• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Help My "data network mode" is not working....HELP!

infusehelp

Jul 21, 2011
It says data mode is activated but the symbol doesn't show up at the top of the screen and the internet is not working. I have been trying out battery savers and etc and i think it messed it up. Now my data thing is messed up. It won't show up on my screen....maybe i hit something and didn't notice....i don't know! Please help! :eek::eek::eek:

ETA: I had "Juice Defender" on my phone and now it's all messed up....:rolleyes:

Hi Maztor, I have the same problem (I hate that battery saver!!) and I finally found a way to restore my 4G data connection WITHOUT resetting the whole phone!!
if you go to Setting, then Mobile networks, then choose Access Point Names.
you should see at least the original one provided by your carrier (in my case it was Rogers Internet).
stay in this screen and press the bottom left button, the menu key.
then you should see a menu bar show up at the bottom of the screen, with 2 choices: "new APN" or "Reset to default".
just hit "reset to default", then it will start running and within 5 seconds you will see the APN has changed! (mine changed from "xxx.diabled" to "xxx.apn")
then just leave this screen and within 15 seconds you will start to see the 4G logo coming up again!!!!

I'm so glad I insist to try everything before going to the Fatory reset route!! I really don't want to have to set up my phone again!!!!
Hope this will help save your phone too!
:)

Upvote 0
Hi Maztor, I have the same problem (I hate that battery saver!!) and I finally found a way to restore my 4G data connection WITHOUT resetting the whole phone!!
you should see at least the original one provided by your carrier (in my case it was Rogers Internet).
then you should see a menu bar show up at the bottom of the screen, with 2 choices: "new APN" or "Reset to default".
just hit "reset to default", then it will start running and within 5 seconds you will see the APN has changed! (mine changed from "xxx.diabled" to "xxx.apn")
then just leave this screen and within 15 seconds you will start to see the 4G logo coming up again!!!!

I'm so glad I insist to try everything before going to the Fatory reset route!! I really don't want to have to set up my phone again!!!!

THIS IS AWESOME! ive been frustrated by this problem all day and now fixed it! Thanks a bunch

Upvote 0
Hi
I am also facing the same problem . can you help me out too?

It says data mode is activated but the symbol doesn't show up at the top of the screen and the internet is not working. I have been trying out battery savers and etc and i think it messed it up. Now my data thing is messed up. It won't show up on my screen....maybe i hit something and didn't notice....i don't know! Please help! :eek::eek::eek:

ETA: I had "Juice Defender" on my phone and now it's all messed up....:rolleyes:

Upvote 0

thank you what you said worked and was so helpful thank you from alc2189

Upvote 0

well it did change my APN back to normal by doing what you said, and i read that my APN was disabled or something. I tried to get on the internet after restoring it to default but my 3g icon still hasn't showed up. my data is enabled. I tried restarting my phone but it still isn't working :thinking:

Upvote 0

Thank you for the tip, I switched my service from a Canadian provider to a German provider and I was tearing my hair out trying to figure out why my data was not working. I created the new APN and everything works great!

Upvote 0
AT&T Settings.

Sorry guys, but the most accurate way to fix the issue with not being able to send pictures through your text or data network will not show can be resolved by following these steps.

1. Press the settings/menu button (far left button)
2. Press Settings (bottom, middle)
3. Press Wireless and network (typically at the top)
4. Press Mobile networks (typically at the bottom)
5. Press Access Point Names
6. Press settings/menu button (far left button)
7. Press New APN
Type the following Setting:

Name: ATT WAP
APN: wap.cingular
Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
Port: 80
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
Password: CINGULAR1
Server: Not Set
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
MMS Port: 80
MCC: 310
MNC: 410
Authentication type: None
APN type: internet + mms + supl

Note: I advise restarting phone only after saving setting: Press settings/menu button (far left button) Click/Press SAVE on the screen

You can also email me if any complications: info@is247answers.com

Upvote 0
YES THIS WORKED FOR ME! THANKS SO MUCH!!!! I have a Samsung Infuse and suddenly today with no warning whatsoever I lost Network connection. I could connect on Wi-Fi no problem, but anything on the 4G network was gone. When I looked in phone info under Status the phone said "Network State: disconnected"

I had tried toggling Airplane mode, rebooting + still no go.

I tried a few other things I found on this site and then I found the below and it worked!

Now, my question is this: What is the deal with this problem and do I have to use this new APN all the time now?

AT&T Settings.

Sorry guys, but the most accurate way to fix the issue with not being able to send pictures through your text or data network will not show can be resolved by following these steps.

7. Press New APN

Proxy: removed so i could post
User name: removed so i could post
MMSC: removed so i could post
MMS Proxy: removed so i could post

Note: I advise restarting phone only after saving setting: Press settings/menu button (far left button) Click/Press SAVE on the screen

You can also email me if any complications: removed so I could post

Upvote 0
I'm Happy it worked for you!!!

The issue whit Samsung Infuse data network setting APN resetting has to do with but varies; sometimes the Samsung Infuse just resets on it's own or whenever you take the SIM card out, taking out the battery, and i also found out WiFi resets if from time to time.

For the most part, you will not have to worry about putting APN setting all the time, whoever, make sure you have the list of settings on hand.

Imani Smith
info@is247answers.com

Upvote 0

Cutesquirrel you are an absolute star!!!!! This has been 'doing my head in' for two days. Thanks so much x

Upvote 0
I'm having problems connecting to 4G. It's been a few weeks and I haven't really noticed until today, since I'm usually connected through wifi.

For me, it says "APN Empty". I tried entering all the information below then hit save and it reverted back to the "APN Empty/Add an APN?" page. When typing all the info. in, it already had MCC & MNC numbers. Those were:
MNC 260
I changed the numbers to the ones below when trying to add the APN. (Could this be because I have a different phone?? I'm phone illiterate..sorry!)

Help! I have a Sidekick 4G.

AT&T Settings.

7. Press New APN

Proxy: wireless.cingular.com
User name: WAP@CINGULARGPRS.COM
MMSC: http://mmsc.cingular.com
MMS Proxy: wireless.cingular.com

You can also email me if any complications: info@is247answers.com

Upvote 0
Just realized what I tried was for AT&T. I have T-Mobile. :smokingsomb: Below is straight from the web and helped me out:

Per T-Mobile:
Resolution Steps
Check settings and reset APN
Checking mobile network settings and resetting the APN resolves the majority of issues, and is much faster than verifying all settings.

If you have a battery saver app, check its settings. Some battery saver apps disable the APNs or data connection when the battery level gets low. You need to adjust these settings or uninstall the app to keep the data connection working
From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
Touch Settings.
Touch Wireless & networks. Depends on software version
Note: This varies on different software versions.
Android 1.6: Wireless Controls.
Garminfone: Wireless Manager.
Behold II: Phone Information.

Verify that the Airplane Mode or Flight Mode check box is cleared.
If you see a Mobile Network check box, verify it is selected.
Touch Mobile Networks.
If you see the following check boxes, verify they are selected:
Data Enabled
Use Packet Data
Data Roaming This will incur charges if you roam internationally, but it is required to receive data when roaming domestically.
Touch Access Point Names or APNs.
Press the Menu key.
Touch Reset to default.

From the Home screen, press the Menu key.
Touch Settings.
Touch Wireless & networks. Depends on software version
Note: This varies on different software versions.
Android 1.6: Wireless Controls.
Garminfone: Wireless Manager.
Behold II: Phone Information.

Touch Mobile Networks.
Touch Access Point Names or APNs.
If there is a T-Mobile APN, touch it. If not, press the Menu key, and touch New APN.
Verify and update the following settings for the Data APN:
Name: T-Mobile
APN: epc.tmobile.com
Proxy: <Not set>
Port: <Not set>
Username: <Not set>
Password: <Not set>
Server: <Not set>
MMSC: http://mms.msg.eng.t-mobile.com/mms/wapenc
MMS proxy: <Not set>
MMS port: <Not set>
MMS protocol: WAP 2.0
MNC: 260
Authentication type: <Not set>
APN type: <Not Set> OR Internet+MMS (depending on software version)
Press the Menu key.
Touch Save.
In the list of APNs, delete all others that may appear. If there is a FOTA APN, you may leave that one. To do this:
Touch the APN you want to delete.
Press the Menu key.
Touch Delete APN.
Verify that there is a circle next to the one remaining APN to show it is activated.
Perform a soft reset.
Test your data connection, by accessing a web page or sending a picture message (MMS).

I'm having problems connecting to 4G. It's been a few weeks and I haven't really noticed until today, since I'm usually connected through wifi.

For me, it says "APN Empty". I tried entering all the information below then hit save and it reverted back to the "APN Empty/Add an APN?" page. When typing all the info. in, it already had MCC & MNC numbers. Those were:
MNC 260
I changed the numbers to the ones below when trying to add the APN. (Could this be because I have a different phone?? I'm phone illiterate..sorry!)

Help! I have a Sidekick 4G.

Upvote 0

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!!

I made a profile just so I could say that cause I dealt with the issue for like 6 months and att didn't know Jack shit about how to fix it

PS: if you ever see me you may have your way with me

Upvote 0
I was having the same problem where wifi was working, but the phone would not connect to the internet via 3G. I tried everything in this thread, but then I came across another solution that fixed my problem:

I held down the button on the right side of the phone until the power off screen came up. Then I just chose the "Data Network Mode" option.

Problem instantly solved.

Apparently this option turns the 3G off and on. I must have previously hit it accidentally.

Hope this helps.
sp

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones