• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help my battery sucks

ever since i got my phone about 2 months ago, the battery has been horrible. i use advanced task killer and my task killer. i need 3g to be on at all times because i use my phone for work and i need to be logged into gtalk. can anyone help me... im also thinking about rooting to help the situation.. would that be a good choice?

First thing you need to do is get rid of those task killers. Then I would suggest checking to make sure all your apps are updated in case you have one eating up the battery. You should also turn off things when not in use (wifi / bt / gps) and turn your screen brightness down to a comfortable level.

If you check out the rooting forums you can find a step by step guide for rooting.

Upvote 0
ever since i got my phone about 2 months ago, the battery has been horrible. i use advanced task killer and my task killer. i need 3g to be on at all times because i use my phone for work and i need to be logged into gtalk. can anyone help me... im also thinking about rooting to help the situation.. would that be a good choice?

First off, "rooting" won't do a darn thing to help your battery, any more than logging into the administrator account on your computer will improve the battery life of your laptop. I'm sure you probably meant to say that once you rooted you would either flash a rom, or change settings/etc in hopes of fixing your problem. If you want peoples opinion/advice on that you'll need to be ALOT more specific about what you're planning or doing.

Secondly, and more importantly. STOP USING TASK KILLERS. Here is what's probably happening...Skype, CityID, and etc start themselves on launch. They initialize, cache themselves into RAM and go into standby. After that point, while they are "running" they are not using any CPU or network, and are thus NOT using battery. You then "kill" them using ATK. The apps that HTC/VZW have set to start on boot just restart themselves. This takes cpu, and possibly network, draining battery. If you run atk every 30 minutes, this is costing you a significant amount of battery life.

Ok, onto what you SHOULD be doing, turn down the brightness, to turn down the screen timeout. change the frequency things update (weather, stocks news, etc) and turn off updates for things you don't actually use. Use WIFI whenever possible, and turn off wifi, and bluetooth when you don't need it. You can also turn off GPS, but that is less likely to be causing drain (it only ever runs when your running a program that uses gps (Maps, nav, etc). switch to a black/dark wallpaper, and use a static wallpaper instead of live (ok, the static v. live wallpaper is generally overblown. There are alot of perfectly fine live wallpapers that don't cause battery issues [Starfield is my favorite]). Bump charge.

Install System Panel, (it's on the market). You can use that to figure out what programs, if any, might be using alot of cpu or network in the background.

Consider buying an extended battery (I use the HTC 1500 mAh I bought on ebay, i didn't want anything that would make the phone too big) but you can get a 2100 or 3500 mAh (not sure what exact size they are). Alternatively, you can buy a spare battery and an external charge and swap out batteries as needed.

Upvote 0

Before we can even begin to help, we need to know 1 important thing... what is "horrible" battery life for you? I see many people complaining their battery life is terrible when in fact it is pretty normal/standard for this phone. So we can't say what will help without knowing how you use your phone and what your battery life actually is.

And as already mentioned, the task killers are doing NOTHING to improve your battery life and are probably making it worse. Get rid of them. Android manages itself just fine, you do NOT need these things.

And FYI... keeping 3G on and having GTalk running all day will decrease your battery life and there is nothing that can be done about that. So if you need more battery time while keeping these two apps, you are going to need to upgrade from that 1300 mAh stock battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones