• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must-Have apps for the EVO 3D

D

Deleted User

I posted this in the Introduction forum and was suggested to create a thread in this forum because there wasn't one. so here goes.

Can one of you guys direct me to a place where i can find a list of 'must have' apps?

I have already began to peruse the android market website and have decided that i will undoubtedly be getting the following:

Google Maps
Facebook
Youtube
Pandora
Angry Birds
Task Killer
Flash Player
Tiny Flashlight (hopefully i can decide upon if i want to use both LED's on the EVO 3D)
Movies (Flixster)
GasBuddy
Paper Toss

i would love a recommendation on a good app that can track my phone if it is lost, hopefully flashed to the system so a thief can't turn it off.

I hope to also root my phone so i can remove bloatware, and get free tethering.
other apps i hope to add:

a keyboard of some sort (Swype, T9, ect. ect.)
music player (iSync, Google Music Beta, PowerAMP, Audio Galaxy)

any suggestions; Games, System Apps, Widget Apps, ect. ect.

PewPew2
RoboDefence
iSyncer
PowerAmp
DishNetwork (so I can watch all my dish programming and recorded dvr stuff on my phone! It Rocks! If you have Dish and a 722 or 922 DVR, this is all free after you buy the 99dollar Sling Adapter.)
HBOGo
Where
Groupon
Pandora, Google music, Sprint music, tune in radio
MyTracks
Android System Info
Last but not least.. Phandroid!

Upvote 0
Lookout has been a nice app. It gives you a number of different options if you lose your phone including location or wiping.

Swype is a great keyboard. Hands down.

Tweetdeck if you do anything with twitter and facebook

Amazon appstore you will have to download and install through your SD card because it can't be found in the market but Amazon gives a free paid app every day. Have gotten some decent apps through that.

Beyondpod for anything with podcast or blogs

Pulse has a good setup for multiple news sources in one place

Movies for just that

Docs if you do anything with google documents

Dropbox is a very easy to use cloud manager

TuneIn gives you lots of radio channels including local

Pandora is well liked by people

Upvote 0
the other thing, i heard was great was TapaTalk especially if you surf fourms a lot.

We have an app just for our forums - please check it out -

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.blau.android.phandroidnews

Tapatalk is great - don't get me wrong - but we wanted an app based on user input for just our site.

On the idea of locking out your phone from the bad guys if lost/stolen -

Lookout is great, I personally use EStrongs Security Manager -

https://market.android.com/details?id=com.estrongs.android.safer

Please check out both, choose what's right for you.

~~~~~~~

Finally - and I can't stress this enough for people with many or complex contacts -

Google Gesture Search

No way I'll ever own another Android phone without it! :)

Upvote 0
If you like music yes. I think it's must have on any android phone.

Just check their fb page. People love this app.

https://www.facebook.com/audiogalaxy

I'd be interested in this app if I didn't keep my machine off at home to conserve power. So Google Music it is. Such a shame, because the GMusic player is horrifically bare-boned.

Upvote 0
Oh another thing every Android user should have:

Google Authenticator

Considering that your Google account is everything to your phone (contacts, calendar, personal info), it really makes sense to activate the 2-click verification. It's really easy to set up. It takes 5-10 mins. Just log into your Gmail, go to Account Settings and it's right there in the security options.

Reactions: momoceio
Upvote 0
I'd be interested in this app if I didn't keep my machine off at home to conserve power. So Google Music it is. Such a shame, because the GMusic player is horrifically bare-boned.
You should look into subsonic. Requires $10 'donation' after 30 days though. This app allows you to queue songs up that are d/led to your sd card. Or you could leave the laptop on at times for streaming.

Audiogalaxy also allows you to stream from other ppls' servers if they make their server public.

Reactions: jerofld
Upvote 0
You should look into subsonic. Requires $10 'donation' after 30 days though. This app allows you to queue songs up that are d/led to your sd card. Or you could leave the laptop on at times for streaming.

Audiogalaxy also allows you to stream from other ppls' servers if they make their server public.

Hmm...AudioGalaxy lets you stream from other's public servers? That right there is enough reason for me to give it a shot, just to try to find some new artists/albums I may like. Although, I question if that's legal to do. It seems like it would fall under a broadcasting law and have a license requirement/loyalty payment.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones