1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

MXQ S208 plain black box

Discussion in 'TV & Video' started by purplejeeta, Aug 16, 2016.

1. purplejeeta

purplejeeta Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2016
    Female
    Hi, I'm new so please bare with me. I have your most basic MXQ box,http://www.ebay.com/itm/MXQ-Android...ad-/321967242303?_trksid=p2352135.m2548.l4275, this is what I have.
    1. Model number : MXQ
    2. Android Version : 4.4.2
    3. Build number : KOT49H.20160106 test-keys
    I'm hoping to update it to something newer. I've googled every variation of the box and keep finding stock firmware. I was hoping there was something newer. I tried using it today and it said "ota servier argent" check failed. I don't know what this means. I tried to watch both kodi and youtube and both kept dropping saying no server found. doubled checked wifi conections everything was green checked with an ethernet cable same thing, it kept dropping. I was hoping to update it to the newest android version. I find things for the MXQpro but not sure if it will work with this box(it was a gift) and can't find anything that says it will or won't. I did find a video on how to update kodi, but i didn't think it would update the entire box. Any way any help will be greatly appreciated. And I'm sorry if this is the wrong place direct me where to go and I'll go there.
    p/s. I don't think it is a beelink(?) box

Advertisement

2. Andrew Cole

Andrew Cole Android Enthusiast
    None

Jun 12, 2016
    Male
    You have a generic (and rather old) cheap Chinese box probably worth about 5 bucks in parts.
    There are no 'OTA' firmware updates available for this. There never was.
    (OTA means "over the air"... an update offered by the manufacturer via your internet connection.)

If your device boots up and the apps load then the device is working correctly.
    If the apps aren't showing channels that you like then you should explore other options.

Some services and channels may be blocked in your country.
    KODI channels come and go on the hour every hour.
    Some are well-maintained and current and others are just neglected.

The hardware and firmware are not upgradeable, unfortunately for you.
    You could buy a newer and better-equipped box but I suspect that your problems will be the same.
    The content you want is simply not available.

3. purplejeeta

purplejeeta Lurker
    None

Aug 16, 2016
    Female
    ok thank you. thats what i suspected as well. it was a gift so no cost lost to me. I'll look into other forms, any boxes you would recommend? or is it better just running kodi off of my desktop as i have been?