's stock Music app.

Seems the music was triggered by the headset being removed and plugged back in, but I couldn't replicate it again. In fact, I can't get it to happen again at all LOL!

Maybe I'm just missing something ;)

25. bandibandi

bandibandi Lurker
    None

Jun 27, 2012
    Hi got Motorla Atrix and the same thing happened to me tonight, about 3 am, stated playing music, and it was just on my desk, and after that it did again 6 am, quiet annoying. I thought it could be a virus, I downloaded only 1 app that day, and nothing else in the last 30 day, it was the myfintesspal, that was the only change in my phone, I don't think it was the myfitnesspal, but you never know.
    Anyone installed myfintesspal before it happened?