1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

Support My Android and my GM stereo don't get along...

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by jacksonh, Feb 23, 2011.

1. jacksonh

jacksonh Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    I just bought a new GMC truck, and it comes with this really convenient USB port where I can plug my EVO4G in directly to charge and play music from the phone, but for whatever reason (because GM sucks...), my phone really isn't fully supported.

It seems that the iPhone was in mind, as well as USB sticks when this thing was developed. It usually just says that the USB device is not recognized. I can do a hack of sorts, setting the phone to USB drive mode, then switching back to charge only - if I'm quick and can unplug and replug the phone before I see "Preparing SD Card" on the notify bar at the top, the car will magically read the phone and play my MP3's. That doesn't seem like the safest option, though, and it won't recognize the phone in USB drive or charge only mode without doing that little trick. :mad:

Anyone here know of a way to get the car to accept the phone without any tricks?

Advertisement

2. Hrethgir

Hrethgir Android Expert
    None

Feb 16, 2010
    Male
    Intel fab tech
    Salem, OR
    Can't really help with your problem, but I gotta ask why you bought a GMC truck if you think GM sucks? Only solution I cangive you is to buy a new stereo that does fully support your phone. Welcome to the forum!

3. jacksonh

jacksonh Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    Same reason I bought an Android, even though the iPhone is a superior product - it was the best thing offered in my area.

Thanks for the welcome, even if you don't know how to fix the problem.

4. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    When I set my phone to USB drive mode and plug it into my computer's USB port, it also charges my phone. You shouldn't need to set the phone to charge mode in order to charge. I have an HTC Desire Z. I don't have a USB port on my car, but I would figure that it would word the same way as on my computer. The charge mode is there on the Desire Z if I only want to charge. If I want to do something else like sync, I can set the Desire Z to sync and it will sync AND charge.

Try setting your Evo to USB drive mode and just leave it. You should be able to access your music and it should also charge your phone.

5. jacksonh

jacksonh Lurker
    None

Feb 23, 2011
    If you read my original post, you'll see that when the phone's in usb mode, the stereo says device not recognized. It's not until I switch it from disk drive to charge only that the stereo will recognize it, but it has to be set to disk drive first, then changed to charge only to get the stereo to see the device. Not exactly sure what the phone is doing there, but there's something that's happening when set to disk drive the stereo doesn't like.

6. Stuntman

Stuntman Android Expert
    None

Nov 18, 2010
    Vancouver, Canada
    Sorry, I misread your original post. :eek: It does sound like the car does not have the proper drivers. I noticed that on one of my PC's, if I stick a new USB device in it, the PC starts looking for drivers so it can read the device.

I assume your phone works properly when you plug it into your computer in USB mode. You may want to try plugging your phone into some other car to see if the problem is with the phone or the car.

I'm not sure if the following is an option for you. My car does not have a USB port. It does have a tape deck instead. I purchased one of those adapters that allow me to plug my phone/music player (via the headphone jack) into the tape deck and play my music that way.

7. harryd2000

harryd2000 Lurker
    None

Nov 17, 2011
    Get a Mobostick from HSTi to solve your problem.

Plugs to the USB port and allows you to share any file with your GM entertainment system. Wirelessly!

check out their youtube channel mobostick to see it in action with an HTC phone and a generic stereo.

H

Tags: