• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must-Have apps for the EVO 3D

Personally I'm a fan of Navigation. I find that it's accuracy is a lot better than the TeleNav GPS Naviagator (Sprint's navigation system). I only had the TeleNav on my old Blackberry and was led astray so many times it wasn't funny. I've found that whenever I've used Navigation that it's accruatly told me where to go within 50 meters.

Navagation and maps is what I use in my truck and works great,dont trust sprints,not that it isn't good but to launch took to long. Until something else comes along, navagation for me

Upvote 0
My friend got Boat Browser to try. But what about X Scope it was free today on Amazon? I got it and liked the back forward arrow buttons at the bottom but didn't really mess with it much. I have Dolphin and Miren also. And on Miren when I am signing up for a contest I jusy hit my back button on the phone and then my email address stays in the little window and all I have to do is hit enter and I like that. Today a radio station opened there box office and you could sign up for concert tickets for one whole hour and I used Miren for that purpose. LOL! But X Scope seems like a decent browser too. Is there a way to export bookmarks from one browser to another? Cause I made all my main bookmarks on Dolphin cause of the Bookmarks to SD app.

Sorry, but Boat Browser has nothing on Dolphin Browser.

Custom gesture support. Need I say more?

Upvote 0
I had Hey Tell on my 4G. But I also use Tikl but I think Hey Tell was different it actually left the person a recorded message of what you spoke right? Tikl is walkie talkie Hey Tell isn't is that right?

Those of you that like to text, should not when your driving, try out Hey Tell, it is a great push to talk and works really great.

http://heytell.com/

Upvote 0
Yes it leaves a recorded message,but it is pretty fast and works great IMO, I tried a few Walkie talkies and did like them.

I had Hey Tell on my 4G. But I also use Tikl but I think Hey Tell was different it actually left the person a recorded message of what you spoke right? Tikl is walkie talkie Hey Tell isn't is that right?

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
I'm gonna get it back. I have a coworker that has no texting on his plan and we usually have to chat through scrabble game or Tikl has a chat option also but this would be cool for us to leave quick messages for each other when we need to instead of typing. I'm getting it back now.

Yes it leaves a recorded message,but it is pretty fast and works great IMO, I tried a few Walkie talkies and did like them.

Reactions: DonB
Upvote 0
I have both now also TIKL, where the Hey Tell comes in handy is if you try to reach someone on TIKL and they are not around, then you can also use Hey Tell and leave them a message, works great, and TIKL has really come a long way since I tried it last, thanks

I'm gonna get it back. I have a coworker that has no texting on his plan and we usually have to chat through scrabble game or Tikl has a chat option also but this would be cool for us to leave quick messages for each other when we need to instead of typing. I'm getting it back now.

Upvote 0
I just love my phone and all the cool apps we have. My favorite thing is when I need a phone number and just say dial Target or Dial Starbucks. I used to keep a small phonebook under my seat. And how we can say text to or email to subject then message or navigate too. The EVO 3D rocks even if you have to swap out batteries and dies quick. Did anyone get the X Scope browser free app today?

I have both now also TIKL, where the Hey Tell comes in handy is if you try to reach someone on TIKL and they are not around, then you can also use Hey Tell and leave them a message, works great, and TIKL has really come a long way since I tried it last, thanks

Upvote 0
Anyone recommend any MUST-HAVE live wallpapers that the market doesn't carry?

...I'm getting close to being burned out switching up my outerspace themed live wallpapers.

I usually rock "Fireflies" and turn everything off except the pulsating flies. Dim the background to 0% or I rock Seeds of Life. Either are easy on the battery.

As far as apps:

Music Mod (By far the best music player out there IMO)

Slide-IT Keyboard (Much preferred over swipe, detects better and has a better looking keyboard with recent skin change support)

Ebuddy for all my messaging uses.

Zedge for ringtones/wallpapers

Ringdroid for ring tones

Music Junk so I can download any song at any time for free.

N64oid, Gensoid, SNESoid, and GBCoid for most of my gaming demands.

Juice defender ultimate to control my radios while in low signal areas.

Roam control for when I need to make a call and I'm in a low sprint coverage area.

Upvote 0
!!!!!!!!

Radar Now has an update to 3.0, which finally enables full screen on my Evo3D. Woooot.

The new update is awesome! I took this screen shot of the hurricane a few minutes ago:

2011-08-27_13-53-26.jpg

Needless to say, the screen usually won't be this busy! You have to subscribe for $2.99/year to be able to scroll around the country to distant radar stations--I thought it was worth it to support the developer.

Upvote 0
http://androidforums.com/htc-evo-3d/350861-must-have-apps-evo-3d-3vo-2.html#post2865303

Soon after the EVO 3D was released, I wrote the above post with some of my recommended apps. I still stand by it, though I've stopped using the widget from Foxyring I mentioned, and am now using the "timed silence" widget from Beautiful Widgets instead.

Here are a few other apps I've "discovered" since then, but am enjoying:

If you like architecture or just find unusual buildings interesting, "Buildings" by OpenBuildings, Inc. will interest you. if you like buildings and are a history buff, you will especially love HistoryPin, which links to old photos of buildings in your area (or in another area you designate), gives you GPS directions to the photo site, and encourages you to take a current day photo through a unique camera viewfinder that lets you overlay a "ghost" image of the old photo over your viewfinder.

I got the app "Business Calendar" by Appgenix when it was app of the day in the Amazon appstore, and I find I prefer it to the stock Android Calendar app, and the other calendars I've tried. It's available in the regular Android Market if you don't want to mess with Amazon.

For people who clog up their smartphone with to do items, appointments, and missed phone calls or texts (I'm one of those people), I find the "Executive Assistant" widget by Appventive to be really helpful. Highly customizable, it puts a lot of info about alerts, tasks, etc. in a compact and readable widget.

I find CamScanner to be much superior to the camera app as a way to record documents (including to export them to Evernote if necessary).

I bought Copilot Live Premium USA (a navigation program that installs the maps on your SD card so you don't need a 3G connection) to be very useful the one or two times I've actually needed it. If you never drive out in the country, you may not care about this. But I like having it as insurance. It works well, and the maps are very good (not perfect). I bought it for ten bucks during an introductory promotion, I understand it is more expensive now, they claimed the regular price would be thirty dollars. The older version of what appears to be the same software (without some interface improvements and other upgrades) still looks to be available in the market for ten dollars, and may be a better buy.

During a Federal Emergency Management Agency press conference on the storm, I saw mention of a FEMA app for Android and iPhone. I've downloaded it, but haven't used it yet. It apparently has good information on initial response to emergencies available so it will be on your phone even if the network or power has gone out. It's free, so you may want to get it. Be sure to get the Android market app from FEMA, I know nothing of a similarly named app in the Market by some other organization.

I just finished my first trip (to Virginia, where I was there for the earthquake, and flew out early to get away from the hurricane!) using the Tripit app to keep track of all my reservations, and it works well. It is very convenient that it strips reservation information out of your confirmation emails without your intervention, and puts it all in a sequential list, including things like checking out of hotels and returning rental cars by the designated time. A nice widget displays the next reservation. When I changed my plane flight to come home from Virginia early, it was very convenient to have in one listing all my reservations, their associated ID numbers, and the phone numbers of the provider so I didn't have to go digging through email or notes to know who to call and what reservation I had to cancel.

If you are a nostalgia buff, or just a big fan of an actor from the thirties or forties (Lucille Ball for me!), you may enjoy Old Time Radio. Lets you listen to entire episodes of old shows, and download them as MP3s for offline listening on airplanes and such.

For web browsing over Sprint's crummy 3G network, I find Opera Mini to be noticeably faster. It compresses the website you want to view before sending it to your phone, and seems to speed things up.

Upvote 0
Just discovered a stereoscopic 3D picture server called PHEREO. Lots of cool amateur images (SFW or NSFW if you have some to upload), plus you can upload your own within a matter of seconds after creating a user name and password. And best of all, it's ABSOLUTELY FREE!!!

This is exactly the kind of app we've all been waiting for, for those that like to share your 3D images with others.

If someone else has already mentioned this app, then I also share their enthusiasm for it.

EDIT - 10/24/2011: Having had a couple of days to immerse myself into this app, it's very addictive and refreshing to see other people's artistic skills in 3D photography, other than the images I've already taken on my own 3DVO. Some of them are breathtaking, while others are more candid shots. I've posted my contributions, and they seem to be received quite well. It also appears that this app is NOT EVO 3D EXCLUSIVE, as I've seen others take pictures with other 3D smartphone devices. Not that it makes a big difference, but it's something that I noticed in going through some of the pictures. I highly encourage you all to check it out and post your stereoscopic contributions...

Upvote 0
I tried phero but can't get the pictures to work right. Am I missing something?

Upon viewing any of the images on PHEREO (I usually go straight to "recent""), all of the images are in 2D mode. And it usually takes anywhere from a few seconds to a minute or more for all of the 2D thumbnail images to load on their side scrolling page. But once you've selected a specific image to view in 3D stereoscopic mode, it's a shorter amount of time. It all depends on how good your 3G connectivity is. I get horrible reception at work, so it usually takes a while for any of it to load, or sometimes there's no connection at all. So, I end up closing the app until later.

There's generally over two or three dozen new stereoscopic images to view on PHEREO every couple of hours, every day, so it's well worth the hassle of waiting for good reception.

I hope that helps.

Reactions: SuperC142
Upvote 0
Thanks ProfeZZor X- that's a great find! I love all of the variety and the creative photos; seems like a great service.

I don't recall how I found that app, but I pretty much view it every day now, just to see all the creative 3D photography out there. Some of them are mostly candid shots of people in their everyday lives, but there are some real gems that are truly captivating to see in 3D. Those usually get my vote.

Reactions: marctronixx
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones