• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My Battery Guide and troubleshooting

lilonex3

Apr 29, 2011
How to troubleshoot for battery life issues:

Well I got tired of my battery dying faster than it normally was,if your like me you have TONS of apps on your phone.I tried EVERYTHING juice defender,2x battery,green battery etc.I went as far as getting droidwall thinking it was an app using the network.

well you can do all this: http://androidforums.com/connect-4g-all-things-root/610166-surefire-way-excellent-battery-life.html

which most of you likely already have.I did most of that along with trying the numerous battery saving apps i mentioned(left out a few) and my battery was STILL not lasting like it should.

I got betterbatterystats(https://play.google.com/store/apps/...sImNvbS5hc2tzdmVuLmJldHRlcmJhdHRlcnlzdGF0cyJd)
and that showed me a bit of what was going on with my phone.

that helped me notice that my phone was not entering deep sleep mode like its supposed to something was keeping it awake,sometimes you might get lucky and see the actual app.It didnt show up on mine.

so I went ahead and got:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.stericson.permissions.donate&hl=en

my issue was that one or some apps were setting a WAKE_LOCK and not releasing it after I was done using the app (bad code in app).

This is what I did so far to get my battery life back and my phone to run in a cooler state again.

1.I ran betterbatterystats and checked it after a few hours

2.used the stock battery app <=== this is what helped me see that the phone was being awake more than usual.click on it so you can see the graph and look to see if the awake and screen on bar are nearly the same.

3.If they are the almost the same thats ok but if the awake is more sporadic we have an issue.

4.Download Gsam:https://play.google.com/store/apps/...?t=W251bGwsMSwxLDMsImNvbS5nc2FtbGFicy5iYm0iXQ..

5.Download Elixir2:https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.bartat.android.elixir&feature=search_result

6.download Permissions Denied:https://play.google.com/store/apps/...NvbS5zdGVyaWNzb24ucGVybWlzc2lvbnMuZG9uYXRlIl0.

well worth the price,if not 5 finger it lol

7.let gsam run for a few hours and check under app usage,this should tell you exactly whats draining your battery.click on top where it says appsucker and view num times waking device.this will show you whats been keeping your device from going to full sleep mode.By default android is made to stay in this state as long as possible to conserve battery life,but rogue apps and unreleased wake_locks prevent this.

8.open up elixir2 >click on running>click on the four lines on top>select sort by cpu usage.This is a realtime app that will tell you what is running and hogging the cpu.Which will more than likely be the culprit for your drainage issues.

9.run permissions denied and go to the permissions tab

10.scroll down until you see the permission labeled WAKE_LOCK

11.click on it you well then see a list of the apps that use a wake lock

12.scroll down until you see the app that you found in either bbs,elixir2 and/or Gsam.

13.if you dont know whats causing it then look for the latest apps you installed and click on them to deny the wakelock permission.IF its a system app doing it you will have to lock the permissions via the menu button.THIS MAY OR MAY NOT WORK!

14.now if you know what app is causing your issue,you can check all the settings and hope you can find one that is causing it OR you can switch out the app.

15.now if you need help with it you can use betterbatterystats (bbs) to dump the log to your sd card.hit menu and dump to file.look for it on your sdcard (root of sdcard usually) and I will try my best to help figure out whats causing your drainage.

make sure you read the help me file as you can cause a bootloop if you do something wrong.Master control tab is just that it will deny ANY permission to ALL apps including system apps DO NOT USE THE MASTER CONTROL.

as always DO THIS AT YOUR OWN RISK!!!

make sure you read the help me file as you can cause a bootloop if you do something wrong.Master control tab is just that it will deny ANY permission to ALL apps including system apps DO NOT USE THE MASTER CONTROL.

my phone was running at a constant 106*f now it runs at 96*f
55w90.jpg

Thats how your graphs should look ^^^

edit: I have noticed that some of the apps that I denied a wake lock to crash so be careful.Some of the apps work just fine after denying a wake lock others dont.if your app wont work after just grant it permission again.
hit the thanks button if this helps

Switch to SlideIT keyboard. Swype has a background service that does ??? -> Profit! It was the #1 drain on my phone. I'm talking like 96%.

Also switch your Min CPU -> 192 and the governor to OnDemand. This will keep the phone running at the lowest clock when you're not doing heavy stuff.

That should do the trick.

Upvote 0
Would you be so kind, as to tell us what apps (in your case) caused the drainage? That would be nice.

I gather you have the lg connect? If so, were any of the apps preinstalled, a culprit?

Or would you rather have us download, i don't know how many apps (4), to investigate for ourselves?

I remember a few but it would vary from person to person.

1.Talk by google,it was set up to login automatically and location was on I believe.
2.gosms pro,GO chat was the culprit had location set to on and was logged on.also had notifications on to know when ppl logged into GOchat.I had to search through the settings to find that out.
3.evernote make sure you set it to either sync on wifi only OR turn off sync and do it manually.
4.?

after logging out and freezing Talk and clearing the notifications on go chat,i noticed the phone wouldnt stay on when it was supposed to be in sleep mode.Their are some apps I also uninstalled that I rarely used those could have also caused an issue.I will add other apps that i also remember had location services on and wakelocks,but those were the ones i remember off the top of my head.I know theres more though...........

Reactions: ohbaby
Upvote 0
I downloaded gsam, and will look for the apps keeping my cell phone awake. I too have noticed my phone being awake more than it should with the screen off and supposedly sleeping.

I figure if i find any, I'll just delete them. But "Talk" is one of those don't uninstall apk's.

Anyway,.....Thanks for the links and info.

Upvote 0
I downloaded gsam, and will look for the apps keeping my cell phone awake. I too have noticed my phone being awake more than it should with the screen off and supposedly sleeping.

I figure if i find any, I'll just delete them. But "Talk" is one of those don't uninstall apk's.

Anyway,.....Thanks for the links and info.

get betterbatterystats as well that way you can dump the results to a file via the menu,and post it up here.I'll see what i can do to help

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones