• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Desire is better than an iPhone because.......

I have also noticed that iPhone users feel the need to defend themselves vigorously whenever another phone is mentioned. You just need to hint about another phone and you get the reply "...but it's not as good as the iPhone".

I was going to say the Android community was different, as all they were interested in was their own phone and concentrating on making it better, but this thread has blown that out of the water! :-|

Upvote 0
The main difference imo, is the lack of freedom that the iphone offers. For example, little or no interaction between apps, no apps can "duplicate functionality" because Jobs is apparently terrified that somebody will do it better. being able to customise the way that information is presented to you, like messages, email, weather, appointments, etc.

Why the hell doesn't the iphone have a home page? This is a hugely important function of a smart phone & people don't even seem to realise it's missing. Having to switch between a bunch of different apps to see what's going on in your world is pretty inefficient.

sure currently, the specs of the desire are much better than the iphone, but I'd avoid that argument because that might change in june/july.

btw, the number of apps in itunes being much higher than the market is overrated as an advantage. How many different kinds of weather, twitter, torch, calc or fart apps do we really need? Just one, as long as it's a good one.

I second that! I never had an iPhone but I played with at least 20 so far from all generations (I'm working as an network admin so everyone at work comes to me when they have problems with their iphones). Since my first encounter with the iphone I knew I will never own the damn thing. I just won't buy such a "closed system" phone.
.....i love the the freedom of the android platform.
I second that too! :)

Upvote 0
Put an iPhone 3gs next to a Desire and I can only feel pity for the iPhone owner BUT I think OS4 could send us away with our tails between our legs.

and why exactly? because they will now be able to set a wallpaper?! what does os4 have that android doesn't? if i haven't missed something there is no customization on os4 whatsoever (no widgets, no real homescreen, just same dull menu like icons placed where homescreen should be), no real multitasking, no fm radio although is, allegedly, built in... and don't let me even started with hardware advantages of desire and android being open source os which is really a big thing when opposed to apple's ridiculously restrictive policy which really limits apps.

The iphone is better to most people because there are just so many more useful apps. Simple as that.

If you by useful apps mean idiotic games that make middle aged men act like children with special needs than yes it's that simple.

i'm sorry to be that illustrative but some of you have just wandered a little bit...
if anyone, desire owners should know the truth about myths created by apple propaganda like "app store full of useful applications"

Upvote 0
There are many more apps. Particularly paid apps. But are there really many more useful apps? What am I missing?

Loads of useful apps and they tend to be more slicker and with a better user interface too. For example, I have tried 3 unit converter apps on Android now with them all being very poor, not a problem with my ipod touch. Also things like The Guardian app. Ans obviously games, if you're into that.

You only have to look at peoples recommended apps for Android to see that most of them are just things like Astro, Advanced Task killer etc.

Upvote 0
If you by useful apps mean idiotic games that make middle aged men act like children with special needs than yes it's that simple.

i'm sorry to be that illustrative but some of you have just wandered a little bit...
if anyone, desire owners should know the truth about myths created by apple propaganda like "app store full of useful applications"

Your just sounded like all the other internet nerds who for some reason have a bee in their bonnet about Apple. Any idiot can work out that there the App Store is better at the moment, only a fanboy would disagree. I love my Desire, but at the moment there aren't that many killer apps. I can log into the App Store and find a few apps I want everytime.

Upvote 0
simple things like typing and clicking on tiny links in the browser are much easier and just works on the iPhone the user experience works.. hence making it such a popular phone... the desire/droid will only kill the iPhone if the apps get updated within competition and the UI is more user friendly (easier for non geeks, thick people to use)

i have both btw and loving my desire for the last week

Upvote 0
Useful apps on my ipod touch I have not yet found a decent equivalent for...although I'm sure some exist they are not the official one and are more basic

The Guardian
Eurosport
Sky Sports Football Centre
Rightmove
Lonely Planet Guides
Metro UK
Bristol map (offline)
RHS Grow Your Own
Games TM
National Trust
Tesco Clubcard
3 decent unit converters
Amazon UK
IMDB
London A-Z Atlas (offline)
Tube Deluxe
Skype (I have crap quality with Fring on the Desire)
Weightbot

That's just a few of the useful apps I have on my ipod touch, so you can forget your propaganda about the App store being full of fart apps and hand warmer ones.

Upvote 0
simple things like typing and clicking on tiny links in the browser are much easier and just works on the iPhone the user experience works.. hence making it such a popular phone... the desire/droid will only kill the iPhone if the apps get updated within competition and the UI is more user friendly (easier for non geeks, thick people to use)

i have both btw and loving my desire for the last week

What's so difficult to use about Android, particularly with Sense on top? Do you mean it's not idiot-proof? Not compatible with toddlers? I personally prefer UIs that offer options, complexities and such, myself. Not being five, I don't need to be treated like I'm five, you know?

Speaking of useful apps, does the iPhone have any app that lets you replace the godshit-ugly UI (without jailbreaking) with something halfway bearable? I continue not to get why people bleat about how "slick" the iPhone UI is. Grids of icons on a black background are the height of achievement, really? Maybe if you're blind and have the aesthetic sense of a brick.

Upvote 0
What's so difficult to use about Android, particularly with Sense on top? Do you mean it's not idiot-proof? Not compatible with toddlers? I personally prefer UIs that offer options, complexities and such, myself. Not being five, I don't need to be treated like I'm five, you know?

Speaking of useful apps, does the iPhone have any app that lets you replace the godshit-ugly UI (without jailbreaking) with something halfway bearable? I continue not to get why people bleat about how "slick" the iPhone UI is. Grids of icons on a black background are the height of achievement, really? Maybe if you're blind and have the aesthetic sense of a brick.

Maybe people don't care to have hundreds of options and control over the phone. Yeah the Desire is better for that and it looks better. But I think we're referring to apps available to download, and Apple wins hands down at the moment. Hopefully this will change, but it's going to take a while. Id I'm talking about slick and UI, then I'm referring to the quality of apps in comparison, not the iphone itself.

And if we're talking about entering texts and clicking on links and wanting to change some of the info in it, the iphone wins. Changing text and clicking on the correct part is a real pain on the Desire. On the iphone you can hold down and a little magnifying glass comes up which you can then scroll to get the cursor in the correct position. So far i haven't worked out a fix for the Desire, you just have to touch several times till you get the correct location.

Upvote 0
Maybe people don't care to have hundreds of options and control over the phone.
There's the rub. People don't all want the same thing. Some people don't want the flexibility of such control if it adds complexity where others welcome it with open arms. Some people would miss a Guardian or Tesco Clubcard (maybe not) app, where others will not and prefer free Google satnav, Layar or other apps which aren't available for iPhones.

For me, I've yet to see an app that comes close to making me wish I'd bought an iPhone yet.

Upvote 0
I'm a big fan of both platforms.

I like the iPhone for it's everyday reliability and the fact that it has a finished feel to it. I like Android because it's more exciting, more innovative, and breaking new ground all the time.

Which is best? Who for? Me? You? There's no definitive answer on that one.

I like the fact that Android has almost infinite possibilities - but I also like the Vetting that the app store offers. I'm in no doubt that the apps I have for my iPhone are far superior in quality, and I have far more choice. The Android apps are getting better and better all the time though.

Both need each other. We need both to be competitive so we have better choice. I've never understood the childish name-calling myself. Horses for courses.

Yes, your Desire IS better than your mate's iPhone (FOR YOU!).

Reactions: garym
Upvote 0
Useful apps on my ipod touch I have not yet found a decent equivalent for...although I'm sure some exist they are not the official one and are more basic

The Guardian
Eurosport
Sky Sports Football Centre
Rightmove
Lonely Planet Guides
Metro UK
Bristol map (offline)
RHS Grow Your Own
Games TM
National Trust
Tesco Clubcard
3 decent unit converters
Amazon UK
IMDB
London A-Z Atlas (offline)
Tube Deluxe
Skype (I have crap quality with Fring on the Desire)
Weightbot

That's just a few of the useful apps I have on my ipod touch, so you can forget your propaganda about the App store being full of fart apps and hand warmer ones.

I want:
Bloomberg
Reuters will have to do for now. Another thing when are EA going to start releasing iPhone quality apps on Android. Tiger Woods is piss poor on Android.
I agree that the Guardian app on the iPhone rocks. I bought it hours after it was released back in December. I'm actually going to email the Jonathon Moore and ask for an Android version. They should already have an S60 version, a Blackberry app and start planning a WP7 one.
My biggest wish would be Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars. And all the old PSP GTA ported to Android. And don't laugh but I would like Bing on Android.
My HTC Desire will arrive on Friday. I can't wait. I sold my unlocked iPhone 3G on Amazon UK last night.

Upvote 0
I'm sure it'll all come in the near future.

The Yanks are all over Android, but here in uptight Blighty we are in danger of turning it into the nerds platform.
It's not an easy message to market to the average user...

indeed in the UK its kinda gone the other way, people tend to be all over the iPhone and BB. but im sure once a few more handsets are launched the UK will stand to attention. US also have a big moto following/brand which UK lacks. i.e i don't know anyone with a moto since the razor days!

grainysand - think you was a bit harsh, not all smartphone users want/need what the android offers, nor do they care. hence the iPhone fills the market perfectly it brings a smartphone to users that necessarily would not want or think about getting one. also has a major "cool" factor which is mentioned above. in the UK the HTC/Droid doesn't have this yet

Upvote 0
Most iPhone users I come across quickly say "I've no idea what it does"

these are not potential android users, especially not in it's current form. Most iPhone users' take modding to mean buying a new back cover.

I think the teens may well pick up android and run with it. Gamers won't be bothered though.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones