1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General My Battery Sucks.

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by AngryTeddyBear, Jun 21, 2012.

1. AngryTeddyBear

AngryTeddyBear Android Enthusiast
    None

Mar 20, 2011
    My battery drains so fast, I lose 13% in 9 minutes. It's crazy. I just got the phone 2 days ago and I'm loving every single thing about it, except the battery. Well if anyone has any tips please tell me. I also heard about 'conditioning' the battery. Instructions please. Lol. Oh and I was just sending texts and browsing the web a bit. I only had WiFi on.
    Well any help would be greatly appreciated!
    Thanks!

Edit: I could get a full day with my phone with everything disabled except calling and texting on standby.

Another Edit :p : Has anyone tried this battery out? It has very good ratings.
    http://www.amazon.com/dp/B0053EZJMC/ref=cm_sw_r_an_am_ap_am_us?ie=UTF8

Advertisement

2. OverByter

OverByter Resident Slide Rule Guru
    None

Dec 12, 2010
    Male
    Disabled
    CT, USA
  3. Leslie Ann

Leslie Ann Android Expert
    None

Feb 13, 2011
    I.T. Consultant
    I have the Anker, love it (my second from them), and SUPER fast shipping. I had mine next business day after I ordered.

4. thebryceee

thebryceee Android Expert
    None

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    If you don't mind the bulk, the Seidio 4000 mAh battery lasts me all day and then some under heavy use.

5. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    I was going to mention that several people here have one of those, but I see that one has already chimed in. You MIGHT want to order the $20.99 one that comes with an external batt charger...
    Amazon.com: Anker 1900mAh Li-ion Battery for HTC Sensation, Sensation XE, EVO 3D, Mytouch 4G Slide + Free Anker Multi-purpose USB Travel Charger: LaptopMate

I ordered their 3500mah one, which I received yesterday and after less than 24h of having it charged and in use I am down to 79% charge on that one. I've been leaving cell/3G on (which I generally didn't do before to save batt) plus I've used GPS & WiFi a bit, along with a few phone calls.

NOTE: The >1900mah batts all seem to be larger than the standard batt so they come with backcovers which adds to the bulk of the phone. In the 3500mah Anker case they shipped one that about doubles the thickness of the case around the batt compartment to accomodate the larger batt(visible in the product photos on amazon and elsewhere). The drawback with this is that it rules out cases(haven't seen any yet that accomodate this custom backcovers) and not sure how it'll work with other accessories like the dock and car mount, I have both coming so I'll see what happens. i.e. I may end up ordering the 1900mah Anker + charger and swap between that and OEM batt if I have to(then I can get the otterbox defender too... see below)

The 1900mah fits with the stock backcover.

AngryTeddyBear likes this.
  6. rubejb

rubejb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    I'm wondering if maybe you got a bad battery. I've noticed a HUGE improvement in battery life over my Motorola Triumph. Like I could let it go for a day or two without charging with moderate use (although I still charge it daily because I can't help it :) ).

Perhaps you should try and get a replacement battery from Virgin?

7. AngryTeddyBear

None

Mar 20, 2011

How is the battery working for you?
    Can it handle heavy usage?
    Sorry, I'm curious. :p

8. AngryTeddyBear

None

Mar 20, 2011

Do replacement batterys cost at all?

9. swerver32

swerver32 Android Enthusiast
    None

Nov 29, 2011
    Seattle
    Anyone know how long a battery, say the stock one like this, will hold a charge without being used? For instance, if you charged it up and just left it in the car or something, then tried to use it 6 months later, will it be dead?

10. rubejb

rubejb Android Enthusiast
    None

Jul 21, 2010
    Well the phones only been out for what, a month? If the battery isn't holding a charge then it's defective and should be replaced for free.

You may need to try a number of things if you call the support line, like restoring the phone to factory state, and whatever other troubleshooting steps they put you through. But there's no way you should have to spend anything to get the issue resolved.

Batteries are generally considered consumable items in electronics, so after a while it would not be covered by any warranties. But after just a few weeks you should get a free replacement.

11. Leslie Ann

None

Feb 13, 2011
    I.T. Consultant
    There are docks and car holders that work with cases and extended batteries, at least some covers and batteries. Easiest way to spot them is they have a slide in shim to hold normal phones.

Here is a Seidio dock that supports cases and extended batteries.
    Amazon.com: Seidio Desktop Cradle Kit for use with HTC EVO 3D: Cell Phones & Accessories

Car version
    http://www.ebay.com/itm/SEIDIO-INNO...470574?pt=PDA_Accessories&hash=item5d33c4712e

See the shim.
    [​IMG]

12. Leslie Ann

None

Feb 13, 2011
    I.T. Consultant
    It's only about a 10-20% increase in capacity and I didn't use the stock one for long. It made a BIG difference on my last phone though.

If you need a LOT of juice, get a double battery. If you just need a bit extra to get through the day, these are great, especially since you can still carry the stock battery as a backup in a purse, wallet or bag. I carry mine in my equipment bag.

13. Essjay22

Essjay22 Member
    None

Jun 1, 2012
    Toothfaerie
    49th parallel
    something else to consider is using an app like Juice Defender. On my LG OV the battery wouldnt make it through the day so i looked into JD, tried the free vs and it was soo good I sprung for the full and I haven't looked back since. I ran my Evo V for a day just to see how it did and it was just as abysmal as the rest of you are finding out but again with JD i can go 3 days with light use and 2 heavy.
    I have no vested interesti in JD either:p

Well worth the money as swapping batteries with the Ballistic HC is a royal PITA and this phone is big enough as it is :rolleyes:
    srysly
    s

14. Kahroo

Kahroo Android Expert
    None

Jun 13, 2012
    NJ
    Weid. Yeah I had mine off the charger just sitting there for 8 hours 54 mins with brightness on 12% and it's on 83% Haven't really done much with it. Left it alone and made like two five minute calls. (Using Stock rom and this Battery Mod [MOD]Battery Mods! (Updated 5-5-12 for ICS Leak) - xda-developers)

I mean yesterday I was watching some YouTube/Netfilx on it and I got awesome battery life. WAAAAY better then my OV. IDK if there is something wrong with the battery or this phone is just that badass

15. raysurrx7

raysurrx7 Member
    None

May 19, 2011
  16. cutterjohn

cutterjohn Android Enthusiast
    None

Apr 29, 2011
    When my MT stopped charging their first "fix" was to send a new batt... that's it, no charge batt just showed up in the mailbox, didn't want old back, etc.

So just call tech support and tell them that your batt is not holding proper charge levels and/or your phone is not charging it properly and they'll probably opt to send you another OEM batt first(pretty cheap as I'm sure that the true cost of the batts are a few dollars max, not the egregious markup that you pay in the store and I'm sure that the online batts while MUCH cheaper also carry heavy markups just like cables pennies to make although I'm sure that batts are a trifle more expensive to mfg...) v. an entire phone replacement although I'm sure that they just "refurb" and recycle them as replacements to others after "testing" unless they actually do the right thing and return to HTC who again may or may not "test"/"repair".

17. thebryceee

None

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    Using the Seidio 4000 mAh extended battery, with heavy usage (4G on once in a while).

At 50%
    [​IMG]

18. wigginst

wigginst Android Expert
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    The screen eats these batteries alive. I leave my brightness all the way down unless I really need to and on wifi, lots of things syncing, pretty heavy usage I can get 12-14 hours out of it. If I leave the brightness up it goes much faster than that.

19. thebryceee

None

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    What battery do you have?

20. wigginst

wigginst Android Expert
    None

Aug 12, 2011
    I am using the stock battery that came with the phone. Maybe I got lucky?

21. thebryceee

None

Feb 28, 2012
    Male
    All depends on how you use it. I'm an extremely heavy user. I get a lot of down time at my work and pass the time by using my phone.

Tags: