• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My apps don't detect my Chromecast

I'm able to control the volume of my Chromecast with the Google Home app but YouTube and other Chromecast apps do not show the Cast button. Google Home and YouTube are up to date. Does anyone know how to fix this?
try rebooting your device. you also might want to try and reboot your chromecast. and last resort reboot your router.

Upvote 0
Agree with what @ocnbrze posted, restart everything involved (mobile device, Chromecast, router) and see if the same problem is occurring.

If that same problem is still there however, have you gone through the initial process of pairing up your Chromecast to your home network's WiFi?
https://www.howtogeek.com/237403/how-to-setup-your-new-chromecast/
If your Chromecast isn't connected to your home network yet, it's more or less still in its setup state. It could be a matter where the Home app is connecting to your Chromecast over a temporary, direct, ad-hoc signal but until both your mobile device and your Chromecast are on the same network than your Chromecast isn't fully detectable.

Reactions: ocnbrze
Upvote 0
I did try rebooting my router and the Chromecast multiple times without any success, I forgot about restarting my phone though.

It isn't a set up mistake as it worked perfectly fine for months. I did have a similar problem a couple of months ago, and I fixed it by factory resetting the Chromecast, I did the same this time as well.

And while it works now, I wonder if there's a better solution out there (if it happens again, I should try rebooting my phone) or if this is a bug that I could report somewhere.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones