• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Contact, but says Suspected Spam

ocnbrze

DON'T PANIC!!!!!!!!!
  • May 13, 2010
    Los Angeles
    so one of my co-workers, when they call me, it now says suspected spam. or when i call him, my contact has the right name, but on the dial up screen it says suspected spam. i do not see any way to get rid of this. it has become an issue when he calls me, as i do not pickup due it saying that the call is spam. texting is fine, but not calling.

any ideas? call my carrier?

I was close in my guesswork!

Screenshot_20230110-212014.png

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    Just to be sure, you don't have any kind of spam filtering app on your phone nor signed up with some kind of spam filtering online service, yes?
    I don't know of there is a long-press contextual option to remove a spam labeled number in a phone app. That typically results in the number being blocked but since the OP is still receiving incoming calls from that number it's not being blocked.

I would think the only way to get an otherwise normal number removed from a carrier's spam list is to contact them directly.

Upvote 0
    Just to be sure, you don't have any kind of spam filtering app on your phone nor signed up with some kind of spam filtering online service, yes?
    I don't know of there is a long-press contextual option to remove a spam labeled number in a phone app. That typically results in the number being blocked but since the OP is still receiving incoming calls from that number it's not being blocked.

I would think the only way to get an otherwise normal number removed from a carrier's spam list is to contact them directly.
    I have youmail as my call filter app, but I don't think that's the cause. I can see his name and number.

Upvote 0
    This is my take on suspected spam calls :
    If that number is being spoofed, and it's been reported as spam in the databases (Google, Trucaller, Youmail, cellular carriers), I guess you would need to confirm the call as not spam in your call history.
    Hopefully that fixes the issue.
    Spammers are spoofing valid numbers and this type of crap is just getting worse...

Reactions: ocnbrze
    Upvote 0
    This is my take on suspected spam calls :
    If that number is being spoofed, and it's been reported as spam in the databases (Google, Trucaller, Youmail, cellular carriers), I guess you would need to confirm the call as not spam in your call history.
    Hopefully that fixes the issue.
    Spammers are spoofing valid numbers and this type of crap is just getting worse...
    that's the thing in my call history its correct. i see his name. it is only in the popup that i see this.

Upvote 0
    My mom's number has this very same problem (I even made a thread about it). It's only happening to me if I set up a new phone and haven't yet added her as a contact. It's something on the carrier end called "Caller Name ID/Carrier ID" and the numbers can get added for 'abuse' such as many phone calls to specific numbers in a single day. Since my mother does indeed make many calls to family/friends daily, her number got flagged for abuse and the carrier can't do anything since the flag only resets after 90 days (source:AT&T) and they cannot override it. It's stupid, and many have hung up on her over it. I always subscribe to 'if I don't recognize the number, I don't answer' so this is yet another form of idiot proofing taking control away from everyone. Yet another stupid solution in search of a problem.

Upvote 0
    I think just the opposite, it's not 'Yet another solution in search of a problem' but rather spam phone calling is very much an actual problem. Now that carriers are finally starting to take active steps to actually reduce spam calling this is just one more benefit to all of us.

It is a shame that your Mom got caught up that kind of messy situation but this kind of counter-measure is based on restricting one of the most common indicators of what a spammer does.

Upvote 0
    I know spam calling is an issue. It's been an issue since the days of five digit phone numbers. The fact is, we know how to deal with them. If I don't recognize the number, I don't answer. Otherwise, the number gets added since it's been confirmed 'active' to the spammer. I also don't give my real phone number out to anyone I don't explicitly trust. This is all common sense.

So there's only one reason to further complicate this and it seems to protect those who lack proper common sense. I know a number is spam when I don't recognize it. I don't need some AI telling me that a number is spam when in my case it ends up being 90% legit. It's the same gripe about my email app. I keep having to move legit emails from 'junk' even though I turned off junk mail filtering off at both the server end as well as the email client itself, but it keeps happening. I am forced to 'just deal' because some nimrod somewhere couldn't exercise their brain and know how to properly deal with spam so we all suffer from the actions of an idiot.

It's no different from a school punishing the entire class because one student messed up. I guess I am just getting sick of our ability to educate ourselves being offloaded to a cloud or to an AI bot somewhere. The amount of times folks 'Google' how to do something is getting too pervasive. I learned how to do stuff by RTFM and I retain knowledge. But many don't retain what they learn from Google and become dependent on the internet and their phone to do everything we used to learn from our elders or from our schools. Why even bother getting a degree when you can just Google everything or Wikipedia everything? It's gonna be fun when the EMP ultimately knocks our technological infrastructure down! I saw the precursor to it in our 2009 Ice Storm. We lost power for a month, and even stores couldn't open because they relied so heavily on their internet-connected cash registers that none were capable of the basic arithmetic needed to make basic change!

Upvote 0
    It's no different from a school punishing the entire class because one student messed up.....

Another interpretation is a converse one, it's something that unfortunately penalizes one student while being a benefit to the rest of the class.
    No question your Mom's situation isn't fair but her usage is unlike most consumers. In this case she's paying a price she shouldn't have to because her carrier apparently isn't able to rescind putting her number in the spam listing. You would think there should be some kind of administrative over-ride for mistakes and false positives.

Upvote 0
    Another interpretation is a converse one, it's something that unfortunately penalizes one student while being a benefit to the rest of the class.
    No question your Mom's situation isn't fair but her usage is unlike most consumers. In this case she's paying a price she shouldn't have to because her carrier apparently isn't able to rescind putting her number in the spam listing. You would think there should be some kind of administrative over-ride for mistakes and false positives.

To be fair, dealing with AT&T's customer 'support' is akin to debating a Christian about science. You'd have better luck banging your head against the wall.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones