1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

General My Droid Razr Drowned

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by iploya, Jan 4, 2012.

1. iploya

iploya Android Enthusiast

Aug 25, 2010
    Dropped my new Droid Razr in the hot tub on the ski trip I just got back from. Been 48 hours without a phone. Fortunately I have Asurion. It's on back order.

Do I get some sort of prize for being (probably) the FIRST one to destroy a Razr via water? :p

Advertisement

jroc and Podivin like this.
  2. rnlcomp

rnlcomp Android Enthusiast

Aug 2, 2011

Sent mine in for repair amd Moto lost it, they sent me back an empty box, gotta talk to the supervisor tomorrow and see what's what.

3. soba1

soba1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    U know I think I read somewhere that putting it in rice may dry it out. Try it out just for the heck of it for a day or two if u ha e the time

4. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    I guess that water repellent nanocoating wasn't good enough in your case. How long did it stay submersed and was it turned on at the time?

5. Droidfarmer

Droidfarmer Lurker
    None

Jan 4, 2012
    after 2 months the glass inside seems to have broke. Screen went black but the is light underneath it. Sent back to Moto. Instead of points against my assurion account. Sounds like a 2 week turn around. Had to comandere the kids phone. I thought this phone was tough. Gurilla glass should be monkey glass.

6. The Grim RAZR

The Grim RAZR Newbie
    None

Jan 5, 2012
    General Laborist.
    Washington State

That only works with a removal battery, which the DROID RAZR fails to have.

7. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

I think that is for tofu ;) :)

8. rushmore

rushmore Android Expert
    None

Nov 13, 2008
    Kentucky

That is why it is water "repellent" and not "proof". Not heard of a diving phone Razr ;)

9. iploya

Aug 25, 2010
    It was on at the time. I took a direct dive from the chair to the water, at which point I desperately lunged my hands toward it. Missed it, and it continued to the bottom of hot tub. At that point, I held my breath (not a strong swimmer) and ducked under water to grab it, like rescuing a drowning child. Total submerge time probably less than 5 seconds.

It did lots of funny stuff when I pulled it out - the flash bulb illuminated...the status bulb changed from bright green to red and back...the display was out....the keys were ineffective...and the battery back then got really warm. I'd say it's done.

I tried drying it with a hair dryer, to no avail. And yes, without a removable battery back I don't think the rice can absorb the water.

10. you2

you2 Android Expert
    None

Jun 29, 2010
    This is a common remity (use of rice or similar) for electronic equipment. The theory is that the dry rice will absorb the water before the electronics can oxidize. Usually the comment includes applying a small amount of heat (around 100F) and (naturally) the electronics should be off with the battery removed (as water acts as a conductor).

In theory the electronics for the razr are coated so when the device completely drys it might be ok (not sure what the water did to the battery). Clearly while it is wet it is unlikley to function normally; so I would give it a day or two to dry out and see if it works (one thing I'm not sure about is how difficult it will be for the water that did get inside to evaporate out given the design).

Here is a nice step to step action to take (though most of it is not relevant to the razr):
    How to Save a Wet Cell Phone: 12 steps (with pictures) - wikiHow

(step 8 mentions the use for rice for those curious)

11. cmubwanel

cmubwanel Member
    None

Oct 25, 2011
    Defense Consultant
    Springfield, VA
    I would disagree as my colleague had his i*hone 3GS get submerged in water and then, after ordering the 4G he put it in rice and it did work.

12. edstewbob

edstewbob Well-Known Member
    None

Jul 5, 2010
    South Carolina
    If you had used my case you may have been OK. :D

Here is what I did to revive my water logged and dis-functional DX as well as a pedometer that went through the washing machine. I heated the oven to it's lowest setting and validated with an oven thermometer that it was 115 degrees, kinda like a normal summer day in Phoenix. I removed the battery and placed the phone/pedometer on the oven rack sitting on a silicon pot holder. I doubt it matters what it is sitting on but when the oven came back on to maintain the temperature I didn't want the heat to flow directly onto the electronic devices. I left it in the oven for 3-4 hours and then let it cool down before putting the battery back in. Voila this did the trick for me. Of course I can't recommend that anyone use this method but it worked for me, as long as the oven was kept at a low enough temperature. I heard all about the rice method but wasn't sure how that could help dry inaccessible electronic components. The RAZR of course is a different matter since the battery can't be removed. Also, it is well know that the life of a lithium ion battery is reduced when heated up but I doubt if 3-4 hours would make much of a different.

I don't recommend this method and don't take any responsibility for any one that tries it and just passing along something that worked for me.

13. iploya

Aug 25, 2010
    I just plugged it in, just for grins. The LED glows white. The screen does nothing in response to pushing the power button. I'd say it's DONE. Like well-burnt toast, or charbroiled steak.

Fortunately, Asurion got a shipment today and I should have my replacement tomorrow.

14. soba1

soba1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    Cool..... well we know for sure. The Razr is water resistant not water proof...
    But water poof... get it.::rolleyes:rolleyes:

15. iploya

Aug 25, 2010
    LOL, yes. Water......POOF!!!

16. soba1

soba1 Well-Known Member
    None

Jan 6, 2010
    For the record Cnet did run water over the phone for a bit to verify its water resistant claim. So I am not paranoid about leaving my phone on the table with liquid filled glasses. Or paranoid around running water. Or the first few drops of rain.....

17. iploya

Aug 25, 2010
    Water falling on the Razr should be fine. If you look at it, it's a mostly sealed system where the glass joins the body of the phone on the top side, and there's no battery back to leak water in on the bottom side.

Razr falling in water is another story. Notice the HDMI and USB ports on the upper edge. That's an unobstructed point of entry for water that goes directly into the camera portion.