• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Air Times

dgoulston

Mar 29, 2010
London
www.dg83.com
Just thought I would post my new app:
--------------------------------------------------
search:
pname:com.dg83.myairtimes
img.php

the NEW 'My Air Times'

View Live Departure/Arrivals for the worlds airports

This App is new, so please email me support issues

Coming Soon:
Location Based Airports
Filters (Airline/Flight No)
Widget

Let me know what you think/ideas!

Darren

Your QR code doesn't work (you need to include the protocol identifier "market:" in front of the URL!).

Anyway, I found it, installed it and tried it. First impressions: it is very, very slow. When I click on "Departure times", it takes a couple of seconds before the screen goes black and than another 10 seconds or so until the search-screen shows. It is also very slow to actually find information, it takes a couple of minutes (!) for example to get departure times from my local airport (AMS).

Other than that, it is somewhat "stubborn" when selecting airports in a country that is not the default. I've got my default set to the Netherlands, but I want departure times from an airport in Germany. So I type "germany" in the country-selection and than want to see information from Dusseldorf. When I type "Dusseldorf" at the "Select City..." prompt, it refuses that and provides a list of airports in the Netherlands. In the end, I had to wipe all fields and enter the correct airport code in the bottom to get to its information. That's not very helpful to the average traveler I guess.

Reactions: dgoulston
Upvote 0
Okay, I retried. Not an improvement, au contraire! First screen ("Welcome To My Air Times"), click "Search Times", I had to wait 6 seconds before the screen dissapeared and another 8 seconds before it shows the "Search" form.

Also, when entering "Dusseldorf" in the search field and the default country is "Netherlands", it doesn't find it. Actually, it won't find any airport unless you have the IATA code for it (and that just isn't workable). Searching, even on a highspeed wifi connection, takes forever. Literally.

Upvote 0
What device are you using? the screen takes 3 seconds to open on the HTC Desire.

Dusseldorf airport has 2 dots above the "u" which is why you cant find it, i will get rid of special characters.

To load departures for Dusseldorf, it took me 40 seconds on a very slow gprs connection. which is faster then the websites I have found that provide the same info.

Thanks for the feedback
Darren

Upvote 0
Thanks for looking into this. I'm using an HTC Hero running BeHERO+1.2 (Eclair ROM). It is not slow in other apps.

I tried Duesseldorf as a generally accepted alternative (the German u+umlaut is often replaced by 'ue'!) but that wasn't accepted either.

I noticed you just updated the software to 1.6 so re-installed. Still very, very slow.

Duesseldorf doesn't work, Dusseldorf now is found. However, Dusseldorf isn't the only one... next I tried Munich airport. Can't find it as Munchen, Muenchen, M

Upvote 0
Thanks for looking into this. I'm using an HTC Hero running BeHERO+1.2 (Eclair ROM). It is not slow in other apps.

I tried Duesseldorf as a generally accepted alternative (the German u+umlaut is often replaced by 'ue'!) but that wasn't accepted either.

I noticed you just updated the software to 1.6 so re-installed. Still very, very slow.

Duesseldorf doesn't work, Dusseldorf now is found. However, Dusseldorf isn't the only one... next I tried Munich airport. Can't find it as Munchen, Muenchen, M

Upvote 0
Hi Jev

I have just uploaded Version 1.7

Let me know if your Search Screen loads any quicker. I am not sure if it will, but it does on mine (<1 sec) because I have put all the data loading in the background. but I know that only the desire is multi-threaded, so not sure if that will make your device quicker,

I develop on the Desire, so that's the only unit I have to test with.

The main thing about this app which might be useful, is to save you favourite airports, then you can load them really quickly in favourites, Because in the main search, don't forget it has to load over 9000 airports (Name, City, Country, Airport Code) that's why you have the delay.

Thanks
Darren

Reactions: jev
Upvote 0
As for Munich Airport, could you please stop browsing airports that have silly names lol :p
Haha, no, I won't stop until you can pronounce "Schiphol" correctly :D

These airports sure have some remarkable names. I mentioned Rome, that would be the Leonardo Da Vinci Airport. And so on ;). Better to use the names of the cities I guess!

I have just uploaded Version 1.7
Super, I'll give it a whirl!

Hmm... remarkable, the market doesn't tell me there's a new version so I re-installed from the market. It still says "1.6" on that version. I'll try again later.

I'll keep ya posted!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones