• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My battery is great...want to know why?

Having full reception bars makes a MASSIVE difference in battery life. Keep this in mind when considering battery drain. If you are in different places for work/school every day, versus a normal routine, you will have different battery life results or similar ones.

Big differences!

that makes total sence.
Thats why I'm going to start to shut off 3G when up at the camp in the woods, 3g coverage up there is spotty at best. Cell phone is fine.

Upvote 0
Having full reception bars makes a MASSIVE difference in battery life. Keep this in mind when considering battery drain. If you are in different places for work/school every day, versus a normal routine, you will have different battery life results or similar ones.

Big differences!

This is the truth. If I'm in a place with one bar or less, I will turn off the mobile network. Not because I want to, but because I have to.

It's strange because the Eris works great with 1 bar or less. It has to be a software issue that makes the phone "think" it's not getting a sufficient signal.

edit: i hope a fix comes for this.

Upvote 0
This is the truth. If I'm in a place with one bar or less, I will turn off the mobile network. Not because I want to, but because I have to.

It's strange because the Eris works great with 1 bar or less. It has to be a software issue that makes the phone "think" it's not getting a sufficient signal.

edit: i hope a fix comes for this.

So what are you saying, that thw phone will start to work harder becaue it doesn't think its getting a good sig?

Upvote 0
So what are you saying, that thw phone will start to work harder becaue it doesn't think its getting a good sig?

I don't have the knowledge to say yes or no, but from what I've read around here, it seems that this is a likely possibility.

I wish there was a way to force 1x with good signal when there is a poor 3g signal. To me, this would be more acceptable given the toll on the battery at low signal levels.

Upvote 0
yes, it is :). I charged it up Sunday night. Monday evening I still had over 60%. Monday night I did not plug it in, I tuned off 3G though. This morning the battery status still showed ~60%.

So what did I do (or what did I NOT do)?

(1) I did not do the battery discharge-recharge thingy. BTW, if you really *fully* discharge a Li-ion battery you will kill it.
(2) I did not download any task killer/manager. This is supposed to be a
smart phone to kill things when needed.
(3) I do not use the Home button at all. I always use the back button.
my awake time is about 10%
(4) I do autosync, but my WiFi, Bluetooth and GPS is off.

I admit I am not a heavy user, though I have used up about 50 Mb data in 2 days.
Peter

do you at least use your phone? lol JK!!!!

Upvote 0

Absolutely. If the signal is poor, the phone must provide more power to the radio antenna - hence, draining battery.

Anecdotal: I have a crappy signal at home. With my last phone - a Moto Q9m - I could barely get through a day with it. While visiting my parents, where there is a strong 3G signal, I could go through two full days and most of a third without charging. At my summer camp, where there is a marginal signal, I would run out of battery in about 10 to 12 hours.

Upvote 0
I, for one, found with very frequent texting and browsing and semi-frequent calling, the stock battery life to be somewhat lacking. If you are able to keep your eris plugged in to a wall outlet or usb port all day, then you should have no problem. I got myself the seidio 1750 battery, and have noticed a decent improvement from it (~30% more phone life).

But what if you don't have access to said power options? What if you forget to plug in your eris over night or find yourself sleeping in a place with no power (camping, anyone)? I am an avid hiker and like to use the Maverick App (awesome app btw. I highly recommend it!) to track myself during ~5-6 hours hikes with 3g and GPS turned on. You can imaging what that does to battery life. So, I picked up this little gem a couple of weeks ago.

Amzer 3500 mAh Battery Backup Solar Charger - 8002 - Fommy.com

It is a portable 3500 mah power pack that can be charged via wall outlet/usb/or the big 'ole solar panel that's built onto it. This thing rocks. It seems to charge my eris slightly faster than the standard wall adapter, and even takes a trickle charge from ambient lighting while I'm sitting in a college class. :D

If you want some extra life outta your eris and don't have access to power throughout the day, the 1750 and/or amzer charger is a good route to consider.

Upvote 0
I'm a heavy user. ~400 MB of data last month. I never turn GPS or Mobile Network off.

However, I switch BT and WiFi off/on when needed, and the entire day when I'm at school I'm using the campus-wide WiFi (which I get 4 bars of) vs. 3G, which I only get about 2 bars of.
I think this is my biggest battery saver, WiFi is less power-intensive than 3G, especially when you don't have exemplary 3G reception. On top of that, the Eris is smart enough to deactivate Mobile Network while you're on WiFi...no point in having redundant internet connections and wasting battery.

My awake time is 10-15%, I've seen it at 20% but only on rare occasions. Battery life isn't too bad, slightly worse than my iPhone 3G but not enough to warrant any complaints from me. Though it kinda leaves me thinking, if Seidio can stuff 1750 mAh into a same-size battery, why didn't HTC do it in the first place?

But I'd rather have the phone be as inexpensive as it is, and have the option for a higher-cap battery, than pay more up-front when you don't need it =P

Upvote 0
I don't have the knowledge to say yes or no, but from what I've read around here, it seems that this is a likely possibility.

I wish there was a way to force 1x with good signal when there is a poor 3g signal. To me, this would be more acceptable given the toll on the battery at low signal levels.
Yeah your cellphone is CONSTANTLY changing its power levels (of the transmitter) to accommodate for signal changes. If you dial ##7764726 and you go to TEST_MODE you will see the power levels changing...lets just say I get a little nervous if my phone is in my pocket in the lower level of my school as Ive checked test mode and its literally on maximum transmit power, not that my phone is going to give me RF burns but still....as for the whole forcing to 1xRTT, I did a test, 1xRTT doesn't save much battery, especially if Verizon is operating both EVDO and 1x on 850Mhz because the signal degradation will be essentially equal so long as the base station is at a close enough distance. Its like saying GPRS will save more battery than EDGE, EVDO (verizons 3G) is just a software upgrade not a seperate radio so its not as much of a battery killer as UMTS (AT&T's 3G) since UMTS is a seperate radio that uses a very wide portion of spectrum thus killing your battery if your phone is GSM and UMTS.

I think the turning of 3G was overnight. That ... makes a lot of sense. If you're not gonna be using 3G and you want to keep your battery going, why not disable it when you don't plan on using it?
See above.
So let me get this strait if I hold my off button, next screen pops up and touch the "mobil networks" button to shut off the "mobile networks", I will still get phone calls and text's but no internet (weather updates..etc) and this will give me a lot better battery life??
You can still get internet over 1xRTT....I think its fine for email pushing, weather updates, and small file downloads.
you are right, MMS downloads VIA 3G ONLY, so you will not be able to download MMS data, even if connected to WIFI.
Not correct...MMS can go over 1xRTT, always has. Ive recieved MMS's over IS-95 before (If you don't know that's like raw digital even before 1xRTT, its literally the slowest data you'll ever encounter). If you don't believe me test it, I just did to make sure.

Upvote 0
Holy S**t you guys!!!! You have a hand-held computer in your hands that makes phone calls! Its gonna suck power like a computer. If you want 2,3,4 days of battery life then get a dumb phone brick. You have a 3.7 inch video playing, internet surfing, emailing, forum checking, game playing, text messaging, facebooking, twittering, photo taking, video recording, GP'fkingS-ing, Googling, Wikipedia-ing, and oh yeah an audio playing (completely antiquating any CD changers, or auto components) device, on the best covered US provider at the best rate and getting better. I am not an advocate for any network for any means and if I had my way they would all just provide service only and hardware would be completely separate, but what did you expect from this amazing, ground breaking, history changing, device as far as battery life. I truly believe that if they can get more from the current battery technology they would and as technology progresses we will be powering our phones with dilithium cells and have months of power. For now we have lithium cells and do what we can with that.

BTW This was written after a half a bottle of 10 yr port.

Upvote 0
Holy S**t you guys!!!! You have a hand-held computer in your hands that makes phone calls! Its gonna suck power like a computer. If you want 2,3,4 days of battery life then get a dumb phone brick. You have a 3.7 inch video playing, internet surfing, emailing, forum checking, game playing, text messaging, facebooking, twittering, photo taking, video recording, GP'fkingS-ing, Googling, Wikipedia-ing, and oh yeah an audio playing (completely antiquating any CD changers, or auto components) device, on the best covered US provider at the best rate and getting better. I am not an advocate for any network for any means and if I had my way they would all just provide service only and hardware would be completely separate, but what did you expect from this amazing, ground breaking, history changing, device as far as battery life. I truly believe that if they can get more from the current battery technology they would and as technology progresses we will be powering our phones with dilithium cells and have months of power. For now we have lithium cells and do what we can with that.

BTW This was written after a half a bottle of 10 yr port.

BIG +1.....lol...well said!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones