• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Account app and debit cards

Maybe this belongs in the applications department, but the My Account app is unique to T-Mobile android phones, since it was written by T-Mobile, so this seems a better place to ask.

Normally I pay my monthly bill with this app. It always works fine. It would continue to work fine except I closed the bank account that I used to use and now have a different debit card. The app helpfully remembers the old card number since that is the card number I used last time. There are windows to enter security codes, phone number, etc., but I can't find any way to add or change a card number.

Surely I am not the first customer in the history of T-Mobile to change banks. How in the heck do I change the debit card number?

Have you tried logging in to your account from the T-Mobile website (from a PC or laptop) and changing your CC info there.... and then uninstalling the app and reinstalling to see if it snags the new CC info?

No, that is, I went to tmobile.com, but I'd have to create an account. I have a hundred web site accounts with usernames and passwords that I cannot remember. So I declined to open yet another.

I did call customer service. First I got someone whose English was so bad that I could understand only about one word out of three. After five minutes I figured out that he was with the Payment Department and would not be able to help me with the My Account app. Finally he suggested I talk to a supervisor, to which I readily agreed. But that got me to just another tier one employee, who also knew nothing of the My Account app, although at least I could understand her. She told me I needed technical support, so I agreed to be transferred to technical support. When Technical Support finally answered the fellow sounded like he was on Mars. I could barely hear him. After five minutes of trying to communicate he suggested that he call me back. I agreed and hung up. A few minutes later the phone chirped for a moment and when I looked at the screen I realized that he had called from the 800 number that I had blocked in order to stop T-Mobile's marketing calls. That escapade took nearly 20 minutes, after which I gave up trying to pay my bill.

All I want to do is pay my <expletive deleted> bill. You'd think this would be so streamlined that all I'd have to do is think about it and it would be done.

Upvote 0
Well, I spent 52 minutes on the phone trying to find someone capable of changing my debit card number. I was transferred 17 times, usually back to the initial menuing system. I was given an 800 number for the "Resource Center," but when I called it I found that it was just another automated payment system. I sure wish I could find a number that would connect with a real human with authority.

Upvote 0
That sucks you are having so many problems. The easiest answer may be to go into a store so they can deal with customer service to have your card changed. They usually have a different number for store employees to call.

I would have the app on my phone and try to provide an answer, but I can't get the app on my Nexus 4, even though I'm on Tmobile.

Upvote 0
I'm going to agree with Chrls on this one. I think going to a physical T-Mobile store will bring you a happier experience as they tend to be a lot nicer when you're standing face to face, and they'll bend over backwards to make you happy. At least that's been my personal experience with the people in their stores.

Sorry you're having so much trouble, and hope you can get it worked out soon.

Upvote 0
No, that is, I went to tmobile.com, but I'd have to create an account. I have a hundred web site accounts with usernames and passwords that I cannot remember. So I declined to open yet another.

I did call customer service. First I got someone whose English was so bad that I could understand only about one word out of three. After five minutes I figured out that he was with the Payment Department and would not be able to help me with the My Account app. Finally he suggested I talk to a supervisor, to which I readily agreed. But that got me to just another tier one employee, who also knew nothing of the My Account app, although at least I could understand her. She told me I needed technical support, so I agreed to be transferred to technical support. When Technical Support finally answered the fellow sounded like he was on Mars. I could barely hear him. After five minutes of trying to communicate he suggested that he call me back. I agreed and hung up. A few minutes later the phone chirped for a moment and when I looked at the screen I realized that he had called from the 800 number that I had blocked in order to stop T-Mobile's marketing calls. That escapade took nearly 20 minutes, after which I gave up trying to pay my bill.

All I want to do is pay my <expletive deleted> bill. You'd think this would be so streamlined that all I'd have to do is think about it and it would be done.

If having too many passwords is bothering you, you might want to consider a service like LastPass. It encrypts your passwords locally, then stores the encrypted passwords in the cloud and is gets very good reviews. It is free for the basic version, they charge an annual fee, $12, for a premium upgrade that allows you to use Android (and other mobile) LastPass apps.

If you aren't comfortable having encrypted passwords online, the PC Mag review I linked also mentions some good offline password services.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones