• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must-Have apps for the EVO 3D

I usually take a pen and write it on my hand or text it to myself. I just thought it was weird how one day the Find my Car Lite app showed me the floor from what I saw and then I never could get back to that same screen. It always showed me the map after that. But I saw a white checkered screen with an arrow on the 5th line. But I'm gonna try it again I just didn't know if there was a better app or not.

I thought most, if not all, of these apps ran off of marking a GPS location? My solution, although not as eloquent as an app, would be to suggest this: Take a picture of the markings on the support pillars where you park. Most of the time, they mention which floor. If they don't, take a picture of the floor before you get in the elevator/stairs.

Upvote 0
If you're into outer space, and all things pertaining to the known universe, I HIGHLY recommend the live wallpapers: Inferno Galaxy, Shadow Galaxy, Ice Galaxy, Vortex Galaxy (Incredible Coloring), and Celestial Bodies (My Favorite). The 3D is amazing for all of them, and best of all most of them are FREE. And if they're not free, they're well worth the purchase price.

Upvote 0
d - I've moved from swiping to SwiftKey and find that because of its next word prediction, it's faster for me. I can bang out sentences and not type much.

I agree. Swype is fast and fabulous when it works, but it can get barking up the wrong tree on a word, and I end up wasting time and gritting my teeth fighting it. Also, if it gets a word wrong and you don't notice, you can end up emailing or posting something obnoxious or embarrassing.

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
I apologize in advance for how long this list is going to be, but here's my $0.02 (in no particular order)…

Amazon App Store for Android (free)
This is absolutely a must-have in my opinion for two major reasons. 1) You can link multiple phones so, when I buy an app, my wife gets it too. 2) The free app of the day. A lot of time it's crap, but some of the time it's very cool. That's how I got swiftkey (free) and then flext9 (also free), which I like even better (I ultimately uninstalled swiftkey and just sticking with flext9). Part of my morning routine is to see what the free app is. Even if I don't want to install it right away, I "buy" it anyway so that it will always be an option, forever.

RPN Calculator (free)
If you like reverse-polish notation, this is the app to get. It's like you're using an HP 11c with an infinite stack. Highly recommended.

Gentle Alarm ($2.80, but was free in the Amazon App Store)
The best bedside alarm clock (IMO). Goes very dim and has fantastic options for gradually waking you up. Also, it turns off the bottom four button lights, which not all of them do.

Stock Alert [Pro] ($1.00?, free version gives delayed quotes)
I love that it gives me real time quotes, it's easy to set up price-based alerts, and doesn't seem to consume much extra battery when alerts are running.

Quick Battery (free)
Simple, lean, 1x1 widget for giving you your current battery percentage.

TivoRemote ($0.99)
Pretty handy soft remote control for TiVo Series 3/HD.

Parcels (free)
Great app for tracking packages from UPS, FedEx, USPS, and more (huge list of supported carriers). It has alerts too for status changes, but I don't use them.

Twisty (free)
Z-Machine emulator for old-school geeks (think Zork, etc.)

Movies (free)
Good movie info by Flixter and is also the official app of rottentomatoes.com

Nook (free)
A must if you're a Barnes and Noble nook owner.

Shazam Encore ($4.99, free version has limited scans, Encore/Pro version was free in the Amazon App Store)
Want to know what that song is you're hearing in a department store? Shazam will scan it and tell you.

Google Sky Map (free)
Awesome, augmented reality view of the night sky.

Evernote (free)
Very fancy, full-featured, cloud-based note storage. FYI: for a quick, local-only notepad, I use OI Notepad (free).

ShopSavvy (free)
When you see something you want while shopping, scan the barcode and see how much it costs at other stores (online and brick-and-mortar).

Pocket Auctions (free)
Without question, the best eBay client. Really fast, polished, and nice. Highly recommended for eBay users.

ES File Explorer (free)
App for managing your file system. Also can connect to servers via FTP and browse your network shares. It's super-handy for transferring files from your PC to your phone (and vice-versa). No need to pull the SD cord or even plug in the USB cable.

FlexT9 Keyboard ($4.99, was free in the Amazon App Store)
Seriously. I love this keyboard.

Lookout (free version, paid subscription option at $5/month or $50/year)
It's a virus scanner and a safe browsing tool (I don't care much about that), but the remote locate feature is very nice and polished. On the Evo 3d, I've confirmed it will even start the GPS automatically and turn it back off again when it's done. It will also backup your call history and your contacts (useful if you use phone storage, not useful if you use google contacts, which does this automatically). The paid version also allows you to remote wipe your phone and schedule backups of your photos. Also, you can link up to two phones to the same account so my wife and I are both using the premium version for $25/year each.

------------------

I know the list was long, but I'm proud of myself for showing considerable restraint in not listing all 100 or so of my apps, haha.

[Edit]
K-9 Mail (free)
duh! How could I forget my favorite app!? This is my favorite email client, by far. Supports POP and IMAP (and I think Exchange, but I haven't used this). Allows multiple accounts, color coded accounts, integrated inbox, and much more. There are a TON of settings, not all of which are in obvious places (Global, Account, and Folder) so be prepared to spend a long time exploring to get the most of it.
[/Edit]

Reactions: EarlyMon
Upvote 0
You sound like me i have a ton of apps and I thought I listed too many. But Flex T9 is awesome and I love Amazon app store too. If I think it's something I might like I download it but I don't install everything unless I'm sure I'm gonna use it. I have a Tivo HD and have seen where your phone can be your remote is it cool to have? I mean I have my remote here with me but that looks cool. I need another find my car app and am looking to see which one I think people like the best. I had Find My Car Lite on my EVO so I kind if want to try something else.

Upvote 0
Not sure I do have talking caller ID and it speaks incoming call from but it was messing me up with the advertisements when I kept trying to redial and win a radio station contest so I bought it awhile back. But I don't think it speaks it in your BT. Now my Blue Ant Q2 says the number I believe not the name in my ear I'll have to test it later. I don't even know if when I have a certain ringer set up for someone and my BT is in does the phone play the ringer in your ear or does it not play it at all or does it play through the phone. I haven't had that many calls on my phone since I've had it.

Wonder if anyone knows of a good app that says the callers name on incoming calls on your Bluetooth, or if such an app exist, I know they have speaking caller ID, but I simply want one for BT

Upvote 0
Give us your phone and we will call you if no one will, LOL

There are a few apps but before I buy them I wanted to see if there was any options or feedback, I will keep looking around in the meantime, I know that Enhanced SMS & Caller ID is suppose to do this, but I wanted to see if anyone had experience with it.

Not sure I do have talking caller ID and it speaks incoming call from but it was messing me up with the advertisements when I kept trying to redial and win a radio station contest so I bought it awhile back. But I don't think it speaks it in your BT. Now my Blue Ant Q2 says the number I believe not the name in my ear I'll have to test it later. I don't even know if when I have a certain ringer set up for someone and my BT is in does the phone play the ringer in your ear or does it not play it at all or does it play through the phone. I haven't had that many calls on my phone since I've had it.

Upvote 0
You sound like me i have a ton of apps and I thought I listed too many. But Flex T9 is awesome and I love Amazon app store too. If I think it's something I might like I download it but I don't install everything unless I'm sure I'm gonna use it. I have a Tivo HD and have seen where your phone can be your remote is it cool to have? I mean I have my remote here with me but that looks cool. I need another find my car app and am looking to see which one I think people like the best. I had Find My Car Lite on my EVO so I kind if want to try something else.

I do like the TiVo app. Honestly, in practice, is more of a novelty because my remote is usually next to me when I'm in front of the TV anyway. But, if my wife has the remote, or I'm reclined and not by the remote, it's handy to have. It doesn't respect the new, higher resolution of the Evo 3D though, but that's no big deal, it just doesn't fill the whole screen.

One quirk with the app is it doesn't usually succeed in "finding" my TiVo when scanning (sometimes it does, but not always). I just popped the IP address in there though and, after having done so, I don't need to mess with it anymore (I've reserved a specific address for my TiVo's MAC address in my DHCP server, so it'll never change).

At any rate, I think it's definitely worth $0.99. :)

Reactions: Rose4uKy
Upvote 0
Hello Forums! Brand new Android platform user here and really enjoying the EVO 3D. The world of apps is a little overwhelming so I appreciate all who are taking the time to post and explain their favorites and most useful.

Has anyone been able to get Alchemy to work on the EVO3D? I downloaded it but it crashes after a few seconds of being open. Looks like such a fun game...is it just not able to work on this device or am I missing a step that prevents it from working maybe?

Thanks in advance for your reply.

ETA: Looks like it's not just Alchemy; every app that I've installed is crashing. I installed an update earlier and since then the device has been really wonky. Disregard the question above, but the first paragraph is still valid!

Upvote 0
Ok so after a week with the Phone here are the Applications I've kept:

1. Angry Birds
  2. Automateit
  3. Barcode Scanner
  4. Beautiful Widgets
  5. Bible
  6. Chrome to Phone
  7. ColorNote
  8. Compass
  9. Dumbometer
  10. Facebook
  11. Fancy Widgets
  12. Flixster
  13. GPS Status
  14. GasBuddy
  15. Google+
  16. Google Earth
  17. Google Goggles
  18. Google Maps
  19. Lookout Security
  20. MapQuest
  21. Med Minder
  22. MoBill Reminder
  23. MyFitnessPal
  24. Norton Utilities
  25. Pandora
  26. Phandroid
  27. Redbox
  28. Slice It!
  29. SmsAwake
  30. Speed Test
  31. Twitter
  32. Ultra Voice Changer
  33. Ventriloid
  34. Words with Friends

Upvote 0
It's not better than any other music player unless you are signed up for the google music beta. With the beta you upload your music to a cloud and the you can access the music over the internet or through the google music app.

yeah I looked more into it, it's a cool concept.. just signed up, waiting for an invitation...

Upvote 0
I'd post a link if I could get a clean one. :(

Ok, so goto amazon.com and use their search for Apps for Android.

You'll want to already have an Amazon account to proceed. On that page to the right is a tool: Download the Amazon Appstore - enter your phone number or email there. You'll get a pop-up with step-by-step instructions and little video on how to proceed to download their appstore app.

Each day, they give away a paid app for free. You can get an app, try it, uninstall it if you don't like it or aren't sure yet. After that, it shows in your bullpen so you can re-download as often as you need - works thru resetting or losing apps, no problem.

No telling if the feebie is going to be a moose or a dog so you have to check every day and see what's available that day. Once you've missed a chance for a paid app for free, no do-overs, you've missed it.

Hope this helps!

BTW and FWIW - I've moved from swiping to SwiftKey and find that because of its next word prediction, it's faster for me. I can bang out sentences and not type much.

Thanks. I put my number in then got the popup for step by step instructions but its been over an hour and still no text from amazon to my phone. Does it take a few hours for amazon to send you the text?

Update: nevermind I included dashes in my phone number and now it works

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones