• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

my 10th phone is in the mail

From my experience,the quality issues are with the re-furbs that they give out as replacements. I've been with Verizon for numerous years, and have 4 of their phones concurrently for the family.

In general, the original phones have been fine. Most last us for 2+ years, and then we upgrade. But in those few cases where we've had a serious issue and had to return/replace a phone, the replacement units have had one serious issue after another.

I had one LG phone that died and they went through two replacement attempts while I was still in the store, and then the third unit lasted exactly 3 hours after walking out the door before I had to turn around and go back. The next unit lasted less than a week. I've had similar -- though less extreme -- problems with two other replacement devices over the years.

Because of this, I only consider getting a replacement if the problem is so severe that I can't live with it until the next upgrade discount. Otherwise, the cure can be worse than the disease.

Upvote 0
it is insane the problems with refurbishments. my 11th phone might be pissing me off but i do not want to have to get a 12th phone. then i would demand a new one. I like the phone, it is a little slow. but then 1 week ago it stopped receiving emails. I tried all i knew to get it working again but i couldn't fix it.

SO.........
I just factory data reset it and we will see how it goes now. i really do not want to have to get a 12th phone.

and to all the people in the beginning that were hating on me for getting new phones you can now see I have had this phone for 3 months now and i have not tried to get it replaced, because it worked until last week.

Upvote 0
I know someone who works for Verizon and they get all the phones long before release to put them through real world testing. I am sure they put them through lab testing as well.

HA! I don't believe this for a second. I went through 3 Eris, 2 for trackballs, and one for dust under the screen (though that was an Asurion replacement that I'm sure someone had shattered the original screen and sent back in and whoever put the new screen on was a moron and didn't get it to fit right) and then 2 Incredibles that literally didn't even work long enough to activate them before I got a working Incredible. Verizon doesn't do anything besides factory reset the phone, play with it for 2 minutes and stick in a certified like new box.

Upvote 0
OK so some of you might remember me as the person that has gone through like 11 phones in less than a year. Well i am getting a new phone and this time ............ I am paying for it! I am picking up a Thunderbolt, because somehow my account was eligible for an upgrade and I am tired of dealing with this phone. Good luck to you guys

Upvote 0
OK so some of you might remember me as the person that has gone through like 11 phones in less than a year. Well i am getting a new phone and this time ............ I am paying for it! I am picking up a Thunderbolt, because somehow my account was eligible for an upgrade and I am tired of dealing with this phone. Good luck to you guys

"..like 11 phones in less than a year." That is about one phone per month.

That many devices going through the hands of one user could add up to being user error, or abuse of the device, or misunderstanding of the device, at least for some of them.

Prior to the Droid 2, have you had success with other Android phones? Problems with non-Android phones, etc?

These remarks and questions I'm asking are by way of trying to help. User issues are just as important to address as device issues, and remedies can be found if an open-minded approach can be implemented.

Upvote 0
Here's the story. Seems to be more a story of the poor quality of insurance replacement phones. http://androidforums.com/motorola-droid-2/223376-my-10th-phone-mail.html

Yes and no. I only half buy his story. I can understand going through a couple bad refurbs, but 11? I don't buy that. Either super nitpicky about his phone, it didn't happen or it did happen and this is one crazy situation.

I love my phone. But if I had so much trouble with smartphones that I had to send 11 back, i'd give up and get a flip phone that works

Upvote 0
I love my phone. But if I had so much trouble with smartphones that I had to send 11 back, i'd give up and get a flip phone that works

I'm in agreement with that for the most part. The second messed up device would have me seeking a refund or replacement to another device altogether. Better Business Bureau has become quite proactive about these things, going so far as to mediate remedies for these sorts of issues.

I do know, however, that people are just different about things like this; some will simply persist until they are satisfied with the one device they have decided on. I'm wondering if the OP is one of those folks, or if he felt "stuck" with that model of phone because of the line being fed to him by the reps.

Upvote 0
I have read this board for a while, but felt I needed to register to comment.

When I first read this (after getting my Droid 2) I thought there was no way possible someone could go through so many phones. I am waiting on my 3rd Droid 2, as I have had ridiculous problems as well.

The first one had screen issues, where it would go black, but the phone would stay on and wouldn't turn off. It would notify messages, and ring, but with the screen black, nothing I could do. I pulled the battery and would reset, but nothing worked. Then all of a sudden, the screen would come back. This happened about every other day. Since it is a work phone, I can't really go full days without being able to access my calls.

It was funny, the girl at the store said about 9 times out of 10 they will send you a brand new phone, and of course I got a refurb. I am thinking she inflated the numbers. Anyway, phone worked good for a while, but then the keyboard stopped working correctly (and that is the specific reason I bought the phone, for the keyboard, which I love to use. It started doubling and tripling letters constantly, like if I typed "hello" it would come out as "heeellloo" and I was constantly having to go back and fix basically every other word.

So, today my #3 phone should be arriving. I agree with the above sentiments. It is just a bummer to have to redo all the aps, get everything transfered over, and rearrange the phone back to how it was.

I do love the phone, and when it works it is great, but since I do use it for work, I don't want to keep worrying about replacing it and/or getting it fixed.

Upvote 0
I will admit that I destroyed one phone. That was before I got onto the Android bandwagon. i seriously just want a working phone, and I can't go to a dumbphone because of my job. and yes there are problems with the new phone but I am told it is just network stuff. like calls not going through. i know i am a hard person to believe because of the insane amount of phones, and I know in the thread about my number of phones I think I had forgotten one, that is why my number is different.

I liked the Droid 2 but when my phone rings and I can not pick up the call that is a problem.

Upvote 0
Just to make it clear deris, i'm not outright calling you a liar or a scammer. I'm just saying it almost sounds unbelievable. Most of us have experienced people around us complaining about a phone because of something that they just don't know about. People on the new flash 10.2 app for android complained that it didn't offer apps2sd support, not even realizing that it's not even an app. Its a plugin. Same people complained that they couldn't find launcher pro in their app drawer.Or I've seen people around me complain that sometimes they won't even get their emails or texts, not even realizing they had the phone in power saver mode (which if you don't know what that means, it saves battery life by not syncing between 10pm and 5am)

I've seen people be so rough with their phone's sliding mechanism that part of it broke off, yet they blamed the phone. Verizon was nice enough to send them a refurb to make them happy, but they went online and blamed THE PHONE.

I don't know you so i can't say, all i can say is good luck with the thunderbolt and take care of it. And a suggestion: i wouldn't normally suggest a best buy insurance plan on ANYTHING (tvs, laptops, or anything else) but phones it totally makes sense. They charge $10 a month and if your phone breaks, they literally open a box and give you a new one with no deductible

My friend's droid 2 was genuinely defective: the capacitive buttons stopped working most of the time. We went into best buy, they saw that 7 out of 10 times the buttons didn't work and they opened a new droid 2 and activated it for him. He was out of the store in 10 minutes

Upvote 0
Just to make it clear deris, i'm not outright calling you a liar or a scammer. I'm just saying it almost sounds unbelievable. Most of us have experienced people around us complaining about a phone because of something that they just don't know about. People on the new flash 10.2 app for android complained that it didn't offer apps2sd support, not even realizing that it's not even an app. Its a plugin. Same people complained that they couldn't find launcher pro in their app drawer.Or I've seen people around me complain that sometimes they won't even get their emails or texts, not even realizing they had the phone in power saver mode (which if you don't know what that means, it saves battery life by not syncing between 10pm and 5am)

I've seen people be so rough with their phone's sliding mechanism that part of it broke off, yet they blamed the phone. Verizon was nice enough to send them a refurb to make them happy, but they went online and blamed THE PHONE.

I don't know you so i can't say, all i can say is good luck with the thunderbolt and take care of it. And a suggestion: i wouldn't normally suggest a best buy insurance plan on ANYTHING (tvs, laptops, or anything else) but phones it totally makes sense. They charge $10 a month and if your phone breaks, they literally open a box and give you a new one with no deductible

My friend's droid 2 was genuinely defective: the capacitive buttons stopped working most of the time. We went into best buy, they saw that 7 out of 10 times the buttons didn't work and they opened a new droid 2 and activated it for him. He was out of the store in 10 minutes

i understand if you do not want to believe me. thank you for the advice

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones