• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My battery is great...want to know why?

we tested it and the results were very close.

airplane mode lost 1% of battery overnight

turning it off, then on in the morning, had what i call the makayla effect, my daughter discovered this technological anomaly where if you turn something off that has a battery the battery will recharge slightly in the down time. the phone turned back on, booted up, and showed an actual 4% increase over the night befores charge level. then quickly dropped within 1% less then the night before's level after about 10 minutes.

so really, it is 6 of one, half dozen the other as far as charge savings go.

Upvote 0
airplane mode really does save battery, you lose like 1% in 8 hours.

for extended periods with no charge, turning off everything including 3g would be the best option, you will still have calls/texts.

So let me get this strait if I hold my off button, next screen pops up and touch the "mobil networks" button to shut off the "mobile networks", I will still get phone calls and text's but no internet (weather updates..etc) and this will give me a lot better battery life??

Only reason I ask is because when go up to my cottage in the woods, the 3G coverage is spotty at best (phone works fine) internet is slooooow.
So I don't use it while Im up there, so will shutting off 3G help big time because the phone won't be trying to find 3G???

thanks

Upvote 0
thanks
so tell me is 3G just for internet access/syncing with e-mail and calender and has nothing to do with phone calls and text's?

Also is there any app that puts a toggle on your screen like the wifi and airplane mode toggles to turn networks on and off?
I know its not a big deal to push the power button to turn it on and off but I was thinking that if there was a toggle on my home screen it would remind and I could see it when its on or off.

Upvote 0
With the battery in the phone and letting it run down you can not "totally" discharge it. There are protection circuits that prevent this.

If you totally discharge a lithium battery (drain it below 2 volts per cell I believe) it will damage the battery.

Is it true that totally discharging it will kill it? I've done that a couple times after reading advice on how to calibrate it.

Upvote 0
Also is there any app that puts a toggle on your screen like the wifi and airplane mode toggles to turn networks on and off?

-There are 4 HTC Widgets you can add to your screen (go HTC Widget>Settings): Airplane mode, Bluetooth, GPS, Mobile Network, and Wi-Fi. I have them all on my homescreen so you can toggle anyone of them on and off as needed.

Upvote 0
we tested it and the results were very close.

airplane mode lost 1% of battery overnight

turning it off, then on in the morning, had what i call the makayla effect, my daughter discovered this technological anomaly where if you turn something off that has a battery the battery will recharge slightly in the down time. the phone turned back on, booted up, and showed an actual 4% increase over the night befores charge level. then quickly dropped within 1% less then the night before's level after about 10 minutes.

so really, it is 6 of one, half dozen the other as far as charge savings go.

Lol?

Hmm, my phone dies in a day, in normal to heavy use. I bought a second battery - problem solved. $16. Same battery. Verizon HTC Droid Eris Genuine OEM Standard Li-Ion Polymer Battery

Full charged I get 4 hours of extreme heavy 3G + music use. (Pandora, screen off/on) Really... That's sad. The whole point of getting the phone is so I don't have to carry around an extra device and still be able to listen to music, but I guess a second battery isn't THAT bad to carry around, if I plan to do that, and there are still other battery options (look below).

Full charged about 8-10 hours of normal use for text/maps/browsing twitter/music on demand on / off. (it's pushing it).

This is the breaking point, and that's why I got a second battery, for 2 days of use. Thinking about getting the duel charing stand for another 16$.

If I turned off the mobile networking in order to save battery, it would probably last 3 days. But really google voice requires internet, and my phone needs to at least do texting, as at least my computer can do other stuff, but I wouldn't have bought the phone if that was the case. In dire need I do have the settings widgets on the my screen at all times.

There are other battery options as well (even bigger cases, attachments etc.) One of the reasons why I bought this phone, unlike the iPhone, is at least there are nicer battery options.

Look at Cell Phone iPhone 3G PDA Accessories Bluetooth Chargers Batteries USB

Cheers

Upvote 0
I have found a program called Juice Defender. It auto cuts off my data when the screen is off yet gives me data for 2 minutes every 15 or 30 minutes while the phone is sleeping. Being in Vietnam I must pay a high price for data so now everyting works. I get any email every 15 minutes and yet I am paying about 50 cents a day for Data. At the end of the day my battery is at 60% full. try it ! Juice Defender and yes its free...

Upvote 0
I have found a program called Juice Defender. It auto cuts off my data when the screen is off yet gives me data for 2 minutes every 15 or 30 minutes while the phone is sleeping. Being in Vietnam I must pay a high price for data so now everyting works. I get any email every 15 minutes and yet I am paying about 50 cents a day for Data. At the end of the day my battery is at 60% full. try it ! Juice Defender and yes its free...

i searched the app store and couldnt find it

Sent from my Eris using Tapatalk

Upvote 0
Just FYI, I think that this back button stuff is overrated. I do not use a task killer, gmail and calendar are set to autosync, seesmic is set to notify every 30 minutes. Right now the browser is sitting with the Buzz mobile page after hitting home to return home. Sometimes I hit back, but I almost always just hit home after going into various apps.

My awake time is 9%.

So does using the back button close apps? Is this documented anywhere?

Upvote 0
FWIW

Today I left Mobile network on all day. Surfed a lot, had Pandora running for a couple hours.

Up time: 15:55 hrs
Awake time: 7:23 (46%)
Battery left: 41%

I really doubt that with the standard battery. Every 1 hour of pandora running is 25% of the battery. I've tested it many times. or two different batteries.

Meaning couple hours (2) would alone bring it to 50%.

Upvote 0
FWIW

Today I left Mobile network on all day. Surfed a lot, had Pandora running for a couple hours.

Up time: 15:55 hrs
Awake time: 7:23 (46%)
Battery left: 41%

Uh, yes, I did have Pandora running for about 2 hrs.

I also had GPS running for about an hour since I needed it to get to my friend's sons' football games.

I guess congrats are in order. That is amazing. I get decent battery life, but nothing compared to this.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones