• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My buddy got a Samung Reality and texted me to brag

AndroidSPCS

Android Expert
Nov 12, 2009
USA
I've been trying to convince my friend to go Android, telling him that it's really great.

He had been on the fence, since he had a flip phone with T9 and he hates it for SMS.

I told him to get an Android phone, and to compare Sprint and Verizon, and seriously think about switching to Sprint since we live in the same city and I have great coverage and service, for less money than Verizon.

He texts me today telling him he got the Samsung Reality, with a 2 year contract on Verizon.

I was like "really? what are you paying monthly?"

He tells me $70 / month, 450 min, text / web. I asked him why he didn't go with the Sprint ED plan for $70, with unlimited mobile to ANY mobile, unlimited free calls after 7pm, free GPS / Sprint TV and all other premium featuers for free, and FULL upgrade on all phones every 12 months... He replies "I'm sticking with Verzion, deal with it!"

I was like "LOL, hey feel free to waste your money, I really just wanted to help you get the most for your money..."

I don't get it. Why would people get a shitty phone, and a more expensive service with less benefits... :thinking::thinking:

What if he does not use that many mins and he is happy with Verizon. Where you can also upgrade every 12 months. I dont see how he is wasting his money at all.. And if he is happy with his phone why do you care? I have friends who still swear by the LG chocolate....

Upvote 0
I've been trying to convince my friend to go Android, telling him that it's really great.

He had been on the fence, since he had a flip phone with T9 and he hates it for SMS.

I told him to get an Android phone, and to compare Sprint and Verizon, and seriously think about switching to Sprint since we live in the same city and I have great coverage and service, for less money than Verizon.

He texts me today telling him he got the Samsung Reality, with a 2 year contract on Verizon.

I was like "really? what are you paying monthly?"

He tells me $70 / month, 450 min, text / web. I asked him why he didn't go with the Sprint ED plan for $70, with unlimited mobile to ANY mobile, unlimited free calls after 7pm, free GPS / Sprint TV and all other premium featuers for free, and FULL upgrade on all phones every 12 months... He replies "I'm sticking with Verzion, deal with it!"

I was like "LOL, hey feel free to waste your money, I really just wanted to help you get the most for your money..."

I don't get it. Why would people get a shitty phone, and a more expensive service with less benefits... :thinking::thinking:

For some people saving 20 bucks a month is not worth horrible customer service, an inferior coverage map, and poor selection of phones.

Upvote 0
People typically go with what works for them. I have friends on every carrier and most of them swear by the carrier they are on. The same with the model phone they have. Half my family is on At&t, but I get better service with Verizon. Since it doesn't help or hurt me I let them go with what works for them.

Some chose a wireless company for the price of service, some because they want a specific phone, some for the call quality and others because they want better customer service. People stay for many of the same reasons along with the fact the loyalty can earn other rewards. No matter the reason it is a personal choice and if it doesn't affect you directly then it shouldn't really matter.

Reactions: Intervenient
Upvote 0
well i think we'll have to agree to disagree on the whole isheep, etc. deal but i'll side with ya on one thing, the fact that it shouldnt be one or the other. They are both great OS's and both have a lot of offer. I'm not sure why people think it's like being a bengals and a steelers fan at the same time hahaha

I just think it's silly that we get so worked up over phone OSs (I'll admit, I have/do too). Why can't we all just hold hands and skip into the sunset?

Upvote 0
For some people saving 20 bucks a month is not worth horrible customer service, an inferior coverage map, and poor selection of phones.
I would agree with you in a heartbeat if that was actually true.

Fact is I left Verizon many years ago because of bad customer service. I moved from Chicago to California, and tried to go into a Verizon store to get my phone / account serviced. The answer I got was "your account belongs to the Illinois Verizon, not our region." I was like WTF? That along with some other frustrations made me switch to T-mobile and Sprint, both of which I have had pretty much zero issues with.

And Sprint offers a 30 day money back period where you can try out Sprint, and if coverage does indeed suck, then you're justified to not use it.

Most people refuse to step out and try something that is just as good, if not better, because they keep believing and then repeating the crap that is repeated about Sprint.

$20 per month over 2 years is $240, that is quite a bit of money, especially if you may go over on minutes, pay Verizon for GPS use, or other use that is free on Sprint. Not to mention Sprint users can roam on Verizon for free if needed.

Reactions: IOWA
Upvote 0
I would agree with you in a heartbeat if that was actually true.

Fact is I left Verizon many years ago because of bad customer service. I moved from Chicago to California, and tried to go into a Verizon store to get my phone / account serviced. The answer I got was "your account belongs to the Illinois Verizon, not our region." I was like WTF? That along with some other frustrations made me switch to T-mobile and Sprint, both of which I have had pretty much zero issues with.

And Sprint offers a 30 day money back period where you can try out Sprint, and if coverage does indeed suck, then you're justified to not use it.

Most people refuse to step out and try something that is just as good, if not better, because they keep believing and then repeating the crap that is repeated about Sprint.

$20 per month over 2 years is $240, that is quite a bit of money, especially if you may go over on minutes, pay Verizon for GPS use, or other use that is free on Sprint. Not to mention Sprint users can roam on Verizon for free if needed.
GPS is free on verizon on android and bb phones as long as you have data. And customer service is all about your experiences and word of mouth. I have personally had incredible customer service with verizon and maybe your friend has too. Why would someone change because you say you had a bad experience? On the other hand maybe you have had great customer services with sprint, but many others have not.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones