1. Download our Official Android App: Forums for Android!

My First Impression with NV/LTE=Underwhelming

Discussion in 'Sprint' started by badankles, Apr 17, 2013.

1. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    Meh. This forum has been quiet, so I thought I give it a kick. :rolleyes:

I am currently in one of the NV/LTE rollout second round market. Was quite excited when 4G showed up on my SG Note 2 notification bar. It was intermittent of course, understandable, and the pain with tower switching, missed calls, text, voicemails, etc.

But then I had an opportunity to be in Atlanta, a fully NV/LTE covered area per Sprint NV map, for a few days. I was totally psyched, but it turned out underwhelming. I'm a bit sad and kicking myself for thinking Sprint would deliver. I don't know, maybe it was the circumstances, but I feel it's a lame excuse on Sprint's part if so.

Meaning, the time I was there was a busy time. It was the NCAA Final Four weekend. (I wasn't there to attend the games, none were my teams so didn't want to fork out the dough for the actual games, but the spectacle of it all was quite a show.)

I got into town late afternoon on Thursday and stayed in the middle of the area; the Georgia Dome, the CNN building, the Olympic Park, the Aquarium, the Coca-Cola building and the surrounding high rises of hotels and such.

My hotel room was almost the top floor of the Hilton, the 13th floor (yep). 4G was definitely present and worked "great" with 4-6Mbps down and 2Mbps up. I was thrilled, as it was better than the hotel wi-fi. I didn't think it sucked that much juice, but I think because it had a constant 4G connection, except from within the middle of the hotel.

The next morning, Friday and until late afternoon Saturday, when I left Atlanta, NV/4G pretty much failed. When not on wi-fi or deep in buildings, the 4G icon shows, but the data throughput was terrible. I even changed my mobile radio setting to exclude LTE and the 3G was even worse. WTH? :thinking:

Was it because of the crowds? I don't know. Even if it was, I can't believe there were that many added Sprint devices where it would be such a strain on a supposedly established NV/4G area. If it was, then we're SOL with sticking with Sprint and their "Vision".

For the folks in the midst of the first round market, please tell me it was an anomaly. I got my SG Note 2 in December, so I'm on the hook for 2 years. :eek::(

Advertisement

2. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Male
    EUSA
    Long Island, NY
    While I am not in Atlanta, I can say that I have not experienced what you did in ATL in NYC. However, I do know that towers are always subject to be deactivated for maintenance on the downtilt, backhaul, etc. That is subject to Sprint's desire to make that tower more responsive for their customers.

Without further (and more detailed) information, I can only speculate what was the issue during your short trip.

Either way, NV is going strong in NYC. I can't wait for the market to complete. Current standing presents us at between 65%-70%.

3. badankles

badankles Android Expert
    None

Jul 19, 2010
    USA
    Good to hear about NYC. If Sprint decided to do maintenance that weekend in ATL then it was bad planning, IMO. Unless it was an outrage, which bodes a bit of concern that they can't handle the load.

4. NYCHitman1

NYCHitman1 Gun for Hire
    None

Oct 16, 2009
    Male
    EUSA
    Long Island, NY
    I see it happen very often near my office in Manhattan. On a good day, the tower is active and permitting 4G LTE connectivity. On a bad day, you get nothing. Upon further investigation, it was due to Sprint not being satisfied with how the vendor set up various aspects to that particular tower, thus requiring it to be re-adjusted. It will happen from time to time from what I have been told. All I know is that I'm happy that Sprint cares enough to remain on top of the situation and require the deployment vendor to make modifications (no matter how slight).

Attached Files: