• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

Root My EVO is Freeesh!

Does anyone know if they are working on or will be creating a version of the auto root/kitchen for the Evo for us non adb Rooters? I currently have unrevoked's version and am a little skeared to try the adb/sdk root method so I was really waiting on the fresh kitchen auto root like we had for the Hero. Anyone have any info?

Upvote 0
Does anyone know if they are working on or will be creating a version of the auto root/kitchen for the Evo for us non adb Rooters? I currently have unrevoked's version and am a little skeared to try the adb/sdk root method so I was really waiting on the fresh kitchen auto root like we had for the Hero. Anyone have any info?

Flipz has stated through twitter that he is working on a one button windows root kitchen.

flipzmod3: Home for a couple of days. Going to work on a windows only one-click rooter for the Evo 4g (the start of a new kitchen). Release date TBA. (06/01/2010 6:48:32 AM from TweetDeck)

Upvote 0

You don't need adb to root the phone. You just put the .zip on your SD card, and it installs. You can download ROM Manager to install a custom recovery then and flash back to rooted stock without ever touching a computer

-------------
Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

Upvote 0
Question: Do the soft buttons light up for you? They don't for me and, while it's obviously not a big deal, it is a little bit annoying.

Far more annoying, however, is that I can't seem to get peep installed--not only does the phone come without many of the bundled features (many of which I would have deleted anyway... but not all of them), but it seems to have an aversion to actually installing them. Neither this nor the FM radio will install--I can run straight off of the .apks and it will go through the process seemingly successfully, then tell me that the application did not install. Do you have this problem?

Upvote 0
I just installed 0.1d and it works great so far, significantly speedier than the stock rom, free tether works great!

Can't wait to test it out more and keep up with some updates.

My lights don't seem to go off, did you do a factory wipe? I kind of wish they went off though, I got horrible light leakage.

Upvote 0
Good lord, what a pain... reflashed back to original Toast root, sound worked again, then flashed fresh, sound still worked... tested speed, it was crap again... did radio update, then 4g update, now 4g won't even turn on (but sound works). What a mess. I've spent about 6 hours on this today alone.

Just to be sure, you've been correctly wiping and everything, right? You might want to check out the official thread on xda for some input straight from Flipz.

-------------
Sent from my HTC EVO 4G using Tapatalk Pro.

Upvote 0
love my freshtoast! and the 4g has been fixed!!
1zxvz0l.jpg

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones