1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

Muting the camera sounds - Galaxy S2 - Rooted and updated

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Jader7777, Dec 25, 2011.

1. Jader7777

Jader7777 Lurker

Hello, from Australia here. I've got myself a brand new Samsung Galaxy S2 but it makes this horridly loud klack whenever I try to take a photo. I'd like to silence it but I've only found frustration so far. Here's what I've done according to what I've read here on the site and else where on the internet.

Gingerbread.DVKF4 (2.3.3)
    Model GT-I100T
    Rooted, using S2 Root

I made sure I was totally up to date via Samsung Kies and the updating service found in > Applications.

Going to Settings > Sounds > Volume and changing the values does nothing to stop or quieten the shutter sound. Putting the phone to 'Vibrate only' also doesn't help.

I know how to see my system files using an app like 'File Manager', I can even see the /system/media/audio/ui/shutter_01.ogg sound. But I cannot rename, move or delete it because it is somehow protected by a mystical Samsung system files shield.

Someone suggested I put a certain file into the /data/ folder that would set the camera to the same setting as the System Volume, however I have a similar problem, nothing can be copied into the /data/ folder.

I've rooted the phone and attempted to use rooted file managing applications, however they have the same issue as the normal applications.

I'm starting to get quite irritated at the camera. Is there anyway to access the system files via USB and then modify them from that direction?

Sorry for having to make yet another 'camera shutter sounds' thread but I need to find answers.

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

Using root explorer you need to go to the camera sound files you have already found. If you look at the top of the screen you should see a box which says "Mount r/w", press this and you should now be able to change the file name.

3. Jader7777

Jader7777 Lurker

Thanks for the reply.

I couldn't find any thing with 'mount r/w' but I managed to find my own solution using the rooted 'Root browser' app. I simply found the file I wanted and held it down to bring up the permissions menu, then I unticked all the read only files boxes and went about deleting it normally.

No more shutter sound! However I still have the focus sound, where can I find that so as to delete it?

4. Shotgun84

Shotgun84 Extreme Android User

That should be in the same folder as the shutter sound. So system/media/audio/ui. You will have 5 sound files for the camera in there
    Cam_start.ogg
    Cam_stop.ogg
    Camera_click.ogg
    Camera_click_short.ogg
    Shutter.ogg

5. SuperMoncho

SuperMoncho Lurker

Good suggestion, but renaming all those files still left the focus sound intact :( I have tried the local.prop file approach as well but no joy either :(

I imagine the sound file must be in some other directory.

Any more suggestions?

Thanks in advance.

Samsung Galaxy S2 Forum

The Samsung Galaxy S2 release date was April 2011. Features and Specs include a 4.3" inch screen, 8MP camera, 1GB RAM, Exynos 4210 Dual processor, and 1650mAh battery.

April 2011
Release Date
Reviews