1. Check out our app, Forums for Android! Download and leave feedback here!

General My Eris has developed several problems!!

Discussion in 'Android Devices' started by doo567, Jan 15, 2010.

1. doo567

doo567 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    My Eris has some apps that have stopped working. Google Maps & Latitude, Youtube, the Market will not load properly and will either give error messages or won't load at all. Gmail, Voice, Gtalk and the web still work. I have did a couple reboots, pulled the battery, cleared the cache and nothing has helped. Any suggestions short of a factory restore or the Verizon store?

Advertisement

2. OfTheDamned

OfTheDamned The Friendly Undead

Oct 29, 2009
    Right Behind You
    Sorry to say it, but I think a factory reset is your best option.

3. doo567

doo567 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Ok the interesting thing is that everything started to work when I went on WIFI and when I go back to 3G it doesn't??

4. hrbib21

hrbib21 Well-Known Member

Nov 24, 2009
    Pro Desk Driver
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Longshot but have you tried a taskiller app? Try Advanced Task Manager and shut down any running programs/apps that you aren't using right this second and see if that helps.

5. doo567

doo567 Active Member

Nov 9, 2009
    Verizon replaced my phone. I got a brand new phone and new battery. Amazingly this phone's battery is about 2x to 3x better then my first. I installed all the same apps I had before, except battery widgets. I can go easily 24+ hours on a single charge with my normal usage patterns. I have everything on! Including Enable always on mobile network, google syncing, etc. I also have GPS on 24/7, which I think Maps uses when it needs to. The only problem I have run into is the Youtube can't play video. Other then that it feels like a different phone. I have received both updates.

Ironically, the Verizon tech recommended I use Advanced Task Killer! I know there is a lot of talk about that. I do use it occasionally, but not sure it really helps.

My new Eris is running so well, not sure I even want 2.1 at the moment!!

6. smacky

Jan 11, 2010
    The Youtube App is still a problem. You'll have to wait a bit for that to be fixed. Or maybe in two days it will be.

7. thetingster

thetingster Well-Known Member

Dec 27, 2009
    Top Secret
    Utah, USA
    YES YouTube still has issues.... I can confirm that. ;-(

8. swe3t23

swe3t23 Well-Known Member

Dec 2, 2009
    i have so much problems with my app. The weather channel doesn't even update. SportsTap widget stop working for me after the ota update.

did a factory reset all but still. But is just ridiculous that we have to do a factory reset after every ota update.

i feel like throwing the phone out the window.

9. doogald

doogald Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    This must be part of their Android training, because I have been in a Verizon Wireless Store twice since getting the Eris to buy accessories and both times the (different) salesmen asked if I was using a Task Killer.

10. Bswartz95

Bswartz95 Well-Known Member

You keep GPS on all the time? Even when you're inside? Does anyone else do this? I thought this was a battery killer.

I just downloaded SportsTap a few days ago. It's working pretty good for me so far.

11. whewstoosae

whewstoosae Well-Known Member

Dec 8, 2009
    SC
    I don't think I've ever turned off my gps. It pretty much stays dormant unless an app needs to use it.

12. doogald

doogald Well-Known Member

Jan 7, 2010
    Yes, I do this, so that when I want to use an app that uses GPS for locations services, it'll be ready to go. When you are not using an app like that, the GPS radio is not drawing power, or so I understand.

I've used Sportstracker (I think it is) and My Tracks to keep track of my runs, every once in a while - when I am running a loop for the first time, usually - though I suppose I rarely use it and could turn the setting off. That said, it's nice to turn on Google Maps and have the GPS lock in pretty fast.