1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

my dad is now sold on Android

Discussion in 'Android Lounge' started by ari-free, Aug 30, 2011.

1. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

My father is a complete computer novice. I don't think he even knows how to use a mouse. But we decided to both get the mytouch 4g slide with Android and that would be his first computer.

Observations:
    -touching the screen was very hard for his big fingers. He originally thought that a keyboard would not be 'the latest thing' but now he really appreciates the keyboard since he makes fewer mistakes with it. The trackpad also helps because he can use it to land on a button precisely instead of clicking on something else by mistake.

- list view for apps is much easier than a grid. It's just like going through the contact list and much less likely to hit the wrong app by mistake.

- he really likes that translate feature with voice recognition. He works with chinese and spanish workers in a restaurant so this tech is very useful for him.

- Mom's turn to be impressed. I used google goggles to correctly identify a painting on the wall. Turned out that Mom herself didn't know, tried to look it up just last week and didn't get anywhere.

Dad showed the phone to one of his friends, a regular at the restaurant. Now he wants one too!

1. Download the Forums for Android™ app!

Download

2. danaj

danaj Android Enthusiast

My boyfriend and I each just got the MT4GS...and it is awesome! congrats, I am glad you dad likes it...now to get it rooted, which there is instructions for on the xda forums.

3. indybail

indybail Well-Known Member

Thanks for the review. This one is on my shortlist for a new phone and I have been looking for some user feedback.

4. cds0699

cds0699 Android Expert

Glad to hear your dad is enjoying his new device and finding it useful :)

5. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

his first computer... is way more powerful than my first computer...

AT/XT at 10mhz (turbo to 12mhz).. no HD.. just two Floppy drives.. 128k bytes of memory. 12inch monochrome monitor.

6. Roze

Roze Hiding behind a mystery

Great to hear that your dad is rocking and lovin' Android, Ari :D

Dan, you are showing your age there :p haha

dan330 likes this.
  7. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

my first computer was a commodore 64 :)

8. danaj

danaj Android Enthusiast

Mine too :)

9. xmr405o

xmr405o Android Expert

ummm what's are these so called floppy drives you speak of?!?! :p

10. dan330

dan330 Extreme Android User

how about programing with cards punches!!!!! i was just lucky enough to miss that!

11. Dragoro

Dragoro Android Enthusiast

Mine was an apple II e

12. ari-free

ari-free Android Expert

another point: I really like the combination of trackpad and keyboard. Some people like arrow keys but the trackpad means you can 'mouse' around the screen without having to pull out the keyboard all the time. for example, I have a website loaded (such as this one) and I can work my way around all the tiny links without having to zoom in and out or look for special web apps.

update: looks like everyone who works in that restaurant now wants Google Translate. :)