• After 15+ years, we've made a big change: Android Forums is now Early Bird Club. Learn more here.

My first impressions of the phone

You guys are crazy, the glossy back makes it incredibly difficult to hold onto. It slips all over the place. I sure hope someone makes a matte back for it.

I agree, its really slippery in my hands as well. I don't wanna be the Debbie Downer in this thread but i've had too many crashes with my Fascinate already that I'm gonna return it. I probably have a lemon, but I can't change that.

If I didn't have the problems with the phone crashing, this would be PHONE OF THE MILLENNIUM. It's fast as hell, browsing is as smooth as an iphone, pages load really fast, games run smooth too. The screen is a beauty, the camera is really good, call quality is good too.

The only bad thing I can say about it is the bloat that Verizon put on it, which isn't really that bad cause you never have to touch the apps, but it would be nice to be able to delete them.

Upvote 0
So far I like the hardware & software of the phone, however I am having serious issues with the phone's signal (noticed similar problems on other Samsung phones as well)....at my house it's bouncing between 0-1 bars and some times no signal, where as my DINC was getting 1-2 bars and my wife's Droid 2 is showing 3-4. Clearly the Samsung antennas are underpowered for some reason....perhaps they do that to save battery.

Upvote 0
Actually the Fascinate (galaxy s) has hdmi out. It is rather warp but samsung has a special usb to hdmi cable. No clue how much it cost.

I guess all the traffic is here now ... I guess I'll add my impressions to this thread instead of the old one:

4. HDMI out. (this is only partially to mostly functional on the DX. You'd have FULLY functional standard def video all the time on the Fascinate, so it's not a total loss by any means)

Upvote 0
Araliss,

Looking under the battery there doesn't seem to be any indication of date of manufacture. Perhaps its coded as something? there's a line that reads 10.08 500V. Does the .08 mean august.

Either way I may just go into a store and ask to use another one to compare.

Thanks

That is a August date you have. You may want to exchange it for another one. I don't have that now like I did with the epic.

Upvote 0
You guys are crazy, the glossy back makes it incredibly difficult to hold onto. It slips all over the place. I sure hope someone makes a matte back for it.

There is way too much shiny plastic as well, I'm hoping Samsung or some other 3rd party vendor makes a matte battery cover in the future.

If we don't get one of these, we might get an invisible shield or something like that for the back of the phone. Usually those protectors take away some of the slip.

Yes. I have the 2200mah extended battery. Taking it off the charger at around 7am and having heavy use (i mean heavy) it lasts until around 9pm before needing to be charged again.

Could you post some pictures of what this looks like? Pretty please...

One owner of this phone (pre-release tester), might have been on another forum, but he said that it fits within the normal battery cover. I sure hope so. I wouldn't want to do anything to disturb the fine design lines of this device!

Actually the Fascinate (galaxy s) has hdmi out. It is rather warp but samsung has a special usb to hdmi cable. No clue how much it cost.

A Samsung rep (if legit) posted on his twitter that this cable wasn't designed for galaxy S phones at all, that it was a mistake listing on their website, and I will not believe it until I can read a confirmed story of someone actually using that cable with a Galaxy S phone on their TV. I did LOTS of searching (granted, it's been a few days since) but I couldn't find anyone that could actually confirm that they received one of these cables and that it worked. If you found someone that did, you would be giving the Fascinate thread some of the best news possible right now.

Upvote 0
I agree, its really slippery in my hands as well. I don't wanna be the Debbie Downer in this thread but i've had too many crashes with my Fascinate already that I'm gonna return it. I probably have a lemon, but I can't change that.

If I didn't have the problems with the phone crashing, this would be PHONE OF THE MILLENNIUM. It's fast as hell, browsing is as smooth as an iphone, pages load really fast, games run smooth too. The screen is a beauty, the camera is really good, call quality is good too.

The only bad thing I can say about it is the bloat that Verizon put on it, which isn't really that bad cause you never have to touch the apps, but it would be nice to be able to delete them.

Get it swapped out and try again? Sounds like you like it a lot, but have a lemon as you said. I've not had any crashes.

Upvote 0
I'm a newbie here. I'm very interested in getting the fascinate. I went to the VW store yesterday to play with the fascinate for a while. One thing I really disliked about it was the browser, mostly because when I tried to go to a website like MLB.com or yahoo.com, the browser took me to the mobile only version of those sites. I couldn't find a way to change this in the settings.
Do any of you that have the phone already know how to change this? Or does no one else consider this to be a fault with the phone?

Upvote 0
Verizon sales them online or in most retail stores for 49.99. I had originally posted 69.99, but the price dropped :)

And yes, it doesnt need a new back because of the wasted space the stock back has. And IMO, the extra weight really helps the feel of the phone.

Thanks! So strange then that they ship it with a "extended battery door" per the website ... Just ordered mine.

Upvote 0
you must have a lemon, mine hasn't crashed at all and I've been using it since yesterday morning.

agree with others that the back is slippery.. thinking of maybe putting on the full invisishield when it comes out to help with that. power button on the side will take some getting used to, but no biggy...

Upvote 0
the extended battery uses the standard back?? I was just going by the verizon website and it said like pointed out above that it came with another back (so I assumed it was a hump back). I'll probably get it after reading this, although the stock battery does seem to last a long time. Maybe somebody will come out with a cheaper 2200 on Ebay like they did with the extended dinc battery.

Upvote 0

BEST TECH IN 2023

We've been tracking upcoming products and ranking the best tech since 2007. Thanks for trusting our opinion: we get rewarded through affiliate links that earn us a commission and we invite you to learn more about us.

Smartphones