• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.
May I recommend some Patron throat syrup....
Fix you right up ;)

looks good lol

haha. i actually have pharyngitis. its an infection of the throat and hurts like a bitch. luckily im a card carrying 215 patient....which to those of you who dont know, means i get medical marijuana.

it obviously helps :D

because of that though ill be home all day smoking and messing around on my computer. ill be able to update this thread with new apps, and im still taking requests for custom icons/skinning on apps, but thats on my other thread.

so give me some work to do people :)
otherwise i might actually do something productive :eek:

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what you mean about "power management". That isn't what I got it for. I use it simply to keep the screen on while I am using it by sensing movement so I don't have to keep touching the screen to keep it from turning off.

To be fair, I too made the mistake of purchasing Screebl. I thought it would save me battery and keep the screen on, but it was reporting back as using way more battery than it was saving. Instead I set the screen timeout to 10 minutes and I just hit the end button whenever I'm done with a task.

Upvote 0
To be fair, I too made the mistake of purchasing Screebl. I thought it would save me battery and keep the screen on, but it was reporting back as using way more battery than it was saving. Instead I set the screen timeout to 10 minutes and I just hit the end button whenever I'm done with a task.

Downloaded Screebl, but i havent had a chance to play with it yet.

However, i have to agree with 5thAgent.. that's exactly what I do. Always hit end before putting my phone down.

So Screebl will have to be pretty darn impressive for me to keep it.

Upvote 0
Downloaded Screebl, but i havent had a chance to play with it yet.

However, i have to agree with 5thAgent.. that's exactly what I do. Always hit end before putting my phone down.

So Screebl will have to be pretty darn impressive for me to keep it.

i havent installed it yet. i also hit the end button when putting it down. its just a reflex. but i do think it would be cool to have the screen turn on when you lift it up. **not sure that the app actually does that, but i havent tried yet haha

Upvote 0
Waze is cool, but for my money, no app beats the stock Navigation app that comes with 2.1. I actual prefer it over my Garmin, which I'm not selling on eBay, since I shan't be needing it anymore.

Here are some cool apps I couldn't live without:

Advanced & Automatic Task Killer (FREE) - For automatically and/or manually killing apps running in the background (as if you didn't know that already)

AntiVirus (FREE) - Because who wants viruses or malware? Really.

Google Goggles (FREE) - Amazing app! You take a picture of any object, the app scans the picture, then searches and displays Google results for the image. Works 80% of the time. Has yet to prove it's self useful, but impressive all the same.

Metal Detector (FREE) - Another app that hasn't been of any real use to me, but it absolutely amazing that the phone actually can, and DOES, detect metal!

MyBackup ($4.99) - Has saved my ass at least twice so far. Backup contacts, applications, call log, bookmarks, SMS, MMS, System settings, Android Home, Alarms, Dictionary, Calender and your music playlist.

PdaNet (FREE) - Works flawlessly for tethering your Droid. There's a bunch of these programs out there, I know, but this one is simple and effective.

Scanner Radio (FREE) - Awesome app for listening to local police and fire frequencies. Great app if you're nosey like me!

ShopSavvy (FREE) - Barcode scanner on steroids! Can't think of an option you could ask for of a barcode scanner this app doesn't have. Lists items online by price and locally by price. Create and edit a wishlist or be notified when an item you've scanned becomes available for a price you set. Tons of other cool features.

TV Guide (FREE) - Because the preview channel doesn't come in in my bedroom, so I can just grab mu droid and see what's on. App is based on your local provider and updates automatically!

Where's My Droid? (FREE) - Can't find your Droid? Send a text message with your key word or phrase and it will start ringing, even if you have it set to silent/vibrate! Actually LOST your Droid? Send a text message with your key word or phrase and it will give you it's location via GPS. One of those programs you hope you never need, but are priceless if you do!

Upvote 0
Waze is cool, but for my money, no app beats the stock Navigation app that comes with 2.1. I actual prefer it over my Garmin, which I'm not selling on eBay, since I shan't be needing it anymore.

Here are some cool apps I couldn't live without:

Advanced & Automatic Task Killer (FREE) - For automatically and/or manually killing apps running in the background (as if you didn't know that already)

AntiVirus (FREE) - Because who wants viruses or malware? Really.

Google Goggles (FREE) - Amazing app! You take a picture of any object, the app scans the picture, then searches and displays Google results for the image. Works 80% of the time. Has yet to prove it's self useful, but impressive all the same.

Metal Detector (FREE) - Another app that hasn't been of any real use to me, but it absolutely amazing that the phone actually can, and DOES, detect metal!

MyBackup ($4.99) - Has saved my ass at least twice so far. Backup contacts, applications, call log, bookmarks, SMS, MMS, System settings, Android Home, Alarms, Dictionary, Calender and your music playlist.

PdaNet (FREE) - Works flawlessly for tethering your Droid. There's a bunch of these programs out there, I know, but this one is simple and effective.

Scanner Radio (FREE) - Awesome app for listening to local police and fire frequencies. Great app if you're nosey like me!

ShopSavvy (FREE) - Barcode scanner on steroids! Can't think of an option you could ask for of a barcode scanner this app doesn't have. Lists items online by price and locally by price. Create and edit a wishlist or be notified when an item you've scanned becomes available for a price you set. Tons of other cool features.

TV Guide (FREE) - Because the preview channel doesn't come in in my bedroom, so I can just grab mu droid and see what's on. App is based on your local provider and updates automatically!

Where's My Droid? (FREE) - Can't find your Droid? Send a text message with your key word or phrase and it will start ringing, even if you have it set to silent/vibrate! Actually LOST your Droid? Send a text message with your key word or phrase and it will give you it's location via GPS. One of those programs you hope you never need, but are priceless if you do!

1)i dont condone use of task killers :p
2) anti virus is included in lookout mobile security
3)google goggles from what ive heard is a waste of time, and rarely gives you accurate results
4) metal detectors are cool, but mostly just to run in the face of iphone users
5)my backup sounds nice, but im only posting free apps
6)pda net....good idea, i forgot about this one because until just recently i wasnt able to use it. it didnt support mac 1.4. will be posting that soon.
7)scanner radio didnt find anything when i used it :/
8)shop savvy is a bit much. useful for parents of large families, people doing large events etc, but really all i need out of a barcode scanner is for it to scan barcodes lol
9)lookout mobile security has both of those features, and the are accessed from the internet with gps locating on google maps, and a siren activation on your phone for when its misplaced.

thanks for your list though!

Upvote 0
Three apps I can't live without:

StatusNotes ($1.49)- allows you to attach notes with custom icons in your status bar. Great for quick reminders. (Limited feature free version also available)
chart

Gesture Search (by Google)(Free)- Find contacts, apps, music, bookmarks by drawing letters. Search narrows with each letter. I have hundreds of business contacts on my phone and this makes it easy to find contacts quickly.
chart

xScope Browser ($2.99)- lightweight, fast browser. Multitouch, one finger zoom, tabs.
chart

Upvote 0
I don't mean to sound like an ass, but two of the apps you can't live without are of no use to you?

Yeah, I know. But I'm very easily entertained. LoL

Why do I keep hearing people saying they don't condone task killers? There must be something I don't know. Why would you not condone an app designed to save battery life? SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!! LoL

Upvote 0
Yeah, I know. But I'm very easily entertained. LoL

Why do I keep hearing people saying they don't condone task killers? There must be something I don't know. Why would you not condone an app designed to save battery life? SOMEONE PLEASE EXPLAIN THIS TO ME!!! LoL

do a search.
depending on who you ask, task killers either extend battery life or destroy it.
according to me, they destroy it :D

when you close apps repeatedly, the OS uses more CPU and battery reopening them and closing over and over.
there is a thread called taskillers, the good the bad and the ugly, where OTD breaks it down and explains. read up on it.
i used to use ATK, ut after reading that thread i uninstalled and within 2 days my phone was runing much smoother

Upvote 0
Good list. I see antivirus was mentioned. Are viruses really a problem we see today with our phones? I can picture them being a huge problem in a few years when more and more people stop using computers everyday and just their phones, but I've yet to see any major concerns thus far.

so far my phone hasnt mentioned any security issues. but its part of another application and you cant be too careful. third party apps can do some real damage, especially if you do things like online banking with your phone.
better safe than sorry kinda thing

Upvote 0
Calender pad - Like the options for the calender widget sizes

MixZing - The stock player repeated too often for me, plus it now has lock screen widget

TurboList - Like that it actually has the ability to check off the items in your lists, and can share via text, email, FB etc.

Tricorder - For the Trekky in all of us! I mean, c'mon, who doesn't want a fuctioning Tricorder in thier pocket?

Handcent - FTW. Best SMS out there. Pops up when locked, and customizable to the max.

Shazam - Helps me recognize music on the go, just let it listen, and BOOM! Artist/album info, link to thier Myspace(Whatspace?), link to purchase from Amazon.

Pandora - Use this when I get bored with my own music at work, just a great program.

That's all that I didn't see posted. All free, and available for 2.1 v2. Not sure about 1.5.
Would have posted QR's if I knew how!
Great thread btw.
I vote for sticky!

**EDIT**
I used ShopSavvy to scan a QR at work, and my iPhone enabled friend was all like "Damn that's a sweet app." Think I might have talked him into coming to Android this summer when his contract is up. Really likes the Incredible. Might not be the almighty Eris, but at least we might get another Android in the wild!

Upvote 0

I think you meant to say you are selling your Garmin on ebay?..

I would hold onto it. About a year and a half ago I drove from California to Arkansas... told my buddy "We dont need no stinkin Mapquest printouts... I have VZ Navigator on my phone."
Well, we went through about a state and a half of roaming service (Texas and Oklahoma) which meant no VZ NAvigator.
But if you're only using it around town, then the GPS on your phone is great.

As far as Waze... I tried it and it seems great for those that are on 1.5 and can't use Google Maps NAvigation.
Voice directions are pretty good accept for it doesn't speak the name of the stree/exit you need to turn on, just the distance. But it does say it on the screen.
Pretty fast at recalculating routes.

I would say it's the best one out there other that Google.

Upvote 0
Lookout seems awesome.
Just registered and had the things GPS locate my phone... pretty accurate...
Do you know if there's a way to stop the screaming from the phone? I clicked on stop scream from my computer... but it took about 30 seconds for the phone to get the message..
People at work were saying "answer the damn phone" lol...

Also, about the anti-virus,
I've read many posts about people saying that it's not really necessary on these phones. Have you found that it slows down your phone at all?

No, this was the first app I've downloaded after a couple of days of using my Nexus 'fresh' and it has not affected the battery usage. I like it since it's all in one and I don't need 3 apps to do what one does. Only thing I have against Lookout is that it DOES collect all of your data although it says it does not sell them but if it merge/bought by another company then that clause might change. It's free and no ads... also Google is collecting all of my data as it is >_> I've read other threads that say you don't need an antivirus because of the design of the OS (since it's Linux based) but I rather be safe than sorry especially if I download stuff from the internet.

Edit: and just saw a couple of posts after that Andrizoid replied a couple of posts after, lol.

Upvote 0
MixZing - The stock player repeated too often for me, plus it now has lock screen widget

TurboNote - Like that it actually has the ability to check off the items in your lists, and can share via text, email, FB etc.

MixZing, would the lock screen widget be similar to the HTC sense one?

TurboNote - have you tried the other free note apps? I'm trying to see which one I like before I dl one. I was wondering if I can attach a voice clip to the check items? And does it have its own widget?

Thanks,
-Roze-

Upvote 0
Ok, here is my list. I tried to avoid repeating anything someone already mentioned. I was going to include screen shots too, but figured that would make this WAY too long.

Album Art Grabber (Perfect for those missing album covers)
chart

Easy Money (The best money manager I have seen. Constant support from the dev too.)
chart

GDocs (The best for quick down and dirty document viewing and editing)
chart

iTag (2.1 only)(Unknown album or artist? Not anymore.)
chart

Key Ring Rewards Card (The updates have made this a really solid and useful app)
chart

MortPlayer Audio Books (Great free audio book player that allows for bookmarking)
chart

Places Directory (Pretty much what it says. If you need a place, this can usually find it)
chart

RadioTime (I dropped XM because of this app. Stations from around the world and right next door.)
chart

Red Poker Club (If you like poker this is great for a quick multiplayer game anytime.)
chart

Tone Picker (Use it to assign ringtones and notification tones to anything. Quick and easy.)
chart

vizBattery Widget (Small sized battery widget that won't eat at your battery life.)
chart

USAA Mobile (If you bank with them this is about the coolest app ever made. You can deposit checks into your account from your phone.)
chart

White Noise Lite (If you need sounds to help you fall asleep this is a wonderful app.)
chart

WPT

Reactions: TDianna and bjanow
Upvote 0
:eek:....Lucy, you've got some splainin to do...

LOL I could actually hear Dezzy while reading that post.

If you look at the app or even better read the dev's post it really isn't your normal TK. I found it a while back when I was looking for a system info app. It is well written and provides some great information for those looking to "manage" their phone. It does allow you to kill apps, but I think it is far more valuable as an information tool when people are still trying to understand how Android works. I don't actually use it, but I figured that enough people use task killers around here that providing one that is useful and informative might be helpful.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones