• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My battery life really sucks

naltima

Lurker
Feb 4, 2010
So I got the Nexus one on Tuesday evening, charged it over night and used it on Wednesday. I listened to some music from 7:00-7:45 on my drive to work. Surfed the web and downloaded a few apps (7 at at most) during my two 15 minute breaks and one hour lunch, and listened to some more music on my drive home for about 25 minutes and my battery died. So total use of about two and a half hours of not so heavy use and the battery is completely dead. This is with brightness on medium setting and with a completely dark screen when listening to music.

I charged the phone again overnight and listened to music again on my way to work for about 45 minutes and the battery is at only 84%. What gives?

dont get an app killer.

try checking in the 'about phone' section what's been eating your battery. if it's all about display, try setting the brightness down a bit more - I tend to have mine on the absolute lowest setting and don't have any trouble reading when indoors. Auto-brightness doesn't work so well for me especially when holding the phone landscape as I think my finger keeps going over the light sensor, so it goes all over the place with brightness.

Cell standby is my big problem. I suggest when not using data to select 'use only 2G networks' in the network settings. Has improved my battery no end.

Upvote 0
since it's new, it might not be your battery. your phone is not use to your battery yet.

1. Charge your phone to full
2. Deplete your battery without it plugged into anything (youtube, music, etc)
3. Once it autoshuts down, turn it on again to get the phone to drain even more
4. Charge it to full without interruptions

i would recommend doing this at least 3x over the next week or two. this will prime your battery. i've done this on my mytouch3g and nexus and saw improve performance. i go through the whole day without a recharge. i have weatherbug elite, push e-mails from work/gmail, stock quotes, music, GPS running everyday.

Upvote 0
all I can say is that I also found the battery to run down with moderate use in less than a day. I've had it for a few weeks now and I can get up to 3 days out of it. Partly because the battery just seemed to get better, and partly because I turned off things like bt and 3g when I didn't need them. I can easily get a full day of v heavy use out of the battery now. Yours may well just get better on its own.

Upvote 0
since it's new, it might not be your battery. your phone is not use to your battery yet.

1. Charge your phone to full
2. Deplete your battery without it plugged into anything (youtube, music, etc)
3. Once it autoshuts down, turn it on again to get the phone to drain even more
4. Charge it to full without interruptions

i would recommend doing this at least 3x over the next week or two. this will prime your battery. i've done this on my mytouch3g and nexus and saw improve performance. i go through the whole day without a recharge. i have weatherbug elite, push e-mails from work/gmail, stock quotes, music, GPS running everyday.

Actually I would advise against multiple full discharges. As I understand it, Li Ion batteries don't like to be fully discharged/recharged. Also, say they typically have around 300 full cycles before degradation - if you plug it in at 50% and charge it all the way, that only counts as half a cycle.

the battery university website has a lot of good info but it may be more than you are willing to read.

Upvote 0
I don't think many people waited for a full charge before turning their new phone on for the first time. I turned mine on almost immediately while it was charging - don't think it harms the battery at all

Just read most of the lithium ion stuff on batteryuniversity.com and it says theres no difference if you don't charge prior to first use. In fact it mentions it a million times.

Upvote 0
dont get an app killer.

try checking in the 'about phone' section what's been eating your battery. if it's all about display, try setting the brightness down a bit more - I tend to have mine on the absolute lowest setting and don't have any trouble reading when indoors. Auto-brightness doesn't work so well for me especially when holding the phone landscape as I think my finger keeps going over the light sensor, so it goes all over the place with brightness.

Cell standby is my big problem. I suggest when not using data to select 'use only 2G networks' in the network settings. Has improved my battery no end.

why not get an app killer/manager if it's been proven that it frees up memory and helps the phone run smoother and it also helps battery life?

Upvote 0
why not get an app killer/manager if it's been proven that it frees up memory and helps the phone run smoother and it also helps battery life?

You don't need one because of the way the Android OS deals with runnings apps. If more memory is needed or if the application has been running for a long time without use, the system automatically kills the processes.

The only reason you'd need an app killer is if you have downloaded poor quality apps that don't run as expected, eating up memory or CPU cycles. They really should only be used for rogue apps, as killing everything each time you've used it will make your phone run slower as frequently used apps will have to reload everything back in to memory first.

If you have a bunch of pics in your gallery, for example, it takes a while to load them all. But when you exit out of it then reload it, it's much faster. If you kill the Gallery process and then reload, it's slow again.

Plus, some system applications/services auto-reload when killed, so you are actually making the phone do more work.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones