• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My findings on the $40, $50 and $60 LTE plans through Metro Pcs.

raysfan

Feb 12, 2012
After searching the internet hi and low for what exactly Metro Pcs considered "multimedia streaming access", I think I have the answer. From my experience, after switching to the $50 plan, any video, watched on an app or even via web browser, has counted toward my data usage. Audio streaming, downloads from the Market, and web surfing, through web and 3rd party apps, have not affected my usage.

Sorry if this has already been covered in another forum, but if it has I sure couldn't find it. Just wanted to pass my findings along.

I have been wondering about this forever as well. I have talked to many people and read many threads about this, and I think you are right. I have been saying to people forever that you don't need the $60 plan unless you watch a lot of YouTube videos.

Those Metro reps really try to sell the hell out of that $60 plan though, don't they? lol Not only that, but try to get a straight answer out of any of them about the difference between the $50 and $60 plan, it's amazing how uninformed the reps are (assuming they are not outright lying to you, lol)!

Upvote 0
Yea, I'm not sure if there just misinformed, or lying. I had one guy tell me that everything counts towards data and that once you reach your limit, your data is cut off all together. I inew that couldn't be the case because it states "unlimited 4g web" on every ploicy.

I decited to just drop down the the $40 plan as I don't want many videos at all, and if I want to watch a little more than normal, I can always use any cut to turn my 4g off and stream them via 3g. A little slower but not that big of a deal for me.

Upvote 0
After searching the internet hi and low for what exactly Metro Pcs considered "multimedia streaming access", I think I have the answer. From my experience, after switching to the $50 plan, any video, watched on an app or even via web browser, has counted toward my data usage. Audio streaming, downloads from the Market, and web surfing, through web and 3rd party apps, have not affected my usage.

Sorry if this has already been covered in another forum, but if it has I sure couldn't find it. Just wanted to pass my findings along.

Well, thanks for the info. Helped greatly.

Upvote 0
That's what they say, but it's not true. Now, you may have to sign up for the $60 plan initially, but after the first month, you can always call and switch to the $50 plan. Funny thing is, if you get a 4g phone, you actually have the option to go down to the $40 plan, which only includes 100mb of video streaming.

You really cant beat the $40 a month plan for 4g if you don't plan on streaming any videos. Most prepaid carries are more than that without the 4g.

Ive also found that though I initially thought Youtube counted against my data, I don't think it does. HBOGO seems to be the only thing I've been able to find that actually does count against the usage. Have been using Iheart radio, Pandora, ect. for a while now and my meter never moves.

I even heard that you can still wifi teether and it won't count against the usage, not that I would do such a thing. :D

Upvote 0
I think you have to call, but maybe that just me because I have multiple lines. If its a single line you can give it a shot. It wont change your due date, they will just pro rate your upcoming amount because you pay in advance. So instead of refunding you, you will just pay less on your upcoming bill.

Upvote 0
Anybody ever use the iheart radio app??? does that count a data streaming??? I would imagine it would I'd just like to get some confirmation from someone who knows....
I use Pandora and Google music a lot, and my data usage does not move past 0%. My bill due date is coming up in about a week and will be moving down to the $40 plan.

Upvote 0
I am on the $40 plan. Pandora, I heart Radio, ect donlt count toward my usage. Just netflix and hbogo, an similar video streaming apps

I'm interested in moving down to the $50 plan as my bill is due today. How much netflix time do you think I'd have on average with that plan? I don't watch youtube and I use Pandora frequently. Could use some help deciding whether to stay with my current plan or switch. Thanks!

Upvote 0
I just purchased the LG Connect 4G. I got the $50 4g plan with that. If I wanted to switch to the $40 4G plan I could go online and change it? If I did that, My next payment is due on 4/6/12. Could I switch over to the $40 plan on that day and pay the $40 instead of the $50 for my current plan?

I never tried doing it online but probably. You can call 888 8metro8 for sure. You'll pay less than $40 since you payed $50 for this month and switched to the $40 plan. They will prorate this month between the 40 and 50 plans.

Reactions: Mexjoker
Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones