1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

MxQ not good 1080i display

Discussion in 'TV & Video' started by Brian1973, Jun 16, 2016.

1. Brian1973

Brian1973 Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2016
    Male
    I have an Ott Tv Box and trying to hook it to an older Mitsubishi CRT 65" HDTV... it has a DVI port on the tv and I have an HDMI cable that connects to it (HDMI one side, DVI other) however, I can't seem to get the resolution right. The HDMI to DVI works just fine with HDTV tuner and DVD player. I was able to hook the tv box up to my computer LED screen in order to unselect automatic resolution... as hooking it to the tv prior gave an unusable signal.... When I select the 1080i 60Hz (DVI port only allows 1080i, 480i and 480p), the screen looks bad... 50Hz selection does not work. With 60Hz, I get some flickering horizontal lines every few inches and just not easily readable.... 480p seems to distort color a bit but no flickering lines soooo 480i looks about best but I'd really like to use my 1080 resolution! What gives?

Advertisement

#1 Brian1973, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  2. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    It's unfortunate... but these boxes are full of pretty cheap components.
    I think it's asking a lot for it to power up a 65 inch display at full throttle.

I'll bet your problem can be traced back to the HDMI standards of your box and your TV DVI adapter.

The box should be HDMI version 2, but I don't think that they are. I suspect they are 1.4 versions.
    Also, your DVI input socket on the TV is almost certainly at the very low end of the resolution scale.

I could be wrong, but I don't think that this is a problem that you'll be able to fix.

#2 Andrew Cole, Jun 16, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 16, 2016
  3. Brian1973

Brian1973 Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2016
    Male
    Would any box you think work with this 65" tv? I'm tech savy somewhat, but I have no clue how to figure the HDMI standards on boxes (not printed anywhere and a search online leads me to nothing) and not sure what "low end of resolution scale" would be. To me, if I can plug other HDMI stuff into this tv and they work great, don't see why a tv box shouldn't... other than, as you say, it's made of cheap components that just aren't up to snuff. TV manual says DVI supports HDCP (which refers to copy protection)? I suppose that signifies some sort of compliance. I suppose I will just run the MxQ box at 480i and figure some of the stuff on there isn't in HD anyway sooooo, use it as more of a novelty than a primary source of viewing. Sort of a shame. Is there anyway to run the box through something else and then into the tv to get the higher def picture you think?

4. mikedt

mikedt 你好

Sep 22, 2010
    Teachaaa
    Jinan, China
    Could be the fact that it's just not working as it should, like complying with HDMI standards. These MXQ, MX, M8, etc. boxes are really cheapo no-name devices from unknown manufacturers, and frankly they're often buggy or have other issues, due to poor quality and/or lack of R&D testing, yeh like "it's made of cheap components that just aren't up to snuff." Sometimes they die within weeks as well or are just simply DOA.

Nothing you can do with the thing, other than return it to the vendor(probably in Hong Kong or Shenzhen) for replacement or refund(preferable).

BTW you don't have to worry about HDCP (DRM copy protection) with these things, they're usually full of illegal pirate stream sources. :thumbsupdroid: ...and if you're not careful could potentially get you into serious trouble.
    http://androidforums.com/threads/isp-notification-from-fox-and-universal-studios.994111/
    Cheapo box and "We received a notice from our ISP that said we infringed on the rights of Universal pictures and our actions were a violation of piracy." :eek:

#4 mikedt, Jun 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jun 17, 2016
    Brian1973 likes this.
  5. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    You are limited because you don't have a dedicated HDMI port on your old CRT TV.

Simply converting an HDMI signal into a DVI one isn't going to give you the same power and latitude of HDMI specifications.

You would be better off buying a small home computer with a motherboard that has a DVI output and running Kodi from that.

Brian1973 likes this.
  6. Brian1973

Brian1973 Lurker
    None

Jun 16, 2016
    Male
    Thanks guys... again, the other sources/dvd/ATSC tuner work fine through DVI port on TV with a conversion cable attached so I do get fine HD signal onto the tv.... and I suspect the cheap components in the MxQ box is the best answer :-( 480i isn't horrible since most stuff thru the box seems standard def anyhow.... just a novelty and will rely on my ATSC tuner for most HD stuff, otherwise it's 480i for DVD although upconverted seems to look a little better through the hdmi...

Andrew Cole likes this.