1. Are you ready for the Galaxy S20? Here is everything we know so far!

My DIY Lego Dock

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by anthfett06, Dec 2, 2009.

1. Golden Falcon

Golden Falcon Newbie

This is pure genuis :)

2. esmith818

esmith818 Android Enthusiast

You can go to Lego's website and purchase individual blocks. Now if only anthfett06 could give us the parts list. :D

3. dcorn

dcorn Well-Known Member

Lego store. Seriously, there are 2 local malls that have one.

4. T0LLPHR33

T0LLPHR33 Well-Known Member

that's brilliant and pretty bad ass...looks like someone had fun building their dock...:)

nice job bro...might want to think about selling this to some of the guys here...it definitely looks better then the card board dock...rofl

5. carnadi88

carnadi88 Newbie

I'm impressed. I'm going to have to put my engineering skills to work and make one of my own.

6. jawn

jawn Lurker

That is legit.

7. anthfett06

anthfett06 Newbie

Unfortunately yes they were taken with my droid. It makes me sad too. The camera is awful on the droid. I think my LGvx8300 took better pictures than this. The last pic was taken with my cybershot.

But wow I didn't realize how much response this thread would get haha. As the one who requested a parts list. Well like I said before I barely had enough black pieces to get this altogether, so I used whatever I could. The best pieces to get I would say are the 2x4 and the 2x2 thick pieces, as well as a few longer ones. Some thin ones in the same sizes to hold them together. Oh and I had two 8x8 thin blocks on the bottom as a base plate I believe...

8. iancaz

iancaz Lurker

Okay, I'm REALLY intrigued by this thought, but needed to be able to visualize what it would look like. So I searched around & found the LEGO Digital Designer, which is a free program from LEGO!

LEGO Digital Designer : Virtual Building Software

9. Silverwing

Silverwing Member

Using that program, it costs roughly $30 to build one of those....i never really thought about how over priced lego was.

10. BottledHate

BottledHate Android Enthusiast

i built a decent one for about 24 bucks... it def has a few extras for show... antennas, "lights"... other than that, it's basic.

We should post them and see what we can colab.... the prog has a screen shot option i think... if not, control+shift+printscreen puts your desktop on the clipboard to past into any image editor...

i'll post tomorrow, off to bed!

11. BottledHate

i noticed if you just make a parts list and order individual items without their "package" and "directions", it comes out quite a bit cheaper.........................

12. Matthew

Matthew Well-Known Member

I think I might try this. I used to be the Lego master, though I feel I may have lost some of those skills. Still it will be interesting to see everyone's versions of the Lego dock.

13. Silverwing

Silverwing Member

how much cheaper?

14. BottledHate

well to buy the set that i put together through the program it costs $23.41....

i parted it out individually and it came to $10.25..... took me about 20 minutes to add all 52 pieces.

15. BottledHate

EDIT: Completed model that fits..
    EDIT: ____________**proof of concept *** this model won't fit droid. This was done by eye. After careful measurement i'm off by one block... which makes an odd number. which makes it harder. i'll post a completed model soon!______________

____________________________________-
    put this together in about 30 minutes... very simple. there are a couple extra pieces i'd order to make sure the droid fits ok and to hold the usb.

Other than that, basic, simple. lights are pointless... antennas are pointless... thingy on left is to hold audio cable.

if bought through the program... 24 buck....

part it out and buy individual pieces... 11 bucks....

[​IMG]

16. syntrix

syntrix Android Expert

anthfett06, great idea, I love it!!!!

17. mywhip

mywhip Member

[​IMG]

Only difference is it has to stand up, and its made for the moment.

18. BottledHate

very nice... i was thinking about wheels too...

19. mywhip

mywhip Member

can you tell me how you got your avatar?

And yeah, sadly the wheels aren't functional. I didn't have enough pieces for that.

20. Redflea

Redflea Android Expert

You guys are inspirational... :D

21. BottledHate

sure.. you can make them at nfggames or kaywa or if you really want to go down the rabbit hole libqrencode ;)

22. anthfett06

anthfett06 Newbie

Just a tip for those of you wanting to design or make your own. It does have to be fairly tall in order to accommodate the usb cord.

23. BottledHate

thanks for the tip! i might buy a right angle micro usb connector to accommodate. i'd like to keep it low profile.

24. Silverwing

Silverwing Member

I wonder how many pips thick the slot has to be to fit a droid with a body glove.

25. cmorty72

cmorty72 Lurker

Wow!!
    Good job!
    Unfortunately all I've got lying around to use are Mega Blox and Lincoln Logs.

Maybe I can fab something up from that (as long as the wife and my 2.5yr old don't mind). :D

Motorola Droid Forum

The Motorola Droid release date was November 2009. Features and Specs include a 3.7" inch screen, 5MP camera, 256GB RAM, processor, and 1400mAh battery.

November 2009
Release Date
Reviews