1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Music tracks in alpha order on Droid 2 when ripping LPs via Audacity

Discussion in 'Music & Media' started by billrosenblatt, Feb 20, 2011.

1. billrosenblatt

Hi,

I have a Droid 2 Global Edition. I have been using a USB turntable to digitize LPs into MP4 files, then transferring the files to my Droid. I am doing the transfers simply by dragging the folder for the album over to the Droid (top level directory) using Windows Explorer. The problem is that they appear on the Droid in alphabetical order, not album order, DESPITE:
    1) the ID3 track numbers are correct
    2) When exporting the tracks to MP4 from Audacity, I check the option for putting track numbers before track names in the filenames. Thus the tracks appear on my PC as 01-First Track Name, 02-Second Track Name, etc. These track numbers are stripped (do not appear) in the Droid's music player.

This is driving me bonkers, especially because it takes a lot of time and hassle to digitize vinyl. Any suggestions on how to fix it? Should I be transferring the files in a different way than just Windows Explorer drag & drop? Using a different music player than the default music player on the Droid?

Thanks very much!

Advertisement

2. fratermus

fratermus Well-Known Member

The Music app is probably sorting by id3 tag rather than filename. Try populating the track number field and see what happens.

[edit: also check out Audacity's metadata editor to see if it can do it automagically]

3. billrosenblatt

As I said, the ID3 track number tags are correct.

Anyway, I figured it out. It's a bug in the Android music player when dealing with AAC files. The numerical filename prefixes and the ID3 tags both survive the transfer to the Droid.

If you use another music player (e.g. PowerAmp), it works fine.

- bill.