• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Must have apps for your tab

freefall

May 31, 2010
hi,

I'm a new tab owner and this is also my first tablet. Can you recommend your must have apps for your tab?

I'm keen to find great organisational apps for email, documents and organising my life. Plus ways to display my photographs.

Thanks

i just use the standard email app for email and gmail for my email. i think they are already well laid out and work great.

For documents I use Thinkfree for Tablets and Google documents. i really like the think free, the gdocs is really just used for uploading.

For photos I just use the built in gallery. i dont see any need for anything else, but i also look at my pics often or care enough to look for a program to improve what i think is fine already.

Upvote 0
I like HD file explorer better
for keyboards SlideIT. the new swiftkey looks really good to.
I use two browsers, the stock and dolphin for tabs. Never heard if flash video browser.
It's made particularly for playing Hulu, college humor, or whatever other flash-based video stream you want to view (since the Tab never had a Hulu app and was never originally able to view Hulu natively via the browser... I'm honestly not sure if that has changed?).

Upvote 0
Ah, I do have hulu and its about that I haven't used yet.

Hulu is starting to make the app for android now. Hopefully soon.
It's for anything that's really flash intensive.

Yeah, the Hulu+ app has been available for the Evo4G for, well, at least 5 or 6 months as far as I know. There was also a basic Hulu app that has been out for much much longer, but it never worked with the Tab.

And now that I'm checking it again... apparently Hulu has discontinued support for that original app...

Upvote 0
Hi, I found the following applications essential.
I am not the kind of person who goes app crazy.

Hackers Keyboard - Essential because the standard keyboard has serious usability issues.
K9 Mail - Essential if you use more than one e-mail account. I find it a better e-mail client in general.

Opera Mobile - The default browser does not handle SVG (though it seems to in Android 4) for some stupid reason. And Opera Mobile seems to me to just be a better browser in general.

Live365 - Internet radio client. Works very well.

AndroZip - needed to unpack zip archives.

Google Earth - works surprisingly well on the tablet, if you are into that sort of thing.

-=-
That's my short list. I'm still looking for a decent solitare game, I'd pay for one that doesn't have adverts and has decent usability, so far I've not found one I like.

Upvote 0
I made a mistake on the name of the Solitaire app that I like. The name is just plain "Solitaire." (Star Solitaire is the one I use on my phone.)

I also discovered a great app last night. It's Grove IP. You can use it along with a Google talk account and the free Google phone number to send and receive voip calls. Works fine on my tablet, so far. You just need a data connection, wifi or cellular. They did say that some networks did not allow voip calls, but I have no idea how common tnat would be.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones