• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Sycobob

Aug 7, 2011
Tallahassee, FL
Inc 'cool story bro'

I noticed a design choice with the E4GT that I hated. There doesn't seem to be an option to mute alarms when the phone is on vibrate or silent. I have various daily alarms that act as reminders for stuff. I recently went to the movies and set my phone to vibrate not wanting to be 'that guy'. Well, I didn't realize it's common for modern phones to still play alarms when on silent. So my phone went off in the middle of the theater. Loudly. I scrambled to just shut it up and didn't notice I had only managed to hit Snooze. It went off again. Hooray, I'm the jerk whose cell phone goes off in theaters.

Needless to say, I had to find a way around this. I'm lazy and picky, so turning off alarms one by one wasn't an option. Also, since I use WidgetLocker, using an app that requires you to use their widget or app directly if you want to change the alarm volume (which they all do) wasn't an option either (can't put widgets on sliders, plus I like that the icon changes based of ringer mode). Realizing I wouldn't be getting the functionality I wanted through the market, I sat down yesterday and decided to do it myself.

I'm quite pleased with the results: http://androidforums.com/application-announcements/419758-tool-quiet-time.html

So there you go. If you want silent mode to be truly silent, there's now an easy, set it and forget it solution. You have the option to mute alarms and media, as well as display toasts letting you know when they are being muted or unmuted. My favorite part, is that it should work no matter how you change the ringer mode. As soon as it changed, your settings will take effect.

Feedback is always appreciated.

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones