• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My account was hacked

jhtalisman

Android Enthusiast
Sep 6, 2011
Nashvegas, Tn
Unfortunately my account was hacked. I have zero knowledge of who or how, I did receive warnings from Google/Chrome about my account credentials being part of a data breach but neglected to change my password.

It has since been changed along with 2 step verification enabled.

I would like to apologize for anything that was posted without my knowledge and consent.

Did you look to see if anyone had indeed posted anything?

At this time all of my previous posts are inaccessible by me so I have no idea. I assume that something inappropriate or offensive was as I was put on a no-post probation. My user status has also been downgraded to lurker as well.

For those that have been here for awhile they know that I always have been respectful in my posts so they should have known something else was up. I think I had been warned once before in several years.

Upvote 0
7 straight days of working from "home" (work) 94 hours in those 7 days after today and it has been hell. I work in plastic manufacturing for hygiene products including diaper material and medical barrier materials. We are to put it bluntly balls to the wall. Can't make enough product. Had some large hiccups this week including parts of machines being destroyed and an area of the facility flooding due to a water hose to a machine rupturing. Fun times.

Add to that we have been running shorthanded the past 3 days because of our product mix on the 5 lines and I am exhausted. Ready for the next 2 days off.
if you are making medical supplies that are needed on the front line , then i really appreciate the hard work you are doing. just keep in mind that you are saving lives. keep up the great work and stay safe:thumbsupdroid::maskeddroid::thumbsupdroid:
f you are making medical supplies that are needed on the front line , then i really appreciate the hard work you are doing. just keep in mind that you are saving lives. keep up the great work and stay safe:thumbsupdroid::maskeddroid::thumbsupdroid:

this is from https://androidforums.com/threads/the-official-coronavirus-work-from-home-thread.1322636/page-2 in which i quoted you from. its weird that there is no history of your post from that thread.

i'll alert the mods and see what they say or if they could chime in on what they could do.....if there is anything they can do.

Reactions: MrJavi
Upvote 0
I can see the amount of likes I have, but not the the actual posts themselves.

Yes, in hindsight I should have changed my password as soon as I saw the data breach notification from Google. I will keep that in mind for if it happens again.

Just know that whatever happened it wasn't me nor was it intentional. I am sure some sort of IP tracing can verify that.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
A few days ago I reported a spam post with the observation that this appeared to have been posted by a long-standing member and hence it was possible that someone else was in control of the account. Unfortunately I can't remember whose account it was, but it might have been yours. If it was then maybe it's a small consolation that it was only spam and nothing worse.

Last edited:
Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
A few days ago I reported a spam post with the observation that this appeared to have been posted by a long-standing member and hence it was possible that someone else was in control of the account. Unfortunately I can't remember whose account it was, but it might have been yours. If it was then maybe it's a small consolation that it was only spam and nothing worse.

That seems a reasonable assumption. Although I do not post as much as others, I do attempt to keep my responses either lighthearted or informative based upon which specific forum they may be.

I also have been dealing with the loss of my grandmother which somewhat explains the absence from here whether as an active poster or observer.

I, once again, apologize for the neglect of warnings from Google. I am somewhat encouraged to see that possibly it was spam and not anything more serious, yet saddened that currently my account is still limited.

Upvote 0
Only the mods will know precisely what action was taken and whether it's possible to restore your posts. Since moderation decisions aren't discussed in public the best thing might be to open a thread in the Private Chat with Staff forum - as only yourself and the staff can see any thread you post there you might be able to have a better discussion.

I think downgrade to "lurker" is just a consequence of the reduction in post count.

I'm sorry about your grandmother.

Upvote 0
^^ (I hope they've been in touch)

I had a regular warning from Google in the last week for one password with pop ups I hadn't seen before on Windows pc and android.

Thing is this password is the default password for a Huawei mifi device I use with a sim. I only need it to access SMS messages from the sim card which I temporarily don't have a 2nd phone for.
Neener Neener :rolleyes: :p

Reactions: MrJavi and ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I'm confused. What does Google have to do with this? :thinking:

At any rate, I'm glad you're back--the real you--and hope your post history will be restored.
I believe it’s the warning a la “your account was accessed from a new device” or something like that. I see it when I log on from a new device. if I saw it and *hadn’t* recently logged on from a new device, I’d be following up quickly.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'm confused. What does Google have to do with this? :thinking:

At any rate, I'm glad you're back--the real you--and hope your post history will be restored.

If you have Google save site passwords, when a security breach involving a site with which you have your information saved occurs, they will notify you of said breach upon login. See attached. 20200723_195528.jpg

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If you have Google save site passwords, when a security breach involving a site with which you have your information saved occurs, they will notify you of said breach upon login. See attached. View attachment 152490
I did not know that! Thanks. :)

So when you follow it, it shows you which site it was?

Reactions: ocnbrze and MrJavi
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones