• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My Bricked Fascinate...

theicemonkey

Dec 17, 2009
Well, I'm an idiot.

I tried to take the playlogos1 file from a system dump and copy it to my /system/bin directory to get my boot animation back after root and, sure enough, I got the boot animation back. Problem is, I didn't think it through (that the edited playlogos1 file pointed to the rest of the modified boot sequence) and then the phone wouldn't boot. It would just loop the animations.

I booted into recovery, did a factory reset, and now I can get to the lockscreen and the very beginning of setup but TWLauncher force closes over and over and over and I'm unable to do anything except pull down the notification bar occasionally. I think this is because I moved some things (like bing, daily briefing, etc.) that TWLauncher wants at the outset, and it doesn't have them. I tried to bluetooth over LauncherPro and run it, but it fails at the last moment.

Does anyone know of a way to get to ADB Shell so that I can fix my mistake, keeping in mind I can only get into recovery or pull the notification bar? Or if someone had an update.zip I could flash to get back to REAL factory (with all of the system files in place), that would be super! Otherwise, it looks like I'm effed and will need to come up with a good story to tell Verizon...

Oh man, that sucks. :(

Hopefully we'll get a way to restore to stock really soon. At least the VZW rep will have no idea what's going on since the boot animation will look perfectly normal. You probably wouldn't even need a story. You could just say you woke up one morning and it was boot-looping. Whatever you conscience feels is right. ;)

Upvote 0
Thanks for the kind words, both of you!

I got it replaced today. It'll probably get re-flashed at Verizon and resold. It was in perfect shape, so it was no trouble; they didn't hesitate to replace it immediately.

I still feel like an idiot though. I never should have messed with the boot files until I had a Nandroid backup.

Upvote 0
Thanks for the kind words, both of you!

I got it replaced today. It'll probably get re-flashed at Verizon and resold. It was in perfect shape, so it was no trouble; they didn't hesitate to replace it immediately.

I still feel like an idiot though. I never should have messed with the boot files until I had a Nandroid backup.

Please keep in mind there is yet NO NANDROID yet (for emphasis, not because I'm trying to "yell" but I thought Nandroid was a native Android option) until ClockworkMod puts one yet.

Hit up Koush on Twitter (@ClockworkMod) and give him some encouragement, then make a request. Dude is prolific and has done so much for the community.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones