• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My Best Battery Life Ever! How About You?

Aug 14, 2011
I just had to post this because I have never gotten battery life anywhere near this good with any other rom/kernel combination. I think this is a tweaked version of Kang's CM 7.2. I've been using it for about two weeks now with Tiamat 4.1 sbc kernel on the smartassV2 setting.

This is from light to moderate use (mostly web browsing, texts, and phone calls) and only 3 widgets on my home screens.

Has anyone else achieved this kind of battery life? If so, please share your experience.

And of course, this is just my experience with this combo, yours may vary. :)

If interested, you can get it here: (He just released an update on 3/14/12)
New CM7 Nightly KANG EVO - xda-developers

and the most updated (unofficial) Google Apps here:
gapps-gb-20111216-signed.zip

screenshot-1331796551131.png

screenshot-1331796509723.png

Hi there!! That's pretty incredible! But I have to ask...

Are you charging while the phone is on...overnight or at any time?? If so, your "4 days 0 hours...." tally will go on forever and won't reset...4 days, 5 days, etc...

Also, what is weird to me with the screenshot of information is that there is NO battery percentage attributable to the "Display" which, in my experience, MUST be shown. As the screenshot indicates now, it suggest that your display was NEVER ON...as if you basically NEVER used you phone....that your phone was on "Standby" for 33% of 4 days (day and a third), phone was "Idle" for 33% of 4 days and you were connected to "Wifi" for 33% of 4 days.

That info really suggests that you just have NOT used you phone in 4 days!! :eek:,,,,???:thinking:

Upvote 0
As the screenshot indicates now, it suggest that your display was NEVER ON...as if you basically NEVER used you phone....that your phone was on "Standby" for 33% of 4 days (day and a third), phone was "Idle" for 33% of 4 days and you were connected to "Wifi" for 33% of 4 days.

That info really suggests that you just have NOT used you phone in 4 days!! :eek:,,,,???:thinking:

the OP did not use the phone at all, basically. this way of measuring "battery life" is a bit absurd to me. battery life when the device is sleeping is akin to standby time for me. how the phone handles regular, daily usage with apps open and the cellular radios being taxed and emails syncing and GPS doing some legwork...that's where battery life should be measured, not by just the phone being on, but the screen being off and nothing being used at all.

with a strong 3G signal in DC, my phone drops about 1% every 2 hours when the screen is off, but it's still syncing a Gmail account, weather, etc.

Upvote 0
There's the skepticism I was expecting. :) J/k, but seriously ...

Hi there!! That's pretty incredible! But I have to ask...

Are you charging while the phone is on...overnight or at any time?? If so, your "4 days 0 hours...." tally will go on forever.

I charged my phone just after making the post, right before I flashed the latest update to this rom. I used a wall charger and immediately after pulling the plug the battery status was reset and then reset again after unplugging from my laptop after transferring the rom update to my phone.

And yes, I do generally charge my phone overnight when it gets low, but that's usually toward the end of day 2.

Below is my status after my most recent recharge.

screenshot-1331819408248.png

screenshot-1331819430691.png

Also, what is weird to me with the screenshot of information is that there is now battery percentage attributable to the "Display" which, in my experience, MUST be shown. As the screenshot indicates now, it suggest that your display was NEVER ON...as if you basically NEVER used you phone....that your phone was on "Standby" for 33% of 4 days, phone was "Idle" for 33% of 4 days and you were connected to "Wifi" for 33% of 4 days.

I use my phone on a daily basis. I browse websites at least 4 or 5 times a day so the screen stays on between 10-45 minutes at a time -- depending on what I'm doing. I check my voice mails and make and receive phone calls; so I can assure you I use my phone. Also my wi-fi sleep policy is set to never and I use wi-fi most of the time.

That info really suggests that you just have NOT used you phone in 4 day!! :eek:,,,,???:thinking:

I do agree the information in the screenshot is confusing. I thought my phone locked up or something but I figured since the battery level was slowly dropping and was reflected by the battery use status that that wasn't the case.

The cell standby, wi-fi, and phone idle percentages baffle me as well.

So basically, I'm just as confused about this as you are, scudder, but I plan to do more testing to see if it was just a fluke because I don't think this is typical of most roms or kernels -- stock or custom.

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
the OP did not use the phone at all, basically. this way of measuring "battery life" is a bit absurd to me. battery life when the device is sleeping is akin to standby time for me. how the phone handles regular, daily usage with apps open and the cellular radios being taxed and emails syncing and GPS doing some legwork...that's where battery life should be measured, not by just the phone being on, but the screen being off and nothing being used at all.

with a strong 3G signal in DC, my phone drops about 1% every 2 hours when the screen is off, but it's still syncing a Gmail account, weather, etc.

I can see why you think this kind of testing is absurd. Although, I did not put my phone through extensive battery testing, my main thing was comparing battery life with different rom/kernel combinations in my normal daily use.

When one rom/kernel combo kills the battery while hardly being in use in less than 12 hrs compared to a combo where the battery barely drops below 50% after almost 36 hrs of light to moderate use, I can't help but be impressed.

And I know for a fact, if I were to test the battery life the way you described, there is no way I would get even close to 4 days of battery life out of it.

Upvote 0
There's the skepticism I was expecting. :) J/k, but seriously ...

[cut out some stuff]

I do agree the information in the screenshot is confusing. I thought my phone locked up or something but I figured since the battery level was slowly dropping and was reflected by the battery use status that that wasn't the case.

The cell standby, wi-fi, and phone idle percentages baffle me as well.

So basically, I'm just as confused about this as you are, scudder, but I plan to do more testing to see if it was just a fluke because I don't think this is typical of most roms or kernels -- stock or custom.

I'm glad you took the skepticism like you did with the j/k and the fact that you're "just as confused" with the stats in the screenshot as we are!!:D

It's just that there have been many posts where people throw a screenshot up there claiming days of battery life when that are never turning off their phone and plug it in. In that case, the "days and hours" keep counting and counting. My father-in-law has an EVO as well an I once asked him to check his battery stats to compare to a couple tweaks I was doing on my phone. Without batting an eye, he tells me "14 days and a few hours."

Listen hear Dad!!...AIN'T NO WAY you got FOURTEEN DAYS out of your battery!!! :eek::eek::D:D;)

Anyway, you mentioned plugging into your wall charger so I still have the question: do you shut off your phone when charging??

Believe me...I'm alllllllll for getting some suggestion for better battery life!! Personally, my EVO has had a bad data/charge port and I haven't been able to charge my phone plugged in in OVER A YEAR!! :eek::eek: I have two Galilio 2000maH batteries that I have to charge OUT of my phone in a wall charger and swap out as needed. My personal best battery life (running MikG ROM and stock kernal) is about 34 hours under my "normal use." There are soooooo many variables though that I don't get that consistently. The next day in the same location and same usage I could get something like "only" 16 hours on the same battery, same phone, same us. I typically get about 18-20 before having to swap batteries.

Upvote 0
I too find it strange that theres no display, ect. And on your 2nd pic theres a big drop off at the end which I'm contributing to your 3% display time

My best is 2011-12-15_08-17-32.jpg Using Tommy's classic and Aggressive Freedom Universal back in December (stock battery).

Having the phone on WIFI can save a lot of battery.

Upvote 0
I too find it strange that theres no display, ect.

My best is View attachment 29295 Using Tommy's classic and Aggressive Freedom Universal back in December.

Having the phone on WIFI can save a lot of battery.

Wow, 3+ days...that is impressive too...even if you stuck it on the charger overnight one time!! ;);):D:D:D

Kidding...:D

Upvote 0
Here's a semi on-topic question for everyone....

I had "good" battery for me 18-20 hours...ish...with my MikG 2.56 ROM and stock kernal. I then switched to MikG 3.11 and have had some problem (as you are aware there Rxpert83).

The OP speaks of a specific combo of CM and Tiamat kernal....was wondering if anyone has had experience with MikG and Tiamat??

Upvote 0
I'm glad you took the skepticism like you did with the j/k and the fact that you're "just as confused" with the stats in the screenshot as we are!!:D

It's cool. :D

It's just that there have been many posts where people throw a screenshot up there claiming days of battery life when that are never turning off their phone and plug it in. In that case, the "days and hours" keep counting and counting. My father-in-law has an EVO as well an I once asked him to check his battery stats to compare to a couple tweaks I was doing on my phone. Without batting an eye, he tells me "14 days and a few hours.

Listen hear Dad!!...AIN'T NO WAY you got FOURTEEN DAYS out of your battery!!! :eek::eek::D:D;)

That's funny stuff.

Anyway, you mentioned plugging into your wall charger so I still have the question: do you shut off your phone when charging??

No, I never turn it off.

Reactions: scudder
Upvote 0
Here's a semi on-topic question for everyone....

I had "good" battery for me 18-20 hours...ish...with my MikG 2.56 ROM and stock kernal. I then switched to MikG 3.11 and have had some problem (as you are aware there Rxpert83).

The OP speaks of a specific combo of CM and Tiamat kernal....was wondering if anyone has had experience with MikG and Tiamat??
Tiamat is an AOSP kernel, not a Sense kernel, and as such cannot be used with MikG (a Sense ROM) without causing issues (i.e. stuff won't work).

Upvote 0
Then that would likely explain your "4 days..." tally on that screenshot. I don't know how else to otherwise "reset" that tally other than to, I think, either shut the phone off or, I know for certain, to pull the battery...

That stat gets reset everytime the charge reaches 100%. Shutting the phone off shouldnt affect it.

Wiping battery stats in recovery or through battery calibration apps also resets it

Upvote 0
Tiamat is an AOSP kernel, not a Sense kernel, and as such cannot be used with MikG (a Sense ROM) without causing issues (i.e. stuff won't work).

Oh...didn't realize :rolleyes: And OF COURSE it is...I mean, with the MikG reboots I'm dealing with, why would I be able to run a kick-ass kernal too!:thinking::(;)

Hey, perhaps running an AOSP kernal with my MikG will fix my problems!!?? I bet no one has thought of THAT yet!!;);):D

Upvote 0
Oh...didn't realize :rolleyes: And OF COURSE it is...I mean, with the MikG reboots I'm dealing with, why would I be able to run a kick-ass kernal too!:thinking::(;)

Hey, perhaps running an AOSP kernal with my MikG will fix my problems!!?? I bet no one has thought of THAT yet!!;);):D

So you're over here complaining about your reboots too?!!?! :p

Just FYI, you cannot run any AOSP kernel with MikG. As far as the Evo goes, there are AOSP ROMs and you can only use AOSP kernels with them. Then there are Sense ROMs and you can only use Sense kernels with them. With MikG you should be able to use either the stock kernel, or use freedom, chopsuey, lionfish (which is built from freedom), or anthrax. There might be more?

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones