• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My Android TV Box only has 50mbps download speed

I use my SW-X96 Android 6.0.1 TV box to stream 4k video from my windows 7 computer. I noticed something when i streamed a 80mbps 4k sample file that it lagged alot on the TV. It turns out it can't stream the file faster than 50mbps to the android device. The android device was advertised as a 100mbps device, so it should be able to stream twice as fast.

I think the problem is that the Android TV box has its ethernet configuration set to a half-duplex negotiation. So i tried configuring it using ifconfig (rooted and installed busybox); ifconfig eth0 media 100baseTX mediaopt full-duplex

But i get an error saying it doesn't know what 'media' means or something.

How can i tell my android device to use full duplex negotiation? And is that even what's causing the slow download speeds?
Thanks.

Last edited:
From what you're describing, it sounds like could be the hardware/firmware in the box itself only supports half-duplex. If it is, then there's probably not a lot can do, other than getting another box that does. Bare in mind these X96, T95, M8, MX, MXQ, etc. boxes are really cheapo no-name devices from unknown manufacturers, and so can be, good luck!

Could be worth you contacting the vendor about it, maybe he has a firmware update.

There are Android boxes that have 1GB Ethernet rather than only 100base
, which sounds like what you might need for satisfactory 4K streaming from the PC.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones