• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My brother wants 2.1 too... should I root his Eris?

vr6dubbin

Dec 10, 2009
I have a Droid, which I just rooted and run 2.1 on currently. He is extremely jealous of this now and wants 2.1 asap. He isn't a huge phone geeky guy like I am though. When it comes to troubleshooting he gets pretty lost (thats what happens when you *casually* use a Mac for so many years :D). He said he only wants me to do it if I am 100% postive that it will work with no errors. He wants me to just do it and never have to worry about it again. Which I think is unlikely. I know rooting the Eris is different from rooting the Droid, so should I go ahead and start looking into this? Or just tell him to wait?

Would it be worth it for him to take the risk? My thing is, i'm sure he will be 100% happy with the OTA... but who knows when that is coming.

It won't be a big deal. Better to Root than not to Root.

My thoughts exactly. If he's the type that's going to screw something up, I'd rather have the capabilities to use the root access to troubleshoot and fix any issues that come up.

And... There is much more you can do w/ a rooted phone. If I was a tech dummy, I asked a buddy to set my phone up, and then I find something cool that I want only to have that buddy tell me I can't have it because he didn't root my phone, I'd be peeved. Luckily, I'm not a tech dummy, only a novice... ;)

Root it!!

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones