1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

Support Mxq remote pair

Discussion in 'Android TV' started by Tp123, Sep 29, 2016.

1. Tp123

Tp123 New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Male
    Hey everyone,

I'm a little confused about pairing my mxq remote (default remote with a clear power button on the top right) to my tv using the buttons under the "TV control" section on the remote. I have Googled this issue 10000 times and tried following instructions stating to hold down the clear power button until the light turns solid red. I have held down that power button for like 2 minutes and the red light continuously blinks and never goes solid. Same thing goes for the set button, never turns solid red.

Any ideas about where I am going wrong? I don't think it's a defective remote, it works fine with my mxq box, just not the tv....

Advertisement

2. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Well-Known Member

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    Pair the volume up and volume down buttons when the remote rapid flashes red... NOT solid red.

That's what worked for me.
    Also, the only two buttons I could program were the 1st and 4th buttons.
    (Worked out well: I just wanted the TV volume control on my Android box remote.) :)

When the Android remote is rapid flashing red point the remotes toward each other and press the volume down button on the TV with the first gray button on the Android TV box remote.

When the Android remote is rapid flashing red point the remotes toward each other and press the volume up button on the TV with the fourth gray button on the Android TV box remote.

I never did manage to get any other buttons to pair up. :(

Let us know how you get on.

#2 Andrew Cole, Sep 29, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 29, 2016
  3. Tp123

Tp123 New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Male
    Just a quick question, what button do you hold to make remote control flash red?

Is it the clear (greyish) power button at the top right of the remote, or do you hold the button that you're trying to pair to TV (i.e the volume down button on the mbox remote)

4. Andrew Cole

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    Hold down the gray button on the remote for a few seconds, until the rapidly flashing LED slows down a little.

Now press the button on the other TV remote that you want to teach the remote to mimic.

Next press the Box remote button that you want to assign the taught function to.

When the gray button times out (stops flashing) the process is complete.

5. Tp123

Tp123 New Member

Sep 29, 2016
    Male
    Doesn't seem to work, but before I give up, I just have one more question.

So, when you hold down the grey button on the MBOX remote for a few seconds, then push the button on the TV remote, and, finally, the corresponding button on the MBOX remote, do I keep the grey button held down throughout this entire process?

For example, I am trying to pair the volume up button. So I start with holding the grey button for like 40 seconds. Then, with the grey button held down still, I align the remotes together, press the volume up button on the tv remote, release the grey button on the MBOX remote, then press the volume + button the box remote (under TV Control section). Note that when I release the grey button on the box remote, the red light immediately stops blinking. I'm sure I probably did something wrong.

Thanks again for all of your help.

6. Andrew Cole

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    Do not hold down the gray button once the slow red blinking starts.
    Hold the gray button in for about five seconds.
    Then match the two remotes. You may have to repeatedly press the buttons.

It took me loads of tries to do it.

7. CadenC

CadenC New Member

Jan 2, 2017
    Hi,

I have the same problem with my remote. Did you find a fix?

The problem is that the blinking never slows when holding the power button. It seems it is not entering pairing mode.

8. Joven_ts

Joven_ts New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Male
    Same issue here

9. Andrew Cole

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    Why are you waiting for the button to slow down?
    Where did you read that this was part of the process?

10. Joven_ts

Joven_ts New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Male
    For me, holding down the grey power button causes it to flash rapidly but once released it turns off. I've tried holding down for 5 seconds, 10 seconds, 20 seconds, 60 seconds, 120 seconds.. etc

11. Andrew Cole

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    I suspect that different remotes have different colored buttons!

When I have time, I'll do a pictorial guide on how to reprogram the four buttons on the Android TV remote and start a new thread.

12. Joven_ts

Joven_ts New Member

Jan 8, 2017
    Male
    For reference, this is the remote I have. (and to note, I've tried holding down both the grey power button and the SET button)
    [​IMG]

Andrew Cole likes this.
  13. Jackster7

Jackster7 New Member

Jan 28, 2017
    Male
    Ohh for god sake, freaking pride...

Very nice from each one involved on this issue, but the focus here is on the struggle to keep the innocence over what I believe was finally noticed a few post above..

That no one had understood the "procedure" on the question.
    "HE HOLDS THE GRAY BUTTON IT BLINKS(NO MATTER FOR HOW LONG"
    "HE RELEASES THE GREY BUTTON IT STOPS BLINKING(REMAINS GRAY)"

I'm experiencing the same struggle with the same model my friend, there's nothing to hide or to undercover in my words, I do not believe you're doing anything wrong from the first place, so no teaching...
    I do not know for sure, but I'll suggest that your problem is with your batteries.
    I'm not talking about a matter of charge, I'm suggesting you to see that behind the two batteries, on the board is written: "3 freaking volts battery each battery."

So I'm wondering that this control is brand new, most like 3d printed, and for being so or other modern ordinary reason this control is requiring two 3v batteries to operate both modes, and does that so your batteries wont discharge too fast.
    Noticed that different from other models that you can exchange in between mode, over the same buttons, this one seems to have independent circuits for the pc and tv, in order to cause no conflict by many sort of applications one may try to use with the android side of it...

In resume, "buy two 3v batteries and give it a try"
    good luck friends...

14. Andrew Cole

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    Awesome! I read that twice and still don't understand it! :)

Jackster7 likes this.
  15. LKenneth

LKenneth New Member

Feb 8, 2017
    Male
    I have your solution!!! At least in part - I was having the same issue with the same remote pictured below in other post. I found a clip on YouTube about how to manually reset any remote control. It sounds crazy but it worked. Basically, take the batteries out of remote then press and hold each button in succession for 3 seconds - WITH BATTERIES OUT - (I did this twice to be sure, counting one one thousand, two one thousand, etc lol) Put the batteries back in and you will then be able to follow the steps as directed by the other guy (press and hold button steps, etc). Try it and let me know man! I was able to at least get the TV power and volume buttons working this way, finally!!
    Pee.S. here is the YouTube vid I referenced, couldn't believe it actually worked after doing this haha

#15 LKenneth, Feb 8, 2017
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2017
  16. Andrew Cole

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    Hmm! I'm not sure how pressing buttons on your remote without any batteries in it can possibly make any difference... but there are plenty of comments under the video which suggests that many people have had success doing this.

Gotta love YouTube, eh?