• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Android shows the Google now Laucher as an recent app.

pablobochi

Lurker
Apr 24, 2017
When I open an app and then press the recent apps button, the google now launcher appears as an app. And if I close it or press the home button, the laucher is restarted. It is really annoying and slows the smartphone.
It began when I updated to Marshmallow.

I have a Moto g 4 plus.

Attachments

• Screenshot_20170423-153604.png
    Screenshot_20170423-153604.png
    995.4 KB · Views: 78
The Google Now launcher was introduced with Marshmallow, so it's not surprising that it was part of that update. If you don't want to use it, You need to set your default launcher to something else. Try going to menu>settings>appa and then taping on the menu button (three dots) and selecting 'configure apps'. There yuo should see a default for home which is most likely set to Google Now.

Reactions: codesplice
Upvote 0
The Google Now launcher was introduced with Marshmallow, so it's not surprising that it was part of that update. If you don't want to use it, You need to set your default launcher to something else. Try going to menu>settings>appa and then taping on the menu button (three dots) and selecting 'configure apps'. There yuo should see a default for home which is most likely set to Google Now.

I want to use the google now launcher. The problem is that is restarts every time I open an app. It's really annoying and slows the smartphone.

ps: correcting: It began happening when I updated to Nougat, not marshmallow as I said before.

Upvote 0
Ah, well you can't (or shouldn't) close your default launcher, because that always has to say running and if you force close it, it will restart.

You can change what the home button does in Google Now settings. Obviously when you are in an app and you press home, you want it to go to home, but if yu are already there yu can have it do different things. You've probably got it set to bring up Google Now, which I think is what you're seeing.

Upvote 0
Ah, well you can't (or shouldn't) close your default launcher, because that always has to say running and if you force close it, it will restart.

You can change what the home button does in Google Now settings. Obviously when you are in an app and you press home, you want it to go to home, but if yu are already there yu can have it do different things. You've probably got it set to bring up Google Now, which I think is what you're seeing.

Yeah! I noticed that the problem was what you said earlier... the google now launcher wasn't set as default launcher on the settings...
Thanks a lot!

Upvote 0
As Android becomes more complex, some of the most obvious settings are getting overlooked or hidden deep in the menus. Back in the early days of Android (when we had to walk 10 miles in the snow to make a call ;) ) you had one or two choices. Now there are hundreds of options and it can get confusing to even the most experienced user.

Glad you got it working the way you want. :thumbsupdroid:

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones