• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My camera is on?

While writing a post to Google plus I noticed my camera was on. I did a screen capture and posted it to g+ asking why. I don't expect them to trip all over themselves trying to answer.

This seems to me to be somewhat suspect. You can clearly see what I was pointing the phone at as I did the screen capture. Pan left and it panned left. Pan right and it panned right.

Maybe someone in this forum can explain why they feel the need to turn the camera on when I write a post.

I am assuming that had I had the camera setting facing me, I would have been able to watch myself writing the post.

Am I the only one who feels this to be somewhat suspect.

I am not always sitting in my car when I write a post.

I tried to show you the screen capture but apparently I did it wrong.

(I had to edit my original post because my illiteracy was showing.) I still cannot think of the actual word I want. Ah! Intrusive is the word. How do I know that they are not watching, when they are the ones who have turned the camera on?

My nexus 7 only has a camera on the screen side and there I was.

I did nothing that even suggested that I might want the camera on. Not on the phone, not on the Nexus 7. Yet, it is on when I write a post. Does anyone know why?

Attachments

• 1402618202453.jpg
    1402618202453.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 124
That tile is there to show you a preview of what's currently in the camera's view, in case you want to quickly snap a picture to share on Google+. It doesn't record anything unless you tap on the tile, select whether you want to take a photo or record a video, and THEN tap the appropriate action to capture the image or video. And that won't be shared unless and until you hit the Share button in Google+.

It's a convenience, a nicety, and absolutely nothing to be concerned about. :)

Fun fact: Cyanogenmod includes an option to show a live camera preview as a tile in the Quick Settings pull-down. It's apparently quite a popular option.

Reactions: jajrussel
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones