• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My Evo Review

shadrap

Android Enthusiast
Oct 18, 2009
Ok guys, I have had my EVO for a day and thought I would share my opinion. My my last three phones were as follows. Palm Pre, iPhone 3gs, and HTC Hero, in case I do any comparisons. By the way, I am posting this from my EVO.

The screen size of the EVO is amazing. It is the perfect size for portable videos, gaming, and web surfing. This was the very first thing that I noticed. Now I know some of you are worried that the phone may be too big, it isn't. It has a great feel in the hand and the curves make it feel natural.

The build quality is second to none. I mean this whole heartedly. The only thing I could see being better is the battery door, but you only notice how thin it is when its off. When it is in one piece though this phone is as solid as they come. Again this is the best built phone I have ever owned. The kick stand is great and yes there is a magnet to keep it closed.

The phone is fast and the OS is smooth. Every previous android user will appreciate the keyboard, like I said I am typing all this on the EVO. iPhone users will find the speed and accuracy similar. Web browsing is awesome, this is the fastest I have ever experienceed on a phone. Multi touch is great and on par with the iPhone.

The camera is the best I have seen on a phone. Pictures are clear and vibrant. The video is good, but not anything that stands out and certainly ain't gonna replace your camcorder.

The mobile hot spot is easy to setup and works flawlessly. I even used it to stream netflix on my ps3.

Battery life. I don't know how. But it is better than the Hero. I did learn to keep 4G off unless in use though.

Now my only negative with the phone. It should have been left as just a 3G phone. I live in an area with seasoned 4G and can not keep a signal while moving or when I go into a building. Also, the speeds are not as advertised, not even close. I averaged around 2.1 megs, that's it and the funny thing is it would go as low as 450 klbs and then up to 2.4 megs even when tested back to back. Clear wire needs to get there stuff together and Sprint should drop the $10 fee. It is not worth it and people will be dissatisfied.

Overall, this is the best phone I have ever owned and I am glad Sprint has for once set the bar.

So... You are liking it much better than the Hero???

I just got a Hero, but am planning on trading for the Evo before my 30 days is up. I have 12 days once the Evo hits to make up my mind so I am watching for every review from a previous Hero owner.

Thank you for posting. Keep your thoughts coming please over the next few days.

Upvote 0
I still plan to get the phone. I am near Raleigh, NC. I've been cautiously optimistic about the 4G performance in my area. I'm curious where you tested the 4G in NC? Since Mayberry is a fictional community (i.e. Andy Griffith), so I assume it's Mount Airy?

I live in Greensboro. One of the oldest 4G markets, yesterday I drove the 85 corridor Greensboro to Raleigh and back. The 4G is not what I thought it would be. The signal goes up and down and the speed can change dramatically. 3G is much more stable with good constant speed.

I do not see the $10 fee sticking around for long, but will see.

Upvote 0
shadrap, again, thank you for this fantastic post. I am in Raleigh as well.

4G isn't a huge issue for me. If I get it, that's wonderful and maybe really useful. But I am in love wit what I thi9nk the Evo will be as a phone, 4G is just icing on the cake. And even with the extra $10 AND $7 for insurance, I am still gonna be spending $30 less a month than I was with Helio.

As it is, I have crap 3G service when I am inside at home. Lose at least 3 calls a day, maybe have 2 bars at best. As long as I can connect with my wifi server while I am at home, I don't really care. ALL I care is how good he phone itself is. Over the next 2 years, I am assuming 4G will just get better and better

Upvote 0
I live in Greensboro. One of the oldest 4G markets, yesterday I drove the 85 corridor Greensboro to Raleigh and back. The 4G is not what I thought it would be. The signal goes up and down and the speed can change dramatically. 3G is much more stable with good constant speed.

The $10 fee isn't for 4G service (in Sprint's mind), so I doubt you'll see it go anywhere.

Upvote 0
I am sitting in a park right now. The 4G speed I am currently getting is 2.8 megs. Don't get me wrong 2.8 is good and makes the phone blaze. I just wished it was consistent.

Tried to send you a PM last nite but not sure if it went thru...anyway, I'm in the Greensboro area too, and was hoping for something in the 3 -4 mb range. Maybe Sprint will continue tweaking their coverage .

Oh well, I'm still excited! ... And thanks for the review.

Upvote 0
How is the call quality? I returned my Incredible because the call quality was terrible when talking to other mobile users. I loved everything else about the phone and am anxious to hear reports on the call quality on the EVO.

Call quality is good and average for a cell phone.

The phone is activated on a google I/O account.

Upvote 0

lol, I live in Burlington!!!!!! But yeah, if you look at the coverage map for this area you see that only the City area are covered, between burlington and Hillsborough there is a BIG gap

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones