1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General My battery issues took a turn...for the better?

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by Godfather13, Aug 11, 2011.

1. Godfather13

Godfather13 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 6, 2009
    Atlanta, GA
    This could probably be put in the "whats your battery life" thread but with my known issues I thought maybe it would get lost way down at the bottom to newbies who are just buying the phone and might not read thru all 4-5 pages.

So we last left off with me going to Sprint, getting runaround and needing to go to a corporate store for fix or exchange (still in 30 days). Ive been busy at work and just havent had the time yet. However, Ive still been playing with different things, apps, settings etc. So yesterday I did another battery pull and update prl/profile (just for sh!ts & giggles). I only have google and yahoo mail account syncd with phone (not yahoo mail app). I downloaded a few apps (facebook/twitter) but didnt sync them with the acct setting on the phone, just use them by opening the app. Im curious if MoPhos social network app that consolidates all that into one is constantly running in background? anyways...

I took phone off charger yesterday at 100%. Did a normal day of use (a few calls, texts, listened to a few songs). Low and behold by 3pm I still had good battery life. Hmm. Left work, made a 10 min call, went to gym. Came out of gym around 9pm. Still about 40% left. Hows this possible? From 9-midnight I checked twitter/facebook a few times. I decided I wasnt going to charge the phone overnight so I could see how the life looked in the morning. Woke up to 28%. WOW.

I checked under mobile networks which Ive always checked "automatic," however it was set under "Any CDMA". Not sure if this was due to be reset and update and I never changed it back to auto or if while on auto it will change the selection on its own by what its using. But either way Im quite baffled how all of a sudden I got great battery life.

I will monitor this for a few days and see if it continues to be this good or if maybe the phone was just having a good signal day and caused it to not drain the battery.

Advertisement

drexappeal likes this.
  2. clgwli

clgwli Well-Known Member
    None

May 12, 2011
    Central, Ohio
    I am hopeful that this is the start of good things for you. I've been wondering how you've been fairing with this phone. Keep us posted!

3. drexappeal

drexappeal Android Expert

Apr 8, 2010
    Male
    Entertainment Industry
    West LA, CA
    Thanks for the update! I was actually thinking about your situation, prior to seeing your thread. No worries about starting a new one. When you give us the next update, after a few days, that's when I'll merge it with your original thread and indicate update to the situation.

4. shadoboxer

shadoboxer Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2011
    I've been reading all of the posts and am happy to say that after having some serious battery issues (e.g. almost drained after 4 hours of not using the phone) I finally experienced my first 29 hour "day"! Actually I still had 20% left. Granted it wasn't a heavy use day, email, about 40 min of calls, texting and a lite internet use...but I'll take it!! I well understand that the battery will get hit during heavy use. The key for me is that it doesn't drain heavily when I'm not using the phone. A few items worth noting...

1. Get rid of the social app Widgets
    2. Set social apps to only sync over wifi, otherwise just sync when you open the app
    3. Turn down your screen brightness to @ 25%. You'll find that this is more than acceptable for the majority of the time
    4. Set the phone to sprint only roaming, unless you really need it
    5. Consider changing email from push to checking hourly. If your exepcting something important, you can manually check in between the auto checks.
    6. Finally, download and install Juice Defender! I can't say enough about this app...I'm not completely sure what exactly it does...but it does it!! I really think this is what finally turned the corner for me when it comes to battery life.

I'm coming from a 4g EVO with an extended battery = great phone that could last all day without even thinking twice. That being said I was constantly hitting up against the internal memory wall, a pain indeed. Also as I occasionally travel abroad, the SIM card doesn't hurt either. Easier than having to buy a used phone on eBay and reconfigure it to meet my needs.

Bottom line.... I'm one happy MoPho!!!!

5. Mikenk

Mikenk Member
    None

Aug 5, 2011
    Nice tips:
    - Where is the setting to change email to checking hourly?

6. shadoboxer

shadoboxer Lurker
    None

Aug 7, 2011

I should clarify that I'm not using the Gmail app and have the mail sync turned off for that. I'm using the email app and have it configured to check my Gmail accounts. Until gmail allows pinch and zoom features, its not of much use for me. Go to the settings for the email app if you wish to use it or to the main settings for battery / data.