• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My experience with upgrading to Gingerbread through Kies!

M_Shaaban

Apr 15, 2011
I will try to briefly explain my experience with upgrading to Gingerbread.

First, it took me a few times to be able to upgrade and have a stable and fast installation.

I got the best results by following these steps. First, I backed up everything I needed, unroot, reset to factory setting, and I formatted my SD card then upgraded. Then I rooted and installed Move2SD Enbaler and installed my apps one by one.

So far everything is working much better and much faster including much more free space. Facebook display image is now correctly displayed when calling or receiving a call. The only thing that lags is when you try to unlock the phone, everything else is better and faster. The keypad is way better and no longer lagging and slow appearance of letters and words.

I recommend the upgrade but speaking from personal experience it's much better to follow these steps.

I'm from Egypt. Build number: GINGERBREAD.JPKP9

Good luck!

I will try to briefly explain my experience with upgrading to Gingerbread.

First, it took me a few times to be able to upgrade and have a stable and fast installation.

I got the best results by following these steps. First, I backed up everything I needed, unroot, reset to factory setting, and I formatted my SD card then upgraded. Then I rooted and installed Move2SD Enbaler and installed my apps one by one.

So far everything is working much better and much faster including much more free space. Facebook display image is now correctly displayed when calling or receiving a call. The only thing that lags is when you try to unlock the phone, everything else is better and faster. The keypad is way better and no longer lagging and slow appearance of letters and words.

I recommend the upgrade but speaking from personal experience it's much better to follow these steps.

I'm from Egypt. Build number: GINGERBREAD.JPKP9

Good luck!

hey is rootin the phone safe ..
i still hv phone is warranty period .. ll it be ok if root .?

Upvote 0
kunalasrani
You can unroot at anytime. It's easy and safe as far as I know. Keep in mind that I'm not an expert -just one of the Android newbies around.

Good luck!

i think if you root then un-root it might still say root access in the "about phone" section,. im not 100% sure but worth looking into if you dont wanna void warranty

edit: a few sites say unroot to get warranty back so i could easily be wrong :D

Upvote 0
i found not much difference but the ones i noticed were bad untill (read on)

average ram usage seems to be a few mb higher then froyo.
the phone seemed close to unacceptable running live wallpapers.
when it lagged it lagged like a mofo.
gps takes longer to lock.
more internal memory used.

the reason for all of these?.....came to be the newest google maps update, i found gmaps was taking up like 15-17mb internal memory and since the update it could not be moved to sdcard even with adb command, also google maps was constantly running a massive amount of ram even when not in use and gps switched off. this thus was making the phone lock up and lag like amy winehouse on a monday morning and thats why the livewallpapers were moving 3pixles an hour. lol after uninstalling the googlemaps update everything went to what i think it should be like lol and after a bit of fecking around with codes n commands ive got everything back to the sdcard and now have 86 apps installed :D :D :D :D

Reactions: socrates0
Upvote 0
Like I said, with me it's faster and i have free internal memory space !

I think the people above is talking about experiences without rooting.

Maybe if we think about the free RAM, we can consider that the apps can run faster and load with a lower speed (if it's in SD card) Am I right ?

I didnt feel any system speed difference after KIES upgrade to GB 2.3.4. The most significant change was in the CAMERA. Now it can support video at 640x480 - 30fps.

GPS is very slow to detect Satelites in my city. Maybe 1 minute or more. The same for Froyo vs.

I am very scared yet about ROOTING my phone and loose the warranty (only 3 days using yet!).

Thx for all the replies.

Upvote 0
I've just updated in Kies to 2.3.3 and in some cases the phone is slower, for ex. when accessing the clock in order to set up an alarm. On the other hand in the menu is considerably faster.
The battery life dropped from 4 days to 2 days. The proximity sensor sometimes is slower.

My phone suffers from the well known sleep of death, I try to figure out if it solved or not the problem with this update.

Know, when I connect it to Kies it reports "This device cannot be updated", wtf does this mean??

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones